Borrowing gear ettiquete

rusn007

Mar 20, 2012
Sherman Oaks, CA
Name
Stan
Boat
N/A
Hey guys, I have accumulated some decent gear over the past couple of years. I only have 3 tuna setups and 1 for rockfishing (Penn Fathom levelwind). I try to take care of my gear - wash and dry all my reels and rods after every use.

Recently my friend started to show interest in fishing and I have brought him with me on a couple rockfishing trips. He doesn't have any gear himself and is a noob. Initially he was using a rental conventional reel and was having a hard time, so I let him borrow my levelwind. He loved it and has been asking to borrow every time we go on a boat.

Rockfishing may not be the most exciting fishing, but it helps when you have a levelwind reel. He has been doing really well. In fact, last 2 trips he would have won jackpot if he was playing. I'm very happy for his success and its always good to have a friend with you on a boat.

Here is the issue, every time I turn around, my reel is on the floor. I know he doesn't do it intentionally, but his drinking doesn't help. I mentioned to him a few times to try and keep it from falling. My previously flawless reel has some decent boat rash scars all over.

I'm delighted with his success but starting to miss my levelwind. What is the etiquette on borrowing gear?

Upvote 0

slapazz

Dec 20, 2010
west hills
Name
mike
Boat
17' sportcraft
I feel newbies just don't get it. They think it's a "fishing pole" and don't realize the money we have in our equipment. They are use to cheap ass set ups for lakes and such. We had one guy that saw me washing the boat down in between stops and he started doing it too. Cool, except for he started washing the rods and reels too if they were dirty/scaley. I told him he shouldn't and he thought I was busting his balls about getting water on a fishing pole and did it again. I thought at first he was just blowing me off and was getting pissed. After explaining the issue with the salt water he got it. Maybe give your buddy the whole deal and explain it to him. Show him the boat rash and how the other reels don't? I just try to give the NOBS the benefit of doubt. If it keeps going after that, F him!

Reactions: Spongerider
Upvote 0

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
Sep 8, 2010
San Diego 92117
Name
B-MAN
Boat
Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Sip N' Slide (33' 2 deck w/slide) Ships & Giggles (32' double deck pontoon)
...also sounds like its about time for him to get his own set up too though. A couple loaner trips is cool, but if he's getting the bug to fish, he needs to get his own. Maybe sell him yours and replace the beat up one? He WILL start to understand then.

I agree!!

Upvote 0

kodiak2858

Jan 22, 2012
Marysville, WA
Name
Roger Aulabaugh
Boat
N/A
Hard to break a "Mooch" of mooching.... He may laugh off your request that he buy his own gear since he's getting a free ride now. Then you have to decide if the price of his company is worth setting aside "his" rod for his use, or the use of other ride-alongs. I ran a charter for 12 years and never had a problem with clients abusing gear...I had a "no booze" policy, however, and therein may lie your problem!

I also had a rule on board...a rod is either in your hand, or in the rod holder or rack...nothing set on the deck.

Upvote 0

PIO

Feb 15, 2006
gardena,ca
Name
jimmy
Boat
2100 Seaswirl Striper W/A
Ask him how he would feel if you were to treat something of his that he holds near and dear to him the same way? If he looks at you with a blank stare I would pull the plug on letting him borrow anything of yours. Period.

Upvote 0

invictus

AVD
May 26, 2006
Orange County
Name
Jason
Boat
Tiara 2000 Cuddy
I loan gear, had one buddy take one of my 30 rigs to the South Pacific for Tuna. Brought it back with roadrash and missing top shot, didn't say a thing. Actually never brought I back, I called and he said "yeah come by the house and grab it". I didn't mention it until the next year he wanted to "borrow" it again. I just said "NO".

I have had other guys use my gear, bring it back with new line and a fifth of something nice. Every time anytime they can use my gear.

Upvote 0

middleofnowhere

Gopher Killer
Sep 16, 2008
Yucca Valley, CA USA
Name
Scott
Boat
Twin Vee "MamaMia"
Fuck Him! If he can't respect your gear, then he doesn't respect you either. Cut the cord on this fucker.

Hard to break a "Mooch" of mooching.... He may laugh off your request that he buy his own gear since he's getting a free ride now. Then you have to decide if the price of his company is worth setting aside "his" rod for his use, or the use of other ride-alongs. I ran a charter for 12 years and never had a problem with clients abusing gear...I had a "no booze" policy, however, and therein may lie your problem!

I also had a rule on board...a rod is either in your hand, or in the rod holder or rack...nothing set on the deck.

All you Washi clowns should stay in your own forum, sick of you guys always chiming in about something you don't know anything about :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Reactions: Bondrvr
Upvote 0

Rodless_Jim

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
Hard to break a "Mooch" of mooching...

You can't make that generalization. I know it sounds true, but that just means it rates high on the "truthiness" scale.

When I went on my first tuna trip (an overnighter), all I had was a packet of hooks I bought at the landing. I borrowed the rest. My second trip I had added a few lures (swimbaits) and some fluorocarbon leader. I was still borrowing. Even when I went on my third trip I had no gear. It was about that time that I first signed up for an Internet fishing forum, and since I had no rods of my own... :D

By my fourth trip I had begun to buy a reel here, a rod there. Now I have a very complete arsenal, whether I am doing a Summer/Fall 8-day trip, or a Winter/Spring 16-day (I leave on the 25th!). It took me awhile, and some encouragement, but I was never reluctant to have my own gear. I always wanted my own gear! I just needed some experience to decide what I should get.

Look, as the original poster and everyone else here knows, good saltwater fishing gear is expensive. A levelwind reel for rockfishing may not cost as much as a 50-sized 2-speed reel for chasing giant tuna, but it's all relative. When a guy has always just used that $49.99 spinning combo (on sale) from Rite-Aid, a $150 reel and a $90 rod feels like a lot of money. If your newbie is anything like me...or most of the newcomers to West Coast angling that I have known...he'll be willing to spend some money. He might prefer to buy used at first, but he will buy. He (or she) just wants to make deadly sure that he doesn't spend good money on the wrong gear. The newbie has to feel very secure in their purchase.

Also, I think it is a mistake to use number of trips as a timeline in this case. Sounds like you guys are doing a fair amount of fishing, and on a regular basis. My own case is different...I never got into rockfishing. For me it was a once a year tuna trip...and in the beginning, not every year either. But it sounds like you guys are going every couple of weeks, if not more frequently.

That's cool. It means he's got the bug! But two weeks (or less?) between trips isn't all that much time for you friend to set aside money for gear. It may be all he can budget just to pay for the fishing trips themselves.

ASIDE: This is one thing that could be variable. For all I know, your newbie friend may have a great paying job and have lots of discretionary income.

My take is that you may need to share gear with him for the remainder of this season. It is at the end of the season that you can put your foot down. Let him know that it has been great fishing with him, and you hope that you will continue to be fishing buddies for years to come, but now that you're in the offseason, it's time for him to look into getting his own gear. And good news for him...the close of the season is usually when people want to sell their used gear, and when a lot of tackle stores offer sales and discounts.

And maybe he just might want to buy the setup you've been loaning him...

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
get some duct tape if you loan it to him again and if he asks what the tape is for pull off a piece and show him what he did...if the guy still doesn't get it ask him directly so what kind of rod and reel is he gonna buy for next time cause you have another friend that wants to come and borrow it.when he buys one just say the friend canceled at the last moment..he's a drunk out smart him.

Upvote 0

crazy cajun

Bait Hog
Jun 14, 2008
Carlsbad
Name
Sean
Boat
Grady White Lori Ann
If you are really worried about hurting his feelings, just buy him a cheep or used combo for his birthday. Buy him something that works and leave your loner rig at the house next time you go. Or, better yet, buy yourself a loner set up and keep the good stuff for you to use. Or, tell him how to treat your gear.

Upvote 0

albacore11

Member Intrepid 200# Club
May 19, 2006
Crowley Lake, CA
Name
Christopher
Boat
Gone but not forgotten
It doesn't matter if it is fishing gear, your lawn mower, ladder or chainsaw; you return it in the same condition as when you borrowed it, if not better. If you break something you have it repaired or you replace it. If it uses fuel, it is returned with a full tank. Pretty basic common courtesy. If you abuse the privilege you lose it.

Upvote 0

@-EZ

Fail, try again.
Apr 9, 2007
San Diego, CA.
Name
Max
Boat
Trophy Pro, @-EZ
Why would you continue to loan him gear?

I get the fact you're happy he's catching, but if he doesn't pay attention to your detail of taking care of gear....

To me, it sounds as though you have an issue with saying no.

Upvote 0

Bondrvr

GOT A CUSTOM ROD FOR MY WIFE,,,,GREAT TRADE
Feb 12, 2010
Chula Vista
Name
mike
Boat
'99 Albemarle 280XF- Bubba Jean 28; Livingston LV-14 -BABY J
NEVER,NEVER,loan out what you don't expect to be ruined. Nobody LOVES your shit more than you do. Fuck him ,all the way to the tackle shop.
I keep loaners for my boat ,but I expect them to be Destroyed .:2gunsfiring_v1:

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Back in 1992 I loaned a friend a sabre rod with a penn 500....1992 that was the last time I seen it LOL

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
I have to be hard pressed to borrow anything and if I do it is returned in better condition than when I borrowed it. Never loan a tool if the guy doesn't have tools, other wise they don't appreciate how much they cost... like that with everything. When it comes to loaning anything this is my rule.

Loaning ______ is like loaning your ol' lady... If you get it back at all, when it comes back it has been fucked.

Reactions: Bondrvr
Upvote 0