Mack's-Magic

Yo! Ima go catch a TUNA!
May 15, 2016
UTAH
Name
Dave Magruder
Boat
Inflatable ducky
So, being from Utah and wanting to get in on some of the great Yellow fin Tuna fishing this summer, I called Fisherman's and bought a ticket on the Condor for a 2.5 day open party trip that was scheduled for 8/21-8/24. Having fished the Condor once before, I was pretty stoked about it. Unfortunately, I just got a call from them to tell me that the Condor sold the whole boat out to a private charter for that weekend and now I'm dangling in the breeze. I've already purchased non-refundable flights from SLC (I used a voucher, so I can't change the flight at all). I'm feeling pretty screwed over. Why even put the open party trip on the schedule if it's available for purchase by a private charter? They really shafted me.

The landing said they could transfer my ticket to another landing/trip. He said he found a trip aboard the Legend out of H&M that matched my dates, but I've never fished with H&M or the Legend. There aren't a lot of reviews online for the boat and searching BD threads didn't give me much either.

Any recommendations about this situation? Should I just take the re-booking on the Legend and hope for the best?

This situation sucks....seems like they need to make it right with me somehow, but I don't know what to do.

Upvote 0

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    Not sure if most boats have posted a schedule yet, but there should be plenty of options during those dates available

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    I agree... try to get on the charter. It's probably gonna be a better group of people then 30 randoms anyway! Never hurts to ask. They will usually give you the Chartermaster's number.
    Call the landing, and talk to them about it,
    Because once it’s listed as a open party,
    Through the landing, they might help you out.

Upvote 0

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
    Jun 28, 2006
    El Cazonn on way to Florida
    Name
    Frank F
    Boat
    Boat-less (Sad)
    Just jump on a different boat.
    That time of year could be just wide open catching.

Reactions: CartridgeCalls
    Upvote 0

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
  • Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat
    the twisted ducker
    Email or call Scott.

Upvote 0

yellowfish26

Totally Nude 24/7
    Aug 21, 2008
    Chula Vista/Ca/USA
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    26ft Seaswirl. The Big Chorizo
    So, being from Utah and wanting to get in on some of the great Yellow fin Tuna fishing this summer, I called Fisherman's and bought a ticket on the Condor for a 2.5 day open party trip that was scheduled for 8/21-8/24. Having fished the Condor once before, I was pretty stoked about it. Unfortunately, I just got a call from them to tell me that the Condor sold the whole boat out to a private charter for that weekend and now I'm dangling in the breeze. I've already purchased non-refundable flights from SLC (I used a voucher, so I can't change the flight at all). I'm feeling pretty screwed over. Why even put the open party trip on the schedule if it's available for purchase by a private charter? They really shafted me.

The landing said they could transfer my ticket to another landing/trip. He said he found a trip aboard the Legend out of H&M that matched my dates, but I've never fished with H&M or the Legend. There aren't a lot of reviews online for the boat and searching BD threads didn't give me much either.

Any recommendations about this situation? Should I just take the re-booking on the Legend and hope for the best?

This situation sucks....seems like they need to make it right with me somehow, but I don't know what to do.
    They may have done you a favor. You are assuming alot about the Yellowfin biting at any given time. Every year is different. Just because it bit last year at that time doesn't mean it will this year (though it certainly could). The Condom is a good boat, but its not the only one (it is SD) there are quite a few others as well and the majority havn't even published a schedule and won't until much closer to the actual start of the season, whenever that is. Find another...

And what would you do if you were a boat owner. Its the beginning of February. You have a trip with at most a couple reservations and someone comes along with cash in hand to cover everything for that day. You take the charter. Every time. You should be thankful for as much notice as you got. That shit happens a week or two out from scheduled trip date sometimes. Don't get your panties all wadded up, it work work out.

Reactions: I hate seals
    Upvote 0

kzaam1

Nov 7, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Kzaam
    Boat
    Jasmine
    That sucks. I would be upset too. But that happens from time to time.

There are some interesting threads about the Legend on this site. Some good and some not so good. Seems like the captain is fishy but possibly not the most patient person or something like that.

If the Legend trip is an open party, you’ll probably have a lot of time to decide if you really want to go on that boat or not before that trip fills up. You could just ask for a refund for the time being so you don’t necessarily have your money locked up with HM.

A lot of boats are just beginning to post or finalize their schedule for the late Summer. Since it’s a weekend in late August, I would say the odds are pretty good you should be able to find another 2.5 trip going out that fits your schedule that may be posted later on. Or you could do back to back 1.5 trips on one or two different boats.

I think you have a lot of time to secure a trip that you’ll be happy with that will fit into your travel arrangements.

Upvote 0

T.Bui

I have no beliefs, I joined for the violence.
    Feb 21, 2012
    Castro Valley
    Name
    Bui
    Boat
    Warfighter
    Fished the Legend last Labor Day on a 3 day. Chuck is a fishy guy, I had no issues with the operation. Will fish again in a heartbeat.

Upvote 0

Allen Rice

Cranefish
    May 21, 2019
    West covina
    Name
    Allen Rice
    Boat
    N/A
    If you can, go on the Pacifica out of seaforth landing!! The boat, crew and captain are relentless! I've been on many other boats but this one has been most productive CONSISTENTLY!!

Upvote 0

Mack's-Magic

Yo! Ima go catch a TUNA!
    May 15, 2016
    UTAH
    Name
    Dave Magruder
    Boat
    Inflatable ducky
    Thanks for the replies all....some solid advice in here! I totally understand the decision by the Condor to book a charter. That's just good business sense. I'll live...was just feeling butt hurt yesterday when I posted.

I think I'll ask the landing to just send me a full refund and find another trip on my own. The trip I mentioned aboard Legend might be just the thing. I found their Facebook page and overall it sounds like they work hard to stay on fish, and treat passengers with respect. Can't ask for much more than that! If they are on fish, and I can't catch...that shit's on me.

And Yellowfish26....the state of my panties is my own damn business! Thanks :)

Reactions: yellowfish26
    Upvote 0
    P

Paddyman1

I would get hold of Scott. The Condor is a well-run business and fishy as ever.
    Good luck

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats

Call Constitution Sportfishing office,
    They have 2 boats that do a lot of 2 1/2 trips.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Low N Slow
    Upvote 0

writebrian

... and I'm 6'5"
    Jan 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Whoever is Hot that week
    Legend is not a terrible boat... but there are much better. If I were coming all the way from Utah I would fish in the top 5. Legend probably misses that cut.

Reactions: jer dog
    Upvote 0

Buttchaser

Fresh One!
    Jul 3, 2004
    BD Outdoors
    Name
    John
    Boat
    None
    I would look at a few “charter trips “ that are scheduled as sold out .... Maybe contact a landing of your choice and see if they can put you in contact with one of the charter masters ...
    A charter trip would be way better than an open party trip, Good luck !

Upvote 0

RockHopperNCKA

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jan 25, 2017
    Santa Rosa, CA
    www.norcalkayakanglers.com
    Name
    Dustin
    Boat
    Do kayaks count?

The Islander has a 2.5 day trip on those dates, as well.

Upvote 0

negitoro

Jun 19, 2012
    villa park, ca
    Name
    bruce
    Boat
    ISLANDER, NEW LO-AN
    I highly recommend the Islander trip. Great boat with a fabulous crew and a top notch owner captain. See other posts by me on Islander trips. You won’t be disappointed.

Upvote 0