Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Grabbed two spots on a two and a half on Outer Limits, next month 8/15-18. Me and my buddy Joe will go give it a shot. Now to go through the whole rod and reel selection and pack, repack the tackle bag. I wonder what we’ll target on this trip… Guess ya gotta cover everything from 20-200. ;)

For next year, a 3 day on Vagabond, a boat I’ve been wanting to fish for years.
It’s the Phenix trip, almost a full year from now, 7/17-20/2022. Stoked!

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
I think in view of the shorter trip, I’ll mostly lighten up on the YoYo and surface iron. Hooks and weights, about the same as the June 8 day. Planning on only 4-5 outfits.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
Now a couple of weeks away, I’ve been fooling around with the tackle trays, pulling out a few surface and YoYo irons, lighten it up a bit. Sat at the kitchen table making up some loops to bridle the jigs. Went ahead and ordered Williamson Kensaki 280 gram and Benthos 250 gram knife jigs. Make sure I have a handful of 9/0 Super Mutu hooks for that.

I took a look at the two assist hooks that come with the Kensaki jig. And I had to laugh after I hooked one one my vise handle and the other on a screwdriver. Gave it a serious pull, probably about the drag I would fish dropping it on the Bluefin. Plan on replacing these.

Saw a FacePlace report from Greg on the Aztec, giving the tackle suggestions. At the moment it’s a 30 lb outfit and some 2/0 J hooks. See if it turns around and the Bluefin start biting again.

Anyway, here’s a pic of those bendy hooks. I swear, made of aluminum!

20210802_205050.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0