bomb/jig storage

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by cap_lr, Aug 31, 2014.

1. cap_lr

cap_lr Member

Name:
    Laurens
    Boat:
    SOLD!
    Spent a little time over the last few weeks fixing up the bombs for the season, new skirts and paint, refinish, re-eye, replaced blades, etc... Got me thinking about storage.

Over the years I've tried to come up with a better onboard solution for keeping the bombs organized and easily accessible - but haven't quite hit the satisfaction mark yet. Some of the old school wahoo masters use the 5 gal jig pails...but this is just too big and space consuming for me. The last few years I've been using a 2 gal bucket - hanging the jigs from the rim (i keep all of my heavy led in the bottom of this too and keep it under the tackle rack), but this too leaves a lot to be desired. I've seareched pretty extensively through forum after forum and can't find anything that really fits the bill. Any great ideas out there? pictures extremely helpful.

I did find some pics of those Shimano vertical jig hanging bags, which would be great, but seem to be out of production. Read about the ammo case filled with PVC, but that sounds kind of ghetto...maybe a picture would help.

On of the problems with the whole jig case thing is trying to keep them from tangling with each other when they are wired up. I do plan on trying more 80-100LB straight tied fluoro this season, but will fall back on the single strand wire until I become more confident in this newer technique.

photo.JPG

Workplacesafety likes this.
  2. Workplacesafety

Workplacesafety Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses

Name:
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat:
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    Nice selection of bombs. I've been fighting the same battle for years trying to keep them straight. It seams that anyway you hang them the get screwed up quickly. I tried putting them in a regular plastic stacking box, worked ok but not easy to grab one quickly. Also any contact with salt water really affects the others quickly. I'm open to all thoughts on this, thanks for asking Laurens. Please keep us posted on your results with the flouro leaders, as I really don't trust this yet.

3. afraser

afraser I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    aaron
    Boat:
    NA
    130lb fluoro leaders are the... Bomb. Couldn't resist. No cut offs on 5 bites last trip, only got 3 but that's wahoo. Also using 300lb fluoro on marauders.

4. Sactotuna

Sactotuna Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    Royal Star
    Put each wired up jig in a separate ziplock bag. Only way I ever found to keep them untangled.

5. Chris Penning

Chris Penning Member

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Total Ho
  6. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    When it comes to storing bombs, I don't have a good answer for you. I only own a few, and I have had much more success with jigs than with bombs. I use a Plano binder for my jigs, and it's awesome:

I had a link here, and it doesn't appear. I am not sure why not. The link was to a product for sale on one of the Internet's most common and successful shopping sites...the one that began in the State of Washington.

The product is called the 1599-00 Saltwater Wrap Binder. This is how it looks when opened:

[​IMG]

I really can't recommend anything better for jigs. Frankly, I've never seen anything better.

I store the bombs that I own in a tray in my tackle bag. The wire has ceased to be a problem for me because nowadays I use 150lb fluoro instead of wire. The ones that I have that are through-wired (like the catchy Spinner Bombs) do get tangled some. I think Sactotuna's suggestion of using ziplock bags is more functional than anything else I've ever heard, and I'm going to give that a try.

If you come up with a really clever solution, please let us all know!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  7. capjimy

capjimy Member

Name:
    Jim Kokesh
    Boat:
    24 ft. farallon, Reel Sport
    Hi Laurens, well the way we sell them is to store them in plastic containers with a cap, this keeps the mylar straight and protects it from getting crushed up and mashed down also the hook protection is great. What you need after that is something like Rodless recommended, some thing to store your containers. If you like l'll send you a couple, just send me your add and l'll shoot you a couple. Just trying to help cuz l went thru the same darn thing. Jimmy

8. cap_lr

cap_lr Member

Name:
    Laurens
    Boat:
    SOLD!
    Thanks for the idea. I've tried a few lure bags over the years and not quite what I'm (we're) looking for. Great for trolling lures, but just doesn't work out for 20-30 wired up wahoo bombs on a long range deck.

Chris Penning likes this.
  9. cap_lr

cap_lr Member

Name:
    Laurens
    Boat:
    SOLD!
    Thanks Jimmy - Pm sent.

10. freegaff2

freegaff2 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Craig Simcox
    Boat:
    none
    glued a 2" wide strip of Velcro across the front of the tackle box...just slide the hook between the 2 sides of the Velcro...easy access, and no hook points to snag anybody walking by...

11. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    First of all, Laurens, that's a nice collection of Bombs! Here's what I use. Zuker tubes as I keep the feathers in a 3700 tray with hooks and swivels for fishing those. I cut a notch in the end where the cap goes, and that accommodates the hook. I drill a hole in the closed end and thread the wire through that. Coil up the wire and I'm good. The empty container came from the kitchen cupboard. We drink a lot of Crystal light, packages come in this plastic container. I will be putting a couple in these. Plastic bags are OK, to, just like we sometimes use for pre-made topshots. That's one of Jimmy's bombs in a tube on the left in the 1st pic.

For Bombs.jpg

Zuker Tube.jpg

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  12. cap_lr

cap_lr Member

Name:
    Laurens
    Boat:
    SOLD!
    Now we're cookin with gas. Thanks for the ideas Steve... I've been using a few of those Crystal Light containers for balloons and sabikis - love it.

13. backlashjack

backlashjack Scallywag

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    I don't think you got bit on the sink then. I have had them snip clean through BW130 like a hot scalpel through butter. You can tie direct to 40# and if they bite the hook you'll be just fine.

14. ironchucker

ironchucker Unknown "Member"

Name:
    charlie
    Boat:
    Float tube. Kick boat, Jon boat
    Lauren's, I have room in my tackle box to store a few of those pretty bombs for you.

15. txwoody

txwoody desperado

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    wood is good
    Tubes that Ilander lures come in would work, too.
    I use ziplocs, though.

16. crazy cajun

crazy cajun Bait Hog

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    Fish-n-Dive, YakAttack
    I use fluorescent light bulb safety sleeves to do the same as above. It keeps everything straight and tangle free. Go to Grainger.com, in the search box type in "Safety Sleeves". Once they come in, cut to the size you want. I prefer the T8 and T5 sizes. I store all my feathers, skirts, booms, and some jigs with these. For a cap\stop, use a wine cork. No tangles, crushed skirts, or chipped paint, just grab and go fish.

17. cap_lr

cap_lr Member

Name:
    Laurens
    Boat:
    SOLD!
    DONE!

Started with the guts from a Flambeau Maximizer Cube (made for muskie lures) - they sent me one for a nominal price. Trimmed it to fit nicely in a waterproof plastic ammo box. SANO!

P1010531.JPG

P1010532.JPG

P1010533.JPG

P1010534.JPG

18. Elitetv1958

Elitetv1958 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Music
    Nice selection and nice set up!

19. lowprofile

lowprofile Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    chris
    Boat:
    Sold it
    I use an open water lure tube bag. Has 8 tubes and holds 2 per tube. I use these for my irons and bombs and it works great.

20. Outhouse

Outhouse I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jon Scobey
    Boat:
    Titanic
    Jim, how does this handle treble hooks