PENN

HighWildFree

Feb 16, 2018
OC
Name
Erik
Boat
Spaghetti Madness
Once caught 18 short halibut in a single session right there. Flash Minnow looked like an old Barry Jig by days end.

Upvote 0
Sep 12, 2017
Placentia, CA
Name
Michael Rivera
Boat
N/A
I remember a couple years ago (2014 or 15 I believe) my mom took my siblings and I to the swim beach in Newport harbor... there were tiny baitfish pushed up against the surface so my brother and I went underwater with our goggles and found a school of 8-10lb yellows underneath nailing them. Also, the year following that my brother hooked a small yellow from the pier out of a school that was just past the breaking waves. On a live lizard fish.

Upvote 0

robaire

Angler
Jul 22, 2013
Menifee, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
n/a
Not the first time YT caught there.
When caught is usually when guys are trying to catch flatties with the sardines on the outgoing high tide there.

As far as the disappearing fish, just last night on 60 minutes, they were talking about the high amounts of carbon monoxide in the water and lack of seaweed to help make good clean chlorophyll?!?
It effects the shell fish and so on up the food chain.
Good episode!

Upvote 0

Mark50

Old newbie
Apr 3, 2017
San diego
Name
Mark
Boat
28' searay
And Bonito buy the bucket full.
Hey Dan....Palm Desert here....give me a call if you want to go fishing sometime...760 568-2194; Mark Back in the 70s we would catch Bonita one after another in the seal beach jetty....had a friend who caught 114 in one day....so that meant about 800 tangled lines.

Upvote 0

thomasfishing

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 3, 2006
westminster
Name
Thomas
Boat
1851 seaswirl striper WA & 2601 Striper
I was catching rats yellows a couple of years ago with live sardines at balboa pier.
1143480_98912da96908dc2f20a1b9e2d4b4cff8.JPG

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2018
Temecula, CA
Name
Farmer
Boat
Actively looking
The bubble bucket live bait thing is the standard in the south where fisherman use shrimp and mullet. I'm not sure why it hasn't caught on yet here other than most live bait comes off floating barges away from shore, not land based bait docks like down south Even more impressive is this guy hauled a friggin bucket full of deans down a jetty.

Upvote 0

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
Aug 16, 2005
Long Beach, CA
Name
Jeff Dalton
Boat
21' Parker/Stealth Stix
Homeguard yellow! :D

Upvote 0

yellowfish26

Totally Nude 24/7
Aug 21, 2008
Chula Vista/Ca/USA
Name
Jeff
Boat
26ft Seaswirl. The Big Chorizo
The bubble bucket live bait thing is the standard in the south where fisherman use shrimp and mullet. I'm not sure why it hasn't caught on yet here other than most live bait comes off floating barges away from shore, not land based bait docks like down south Even more impressive is this guy hauled a friggin bucket full of deans down a jetty.
Bubble buckets (aeraters) havnt caught on here because they dont work for shit with sardines or anchovies

Upvote 0

fishkilr

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
Bubble buckets (aeraters) havnt caught on here because they dont work for shit with sardines or anchovies
Bubbles stick to the skin and remove the slime ... you want no air bubbles in your tank...
Been yellows in and out of king harbor for decades...
Have seen all kinds of odd species in del Rey...

Reactions: Jvili
Upvote 0

DreamFish

Jun 9, 2017
Laguna Hills, CA
Name
Craig Cosbey
Boat
Friends or Float Tube
I'm 71. My God father and Dad told me that they used to catch Albies at Seal Rocks by San Clemente Pier in early 50's. They were a pest.

Upvote 0

toadstoadsonly

Just your average Jon chasing a fish of a lifetime
Jun 16, 2008
Newport Beach
Name
JONATHAN @grindmentality1
Boat
Trophy
I remember like it was yesterday the Newport Peninsula use to put out a bunch of Yellowtail and Pink Snapper. Only about 10% of the anglers would catch most of the fish. Wait that was just yesterday on Taco Tuesday, there is still plenty of Pink Snappers running around Sharkieez.

Upvote 0