babachu

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 9, 2008
Seal Beach
Name
David
Boat
None
saw one caught on a swim bait at the end of the wedge jetty a couple of years ago-not surprised

Upvote 0

TonyH54

Whiskey Tango
May 9, 2010
Fullerton, Ca
Name
Antonio Pendejo
Boat
Ask Jerry
Rats!! In the 80's and early 90's those rat size YT were thick as mackerel and just as easy to catch in the area right outside Huntington Harbor.

Upvote 0

tplass

Almost A Member
Aug 2, 2012
HB
Name
Tom
Boat
Yak
That spot always keeps you guessing... Very cool

Upvote 0

wetdreams

Almost A Member
Jun 13, 2010
CA
Name
Claude
Boat
Outrage 280
As a kid, I remember seeing people catching yellowtail of the Redondo sportfishing dock and numerous other jetties and piers. Now it's a rare occurrence. Goes to show. Hopefully our kids don't end up talking about the good ol' days when it was common to catch mackerel and lizardfish off the piers and docks.

Upvote 0

ocsleeper

May 1, 2008
Anaheim
Name
Ricky
Boat
Cobia 220 DC
So why exactly can't we catch all these cool fishes now days that you guys talk about the good ole days? What happened? Over fishing?

Upvote 0

dozzer

Catskinner
Apr 16, 2007
Az.
Name
dozzer
Boat
Grinner
Yea!! back in high school 1969 we would go to the jetty at seal beach and catch 30 lb 35 lb yellows on feather jigs pulled behind popper plugs casted on the out going tide !! Bitchen stuff back then my freind

Upvote 0

civicsurfer

Almost A Member
Oct 16, 2012
Long Beach
Name
Jo
Boat
Ranger 216 Cuddy Cabin boat, Ranger 335V bass boat, Bass Hunter Bass Baby boat
So why exactly can't we catch all these cool fishes now days that you guys talk about the good ole days? What happened? Over fishing?
I would like to know the same thing. What happened to the fishing? Why aren’t the yellows as accessible from piers and jetty’s like they were back in the 70’s and 80’s?

Upvote 0

MACMAN

salty dog
Nov 28, 2006
L M, CA
Name
KEN
Boat
CUSTOM P O S
i have got them in shallow water off the runway next to the jetty out side SD bay and got this guy last year just out side the breakers in I Back in the day they got them inside mission bay.

35lb yellowtail off IB 4 24 16.jpg

Upvote 0

tom cindric

Tom-broke-off
Jun 17, 2015
Lake elsinore
Name
all she's got
Boat
22 key largo / 2670 Glacier Bay
I remember fishing of the rocks at south Laguna in the 80s and seeing massive school of yellows just moving up the coast hugging the rocks. They were so close I could see their eye's looking up at me. The only thing I had was mussels split shot and 4lb test. The fish were all about the same size 8 to 10lbs. They had no interest my offerings. Would have broke off anyways.

Upvote 0

tap

"The Roving Angler"
BD Writer
Jun 1, 2006
Valley Center, CA
www.rovingangler.com
Name
Tony Pena
Boat
n/a
In the mid 60's I liked to fish the Mission Bay jetty (north side) for sculpin, opaleye, surf perch, etc. and would occasionally see 10-15 lb. yellows in groups of three or four slowly cruising along the inner side of the rocks just a few feet into the channel. Very frustrating as I didn't have the tackle or lures to cast and at least give'em a try.

Upvote 0