Ted snellen

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 30, 2011
Seal beach ca us
Name
Ted
Boat
Pinta
Invited my friend Stevo from Pelagic on a trip to sq and bola. He managed to round up 3 duffle bags full of wear to give to the locals. If your ever wondering why the locals in Sq and Bola are always wearing Pelagic this is probably the reason. Took the boat out with Jaime on the 20th to look for white seabass. Headed north to the island and on the way saw big schools of bait, but along with them were 5 bait boats wrapping everything in site along with whatever might happen to be feeding on them. In my opinion unless something is done pretty quickly all of the fisheries along the coast are in danger of being wiped out except for the tuna in the pens.
20170719_095030.jpg
20170719_095102.jpg

Went inside the Cove at the island and managed to pick up a nice halibut about 20lbs and another about 10.
Screenshot_2017-07-28-11-42-46.jpg

Steve dove the cove, but visibility wasn't very good, so no luck
The next day we drove to bola with Jaime, his wife emeralda and cousin Javier to fish the tournament.
Screenshot_2017-07-28-11-39-59.jpg
Screenshot_2017-07-28-11-40-29.jpg
Screenshot_2017-07-28-11-39-17.jpg
20170722_053728.jpg

Fished with Pedro from Cangejos who put us on the spots.
We got lucky and managed to place 1st on bottom fish in both the men and women , but the man of the day was Joel Jr. Who got 1st place on surface fish with a 38.5 yellowtail.He originally had customers for that day, but no shows so he went out by himself.Rules are you need to have a 25 second video of the fish coming up.He managed to stick the camera in his mouth while fighting by himself and sticking and landing it. What a stud!
Wish I had video of that. We came in later so wasn't able to get any pics.Also I didn't have any pics. of our fish as it was on Jaimes camera. Fish were grouper, 20lbs and 16. Not that big, but enough to win the tournament. Here are pics of the awards ceremony

20170722_200855.jpg
20170722_201950.jpg
20170722_201858.jpg
20170722_200508_001.jpg
20170722_202647.jpg

I encourage any one thinking about participating in it to do it as the government does a good job of putting it on, even if you don't win anything, there are still chances with the raffles.
Next one is in Ensenada in August and it finishes in San Quintin the 3rd week in Sept. Also a good way to meet some of the top government officials 20170722_202013.jpg

Willdoggy

Willing Member
Jun 25, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
IG = WetWillyBiz
Boat
Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
Looked super fun! We were fishing in BOLA that Saturday but did not enter the Tourney. Looked really well organized. Joel Jr knows where to find them. Awesome job!

jsl

Oct 8, 2005
Ontario
Name
Scott
Boat
none
Nice to meet you and congrats on the win!

Scott

Leslie. Christensen

El Chivito
May 31, 2014
Name
Leslie. Christensen
Boat
Ponga
Nice job in the tournament, For the bait boats? Seems like they've been there all year,no quotas? With high gas prices its got to be tough. Seems they are disrupting bite for whole coast, anybody talking about it, no way to stop them. I guess they'll move this winter ,go south and kill what's leftover? Sad ,bad for local economy.

Ted snellen

Dec 30, 2011
Seal beach ca us
Name
Ted
Boat
Pinta
I talked to an official for sport fishing while I was in Bola and showed him video of bait boats in San quintin. He said we have to start with a formal complaint and take it to the Fed government level. So far no one is willing to do it.I suspect the decline in white seabass in Sq over the last few years are because of the boats wrapping them up as a by product. Personally I think they are targeting them because they get top dollar for them. This is just speculation, but ive heard that boats offload the white seabass at erendira before they arrive in ensenada.so maybe the owners of the boats don't even know about them. We have personally taken people out to tag whiteseabass and they told us they have been known to travel as far as San fransisco

denis

Deadhead lures Owner
Mar 2, 2006
Colorado
Name
denis
Boat
deadhead luees
Im sure in san Quintin Juan and Kelly etc are on this It's there life.. I've seen in the past they have stopped them but it does seem worse . With all the big tuna around. It's big money ,let's hope they don't distrioy sq

Nappo1

Well-Known "Member"
May 30, 2011
La Mesa/ca
Name
Nappo
Boat
none
Invited my friend Stevo from Pelagic on a trip to sq and bola. He managed to round up 3 duffle bags full of wear to give to the locals. If your ever wondering why the locals in Sq and Bola are always wearing Pelagic this is probably the reason. Took the boat out with Jaime on the 20th to look for white seabass. Headed north to the island and on the way saw big schools of bait, but along with them were 5 bait boats wrapping everything in site along with whatever might happen to be feeding on them. In my opinion unless something is done pretty quickly all of the fisheries along the coast are in danger of being wiped out except for the tuna in the pens.View attachment 854119 View attachment 854123

Went inside the Cove at the island and managed to pick up a nice halibut about 20lbs and another about 10.View attachment 854131

Steve dove the cove, but visibility wasn't very good, so no luck
The next day we drove to bola with Jaime, his wife emeralda and cousin Javier to fish the tournament. View attachment 854139 View attachment 854140 View attachment 854141 View attachment 854142

Fished with Pedro from Cangejos who put us on the spots.
We got lucky and managed to place 1st on bottom fish in both the men and women , but the man of the day was Joel Jr. Who got 1st place on surface fish with a 38.5 yellowtail.He originally had customers for that day, but no shows so he went out by himself.Rules are you need to have a 25 second video of the fish coming up.He managed to stick the camera in his mouth while fighting by himself and sticking and landing it. What a stud!
Wish I had video of that. We came in later so wasn't able to get any pics.Also I didn't have any pics. of our fish as it was on Jaimes camera. Fish were grouper, 20lbs and 16. Not that big, but enough to win the tournament. Here are pics of the awards ceremony

View attachment 854145 View attachment 854146 View attachment 854147 View attachment 854148 View attachment 854152

I encourage any one thinking about participating in it to do it as the government does a good job of putting it on, even if you don't win anything, there are still chances with the raffles.
Next one is in Ensenada in August and it finishes in San Quintin the 3rd week in Sept. Also a good way to meet some of the top government officials View attachment 854144

Nappo1

Well-Known "Member"
May 30, 2011
La Mesa/ca
Name
Nappo
Boat
none
Im sure in san Quintin Juan and Kelly etc are on this It's there life.. I've seen in the past they have stopped them but it does seem worse . With all the big tuna around. It's big money ,let's hope they don't distrioy sq
We have an annual trip with UCSB buds each year to BOLA fishing with Joel Sr and Joel Jr. There are plenty of great skippers in BOLA but these two we find to just be awesome. Fun guys, fishy, understand us and our craziness but always work hard and put us on fish. Quite honestly, if we didn't catch a single fish we would be happy at the day's end. Great father/son combo. Just don't book them when we do! Also Joel Jr is a new dad, kind of, so nice to see him put a little extra $$ in the crib.

P6050117.JPG P6040070.JPG

denis

Deadhead lures Owner
Mar 2, 2006
Colorado
Name
denis
Boat
deadhead luees
W e also always have a great time and always catch fish in thinking of them !

denis

Deadhead lures Owner
Mar 2, 2006
Colorado
Name
denis
Boat
deadhead luees
I no everyday I am there I will wake up go fishing the beer will be cold get on a boat with friends fish all day come back to the hotel barbecue supper with Juan and friend s go bed and say a prayer thanking the lord I was able to do this