baja si

May 1, 2006
westminster ca
Name
tim
Boat
shogun
Hi, would appreciate any help on this.

Last time at BOLA, some guys we met were staying at Los Vientos and talked fishing at the beach bar. 3rd day they focused on Cabrilla and Grouper after crushing the YT for 2 days and were having great success on X-rap 14 long cast. I'm getting ready to buy some but it looks like the long cast model has a "shallow" with no lip that runs 1-2' deep and a long cast model with a small lip that runs 4-5' deep.

Any advice on which of these models would work best for cabrilla? any favorite colors?

Thanks, heard it is pretty good down there right now

Jason710
Jason710
Im leaving tomorrow and gonna fish 4 days. My stick bait box consists of. Luckycraft 190s. Daiwa SP minnows and bullets. I got a couple Yozuri stickbaits to try out this trip too.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Hi, would appreciate any help on this.

Last time at BOLA, some guys we met were staying at Los Vientos and talked fishing at the beach bar. 3rd day they focused on Cabrilla and Grouper after crushing the YT for 2 days and were having great success on X-rap 14 long cast. I'm getting ready to buy some but it looks like the long cast model has a "shallow" with no lip that runs 1-2' deep and a long cast model with a small lip that runs 4-5' deep.

Any advice on which of these models would work best for cabrilla? any favorite colors?

Thanks, heard it is pretty good down there right now
Shimano has a Mac pattern colt sniper ,
That I will be stocking up on-before
I go, that one of my friends
Recommended.

Upvote 0

Jason710

Dec 22, 2017
Imperial Valley
Name
Jason W
Boat
Nada
If the cabrilla are biting they will bite anything that swims by there hole. My advise is swap out all the split rings and hooks. Owner hyperwire rings. And owner st66s for hooks. And fish heavy leader. I’m going down to fish 3 days and won’t fish anything less then 50 fluoro for them.

Reactions: jer dog
Upvote 0

baja si

May 1, 2006
westminster ca
Name
tim
Boat
shogun
Yep that has been my experience when fishing macs tight into their holes - they come charging out and engulf the mac and turn quick.....even on 60 lb with a tight drag I've had 10 lb fish take a bit of line and fight for their lives!

Upvote 0

af dreamer

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
If you take any surface lures take a couple Wopper Floppers.Made in diff sizes and colors.Dont laugh when you see them.Killer lure that takes no talent to use.Tom

Upvote 0

Ib1

Getting Saltier..
May 28, 2009
IB
Name
Matt
Boat
'Slayride' Invader 183 / Hobie Quest
The contour of the coast drops off fast, a bait that dives might get a few more bites as you reel it back from a cast up into the rocks. Sebile Stikk baits, daiwai sp minnow, smaller irons kill it too. Good advice on the ring/hook upgrades. Will be fishing there 6/24-26. Good luck!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

denis

Deadhead lures Owner
Mar 2, 2006
Colorado
Name
denis
Boat
deadhead luees
You will get rocked more with bait. Casting and having contact with a jig is higher success the line is tight no slack

Upvote 0

TsTime

May 9, 2006
IB
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Alblemarle SF Ex
Rapala Floating Magnum 7" fire tiger and silver mackeral gets it done, 9-11 ft running, have a variety box of baits I'll try this week

Upvote 0

pascuale

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Ethan
    Boat
    3rd world country panga fleet
    Use 65 braid with short leader 60-80lb flouro to minimize stretch. Want to get their heads turned away from the rocks.

I like the Prohunter Beitos with a lip. But the non lip work great too.
    You can get on Cudakilla.com

Upvote 0

grahams98

• Jun 25, 2008
    Dexter, OR
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18 FT Ranger Chief 380
    I really liked the SP Minnows for that fishery. Cabrilla are ambush killers and will gladly kill those if presented right. The pause during retrieve was key as I recall and I really enjoy catching them on my 20-40 heavy swimbait rod with a Lexa 400 as I was able to throw my lures tight to boiler rocks, caves and fishy looking spots.

Reactions: denis and baja si
    Upvote 0