BOLA / Baja.. The Good and the VERY BAD!

Bottom Line

Village idiot
Jul 9, 2006
Warner Springs
Name
Steve
Boat
Invader CC - Bottom Line
Get a good dash camera - they tend to avoid the shakedown if you have video.

Reactions: Enfuego

Willdoggy

Willing Member
Jun 25, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
IG = WetWillyBiz
Boat
Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
You're absolutely right Will. It kills me to pay.. if no one paid EVER they would stop eventually. But they made it very difficult not to. And there weren't any words that were going to help me avoid the TJ pullout and patdown..
Great seeing you dow down there. The smoked YT was delicious! Gracias !
You know what they say about three times is a charm Chris!! You’re probably due some smooth sailing for the next few trips. Carry no more than $20 in your wallets and hide the rest somewhere deep under stuff that won’t be found. I can’t believe they got you again.
It was nice spending time with you guys. Good group of guys not deserving of that shake down. Glad you liked the smoked fish or “Smokey Treats” as my daughter likes to call them. Phillip and I had a smooth drive to border and then a seven hour wait where we did father son stuff like peeing in bottles till we got across. My record wait so far! We should have left a day later. That kid will listen to me next time.

BAJA FISCHER

Apr 27, 2007
Encinitas
Name
Cap'n Dan
Boat
KeyWest 2300 Bluewater "Cap'n Atun II"
[QUOTE="Avery Gilleland, post: 4903597, member
If you can't grow a pair, then keep paying and quit bitching. You paying, perpetuates the problem for everyone. .[/QUOTE]

Wow! You do have some good advice. And I'd never argue that I handled each episode flawlessly.. I've also acknowledged that paying them is the problem. Absolutely agree there.
I NEVER ONCE gave into their demands for huge fines. Tried to go to the station, etc. Spent lots of time arguing, negotiating, requesting to go to the station in Tecate.

No intention to "bitch" either, just offering a detailed narrative of our experience that might help another headed down.

But it's real easy to be the arm chair-Baja travel expert when you weren't there, with the BIG pair to teach class on the law enforcement officers in a foreign country.

I too hope my pair grows soon..

yakmandan

Well-Known "Member"
May 30, 2007
AZ.
Name
DAN
Boat
19ft Bayrunner Baja
I gave the mordita in the past but now i don't anymore I hold my ground and I insist they take me to see the judge only once have they taken me to see the judge. On the road the cop was insisting I give him 2000 pesos. He tried to tell me the judge was not in on Sunday. I knew that was BS. Finely he said I'll have to write you a ticket first. Tried to convince me that having a ticket on my record in Mexico was really really bad. When we went to see the judge the ticket cost me $15us. Don't let them tell you that the judge is not in or it's after hours. Once I got pulled over by the state police south of Guerrero Negro for speeding witch I was. The cop was all business told me what I needed to do to pay the ticket. First I had to take the ticket to state police headquarters witch was in San Quintin to get a form to take to the bank to pay it then take that back to a state police office all this had to be done within 30 days or the price would go up nearly double. On our way back north I stopped in San Quintin got the form but the banks were closed for a holiday and we couldn't wait. I had to be back to work on Monday. I have a friend that lives in LA Bocana Baja Sur who I emailed a copy of the form and she took it to the bank and paid it then took it to the State Police office I deposited the money in her US bank account. Thank you again Blanca

Leslie. Christensen

El Chivito
May 31, 2014
Name
Leslie. Christensen
Boat
Ponga
I'll listen to anyone one with a rig like yours, takes a lot of nerve and skill just to drive it down. Thanks for info, I've been a little lazy lately, girlfriend has a way of losing stuff$ ?
On are little SUV trip I definitely will put valuables, and extra cash in that spot, there to lazy to unload me , actually better now than old days, Hawaii Shirt gays at Road blocks, take you to one side be teal nice, while there partner would find a couple kilo s under your seat. That's the only time we paid, negotiating, from the truck! Too couple hundred

Reactions: BAJA FISCHER

plj46

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
jim
Boat
24 ft grady white
Always have a camera ready. If you haven't done anything wrong, then don't let them take control. Start taking pictures as soon as they come to the window. They wont like that. Don't get out of the car, and don't pay them any money. Tell them, lets go to the station. They wont like that either. Tell them give me a ticket now, or go to the station. They know they are doing something illegal, so they wont take you to the station. If you pay once, they may call ahead to the next cop so he can stop you again for more money, illegally. They wont take your car or your boat. If you can't grow a pair, then keep paying and quit bitching. You paying, perpetuates the problem for everyone. If you encounter problems, please send the pictures and an explanation to the mexican tourism board. Getting fired is their greatest fear. I hope this helps everyone. The survival of Baja relies on the almighty buck. The mexican goverment does realize this and they don't want these things to happen either. They have fired whole groups of police in the past to rid the system of the corruption.
Good luck with that.I could see some of your suggestions going terribly wrong in a country that presumes guilt before innocence.I guess i have no balls either because i paid some crook off for something i didn't do just so i could get home to my family.Remember us gringos have zero rights down there.

scoop

100 Ton Captain
May 24, 2006
San Diego
Name
Copper
Boat
Mako 184cc
It really sucks for me to tell you this after what you went through. I completely understand where you are coming from. However, you simply cannot pay them. Mexico is in transition with the new federal leadership party. The current cops may or may not have a job in the near future so this is creating an upswing in these situations. The new administration has made it illegal for anyone to pay an illegal mordida. Yes...you can now go to jail for paying a mordida. The new AMLO admin is really making firm changes and they are encouraging the public to speak out when these events occur. The police accepting mordidas as well as the victim paying them are now committing illegal acts in Mexico. The cops will always attempt to collect illegal money as long as we continue to pay them. I understand it is an inconvenience...but we have to be less afraid and not enable this illegal behavior by paying them in order to save time and convenience.
I completely sympathize with your 3 "robberies" as I have been traveling Mexico for 40+ years. It completely sucks. I refuse to pay illegal mordidas at all costs and 99.9% of the time they simply let me go. Yes, I sometimes have to pretend to drive to the police station and waste a little extra time. I allot extra time and refer to it as "the cost of doing business" in Mexico. Everyone complains about all the permit/license costs and issues when traveling south. However, as we all know...this is why we still go....
So we can enjoy the less traveled pristine natural resources and wonderful people that live there. Oh yeah...and insane food.
I understand if this discourages you from making trips south. You have good reason. However, as we all say...it just makes it better the diminishing numbers that do.
Next time you plan a trip shoot me an email and we can caravan together. Its going to take alot more than that to keep me from traveling to Baja every opportunity I get.

BAJA FISCHER

Apr 27, 2007
Encinitas
Name
Cap'n Dan
Boat
It really sucks for me to tell you this after what you went through. I completely understand where you are coming from. However, you simply cannot pay them. Mexico is in transition with the new federal leadership party. The current cops may or may not have a job in the near future so this is creating an upswing in these situations. The new administration has made it illegal for anyone to pay an illegal mordida. Yes...you can now go to jail for paying a mordida. The new AMLO admin is really making firm changes and they are encouraging the public to speak out when these events occur. The police accepting mordidas as well as the victim paying them are now committing illegal acts in Mexico. The cops will always attempt to collect illegal money as long as we continue to pay them. I understand it is an inconvenience...but we have to be less afraid and not enable this illegal behavior by paying them in order to save time and convenience.
I completely sympathize with your 3 "robberies" as I have been traveling Mexico for 40+ years. It completely sucks. I refuse to pay illegal mordidas at all costs and 99.9% of the time they simply let me go. Yes, I sometimes have to pretend to drive to the police station and waste a little extra time. I allot extra time and refer to it as "the cost of doing business" in Mexico. Everyone complains about all the permit/license costs and issues when traveling south. However, as we all know...this is why we still go....
So we can enjoy the less traveled pristine natural resources and wonderful people that live there. Oh yeah...and insane food.
I understand if this discourages you from making trips south. You have good reason. However, as we all say...it just makes it better the diminishing numbers that do.
Next time you plan a trip shoot me an email and we can caravan together. Its going to take alot more than that to keep me from traveling to Baja every opportunity I get.
You're absolutely right. In hindsight may have done things differently in Santo Tomas..

The TJ deal wasn't about mordida..just pulled out and violated. It was the WORST stop and no ticket or request for police station.

I've heard others say insist on station and after a few miles they take off.. that may be true, but each time I had to hand them my driver's license and truck registration when first approached. I had to follow the Tecate cop while he kept this.

So you may have to be OK with losing both if you go that route. They're both replaceable, but I wouldn't feel too good at the next pullover without a driver's licence.

And those who say I'd demand it back first... so easy to say. Not happening..

You're assessment is correct too, it's a huge "inconvenience " and if it was one stop I get it. There's no one here that would travel an hour back to Ensenada and go through all that THREE times. It would take 2 days to get to BOLA.

But I do totally agree with your whole assessment of the situation. And I won't deny it was simply "easier " in Santo Tomas.

If any of you have prepped a big rig for these trips, you know what's involved. 3 weeks of prep for 4 days of fishing, time away from family, work, etc.

I appreciate your feedback.

caballo del mar

Well-Known "Member"
May 4, 2004
San Diego,CA
Name
Doug
Boat
32' Amato cabin
Wasn’t there something called Sindicatura that you call and report these guys. Some guys including me used to have stickers on our vehicles that would scare away the cops. This was a long time ago. Has anyone heard of this? I remember one time I got pulled over in TJ and my dad showed the cop a Distinguished Visitors Card he was issued when he worked for the County of San Diego. It was issued by the Mayor of Tijuana. The cop looked at it and hauled ass. That was classic.

Reactions: momaguro

Captain Juan SQ

ARLETT DEL MAR.
May 14, 2008
San Quintin BCN mex.
Name
Captain Juan SQ.
Boat
parker 23/20.slaptail.
Mexican cops are not good for my bessinnes,not good cap'n d
an,wish I could make it better for you my friend.
youre cabrilla fishing was insane,very nice.

BAJA FISCHER

Apr 27, 2007
Encinitas
Name
Cap'n Dan
Boat
Mexican cops are not good for my bessinnes,not good cap'n d
an,wish I could make it better for you my friend.
youre cabrilla fishing was insane,very nice.
Thanks Amigo! The cops definitely no bueno, but I'm hoping this thread IS good for your business. Anyone towing down solo might think twice, and just load the truck and head on down to fish with you or any of the other great skippers south of the border. They have very little to worry about I think.

I know we'll be fishing with you 4 times a year now instead of 2 . It's just easier, not to mention your chignon extraordinaire...el Juan.

Half way tempted to get back down (WITHOUT BOAT ) and have you put us on some SQ WSB soon :jig::cheers:

yakdout

Professional
Jun 26, 2014
San Diego
Name
Brandon
Boat
s and hoes
Always have a camera ready. If you haven't done anything wrong, then don't let them take control. Start taking pictures as soon as they come to the window. They wont like that. Don't get out of the car, and don't pay them any money. Tell them, lets go to the station. They wont like that either. Tell them give me a ticket now, or go to the station. They know they are doing something illegal, so they wont take you to the station. If you pay once, they may call ahead to the next cop so he can stop you again for more money, illegally. They wont take your car or your boat. If you can't grow a pair, then keep paying and quit bitching. You paying, perpetuates the problem for everyone. If you encounter problems, please send the pictures and an explanation to the mexican tourism board. Getting fired is their greatest fear. I hope this helps everyone. The survival of Baja relies on the almighty buck. The mexican goverment does realize this and they don't want these things to happen either. They have fired whole groups of police in the past to rid the system of the corruption.
Best post in this thread.

Captain Juan SQ

ARLETT DEL MAR.
May 14, 2008
San Quintin BCN mex.
Name
Captain Juan SQ.
Boat
parker 23/20.slaptail.
Thanks Amigo! The cops definitely no bueno, but I'm hoping this thread IS good for your business. Anyone towing down solo might think twice, and just load the truck and head on down to fish with you or any of the other great skippers south of the border. They have very little to worry about I think.

I know we'll be fishing with you 4 times a year now instead of 2 . It's just easier, not to mention your chignon extraordinaire...el Juan.

Half way tempted to get back down (WITHOUT BOAT ) and have you put us on some SQ WSB soon :jig::cheers:[/
thanck you cap'n dan,very bummd out about this nasty cops in the citys,even worse wen it happens to such fine foulcks are you all are,wishing for better times and putting you and youres on some fine whiteseabass like this one here,fishonn my friend.
cought yesterday 7/27/19,by my friend mr bob francy
IMG_8830.JPG

Apr 8, 2012
Cal.USA /loreto bcs./lopez mataos b.c.s.
Name
avery gilleland
Boat
tuna can
To of us that head down south of the border , we are brave and fun loving , don't let these bad cops win ! unfortunately I have witnessed many other people besides fisherman get stopped and harassed. Tecete is the worst but I never had the chance for a picture of the spinless bastards that call themselves cops. Every body had great posts .

smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
Apr 27, 2011
Chula Vista, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
won't b mine
Like Avery above, very good info- pros and cons- about this bs we have to endure from time to time. I used some backbone on two bs stops I had, backbone from having read threads like this before hand. Was respectful- of course because I was alone- but held my ground. These experiences shared DO help, and, once again, I am grateful you took the time to post. Thanks, Bro.

baaadlybent

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 5, 2006
Fullerton/Bahia de los Angeles
Name
Doug
Boat
26' Striper "Baaadly Bent", 21' Bayrunner Baja "Vamonos", 15' Gregor "Little Vamonos"
Smokinwater - that's the key. Respect. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Mexico is the land of machismo. A white American with money gets in a Mexican cops face and starts acting superior and calling him out? I don't think so. Especially now with our freaking president talking shit about brown Mexican people on a daily basis. You think Mexicans don't know what he and the maga crowd think of them, or their brother or cousin in the USA? It's called revenge. Get the rich gringo's money. Now more than ever. Just be respectful, don't speed, don't run red lights and stop signs, and be aware. And I'd keep the camera in my pocket. Like it was said before, we are in their country. Try pulling a camera on a US cop the next time you get pulled over and see how it goes for you. Do that to a Mexican cop? Maybe in the middle of nowhere or some crappy little village? Go for it, amigo.