BOLA 9/18-9/21

Lourdes

Jul 17, 2015
San Diego
Name
Lourdes
Boat
Killer Joe
Can't denied I am fascinated by this little town and it's people , myself, my family and a big group of friends went down for the weekend, fished two days , caught limits of yellow tail, couple of groupers , play a lot and of course we all had an amazing time, we fished with Joel Jr , Joel Sr and two of Joel's captains , everyone on our group can't wait to return and spend more time at this beautiful place.

20200919_122303~2.jpg

IMG-20200922-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20200921-WA0004~2.jpg

IMG-20200922-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20200922-WA0010.jpg

Beer Goggles

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 9, 2007
Trabuco Canyon CA
Name
O
Boat
The Snapper Slapper
Very happy to see a bola report. Looks like a great trip. Any issues making bait? I am looking to head back down Oct 7th thru 10th.

Reactions: denis

Lourdes

Jul 17, 2015
San Diego
Name
Lourdes
Boat
Killer Joe
Very happy to see a bola report. Looks like a great trip. Any issues making bait? I am looking to head back down Oct 7th thru 10th.
Bait was easy for us on Saturday, filled up fast, Sunday there was bait but it was being chased away by school of "Toros" so captains had to be moving constantly, once we found the spot, everyone was filling up the sabikis and tank was filled fast.

Beer Goggles

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 9, 2007
Trabuco Canyon CA
Name
O
Boat
The Snapper Slapper
Thanks for the quick response. The Jack Crevelle also ran the bait out a few weeks ago. Those F'ers were having a field day with the macs. People were making some cabalitto's but we just fished the iron. Rockadile John was lucky enough to load up in Don Juan cove but the rest of us struggled!

Reactions: Lourdes

Lourdes

Jul 17, 2015
San Diego
Name
Lourdes
Boat
Killer Joe
Thanks for the quick response. The Jack Crevelle also ran the bait out a few weeks ago. Those F'ers were having a field day with the macs. People were making some cabalitto's but we just fished the iron. Rockadile John was lucky enough to load up in Don Juan cove but the rest of us struggled!
Once we found the spot all 3 or our pangas got enough bait (mackerel) , didn't need to use jigs this time 😀

bajadog

Running around knees bent
May 13, 2005
San Diego
Name
Name
Boat
Yours
Fantastic! No hassles crossing back through border? I heard 4-6 hours wait times.

bajadog

Running around knees bent
May 13, 2005
San Diego
Name
Name
Boat
Yours
Thanks, I have Sentri too, I heard it was closed. Rumor control....:D

Lost Roadie

Adventure Without Risk Is Disneyland
Jun 12, 2020
Kernville, CA
Name
Finn
Boat
14' Gregor
Long time lurker here and figured this was a good thread to ask for help.
I'm driving down to BOLA next week with no intention of returning anytime soon, probably in 2021. I'll be towing my 14' Gregor and beach camping, hopefully out by La Gringa where I can social distance before moving closer to Mulege in a month or two.
A lifetime of freshwater fishing all over US, Canada and some SE Asian countries, but not much saltwater fishing experience from a boat. Been traveling Baja for years, but this is the first time bringing my tin can where the primary focus will be fishing.
I think I'm prepared enough on a tight budget with gear, lures and such thanks to BD's, but the main thing I don't know is what to bring to catch bait.

Can anyone help school a n00b please? Or share some links?

If you see a small Gregor with a grey Bimini and a dog at the bow, that's me, come say hi. :-)

Thanks!

-Finn

Last edited:
Reactions: repo805

Lourdes

Jul 17, 2015
San Diego
Name
Lourdes
Boat
Killer Joe
Long time lurker here and figured this was a good thread to ask for help.
I'm driving down to BOLA next week with no intention of returning anytime soon, probably in 2021. I'll be towing my 14' Gregor and beach camping, hopefully out by La Gringa where I can social distance before moving closer to Mulege in a month or two.
A lifetime of freshwater fishing all over US, Canada and some SE Asian countries, but not much saltwater fishing experience from a boat. Been traveling Baja for years, but this is the first time bringing my tin can where the primary focus will be fishing.
I think I'm prepared enough on a tight budget with gear, lures and such thanks to BD's, but the main thing I don't know is what to bring to catch bait, or even what to look for. I have a minnow trap, but believe I can't legally use it in Mexico.

Can anyone help school a n00b please? Or share some links?

If you see a small Gregor with a grey Bimini and a dog at the bow, that's me, come say hi. :-)

Thanks!

-Finn
Finn, we use #4 sabikis with a10oz weight to catch bait, you are mostly looking for mackerel or sardines . Hope that helps

Reactions: Lost Roadie

Ib1

Getting Saltier..
May 28, 2009
IB
Name
Matt
Boat
'Slayride' Invader 183 / Hobie Quest
Yep, get yourself a supply of sabiki rigs, they tangle pretty easy and in a hot bait bite, you may lose a few of the hooks on a rig. You can usually use one a few times if you carefully repack in a ziplock.

Lost Roadie

Jun 12, 2020
Kernville, CA
Name
Finn
Boat
14' Gregor
Thanks for the replies fellows, some Sabiki rigs ordered!

Lost Roadie

Jun 12, 2020
Kernville, CA
Name
Finn
Boat
14' Gregor
Please excuse my ignorance, you have to learn sometime... If it wasn't for the pandemic I would go out in a panga at least once to learn from the local experts, but I'm not getting that close to anyone right now.

So I have a variety of #4 Sabaki rigs with 25# line and some weights coming from Cabellas.
Since heavy weights were mentioned I'm assuming that I'm looking for bait fish somewhat deep on my Garmin and dropping the rigs down.
Do I have this right, or can anyone shed some light on what I should be doing?
Any insight to starting locations or depths to look for would be much appreciated.

I will be sure to post up fishing reports from a BOLA fishing noob in little old (reliable) boat with mostly inappropriate gear.
We'll see how my surf casting, muskie and great lakes trout gear holds up. haha. Should be a hoot either way.

The photos from Lourdes are quite inspiring, I can't wait to get out of the smoke and enjoy BOLA!

-Finn

rdrrm8e

Fucking Stan
Nov 19, 2003
Anaheim
bdoutdoors.com
Name
chuck
Boat
No
Bring a can of cheap cat food ( 1 for each day) with you. Punch a bunch of holes in it and hang it over the side on a heavy cord. If you hang it....they will come

Reactions: Lost Roadie