BOLA 7-17-16 to 7-20-16

Discussion in 'Mexico Fishing Reports' started by Willdoggy, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Willdoggy

Willdoggy Willing Member

Name:
    IG = WetWillyBiz
    Boat:
    Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
    Traveled down with another couple on Saturday. Fished Sunday to Wednesday. Drove back yesterday. Wind was blowing pretty good the first two days and we were really limited on speed due to our hull geometry. There is a reason pangas are shaped like that! :(
    Water was 79 to 81 degrees throughout the week.

Several sailfish sighted, hardly any porpoise around and no Dodos or Whale Sharks really there yet. We did see one baby 7' whale shark at Animas on day 1.

Day 1 Made great bait near the light house. Traveled out to Animas and struggled back in with nothing to show for but a couple spotties that we released.

Day 2 Chica Dulce was not feeling well and it was still blowing. We slept in and launched around 10:30. Decided to just troll in close to shore and were rewarded with a double hook up to two Jack Crevalle. Chica Dulce did everything right but lost hers boat side. I was able to bring my 30#er aboard. Bait was a Purple Magnum 30 Rapala in 35' of water just South of Gecko. I hooked another JC a moment later but it was much bigger and snapped my 40# line like it was cotton sewing thread. >:( No chance. These guys fight 2X as hard as a Yellow Tail with multiple runs. There is a good reason they are called Toro in EspaƱol. They are Bulls!

Day 3 unsuccessful at bait making. Traveled to 7 Mile reef with Iron. Too choppy with way too much current. Dropped South and caught a couple Bonita for strip bait. Could not make it happen again at 7 Mile reef.

Day 4. Made too much bait perfect 8"+ macs at Don Juan Cove. Went back to Animas on much flatter conditions, 34 mph. Could not find them so we wound up and traveled 31 miles from Animas to 7 Mile as the tide was changing. Found the magic spot and put a 25-30# yellow on for every bait dropped. 12-16 oz torpedos on 6' dropper. Ringed Owner 4/0 circles. 40 and 60# rigs used. 60# is probably right rig with the 300' depth+ current + feisty fish + seals waiting for a free meal. It was a work out for about 7 fish hooked with 4 landed. :lux:
    Overall a great trip! Made new friends and saw all my old ones too. Chica Dulce is still reliving her Jack Crevalle! She is the greatest keeper of all!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. Unassailable

Unassailable Professional Amateur

Name:
    John B
    Boat:
    BW
    You know Will, if your wife posted, she'd get a lot more hits :p. Nice job out there. I'm envious.

Willdoggy likes this.
  3. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    Nice jellows buddy.

Willdoggy likes this.
  4. Willdoggy

Willdoggy Willing Member

Name:
    IG = WetWillyBiz
    Boat:
    Thanks very much for the compliment. Find her on Instagram edna.steele
    She posts stuff there and gets like 1400 likes for a Ling Cod in a couple of days! :D

5. Willdoggy

Willdoggy Willing Member

Name:
    IG = WetWillyBiz
    Boat:
    Not a 500 pound sword but hey I'm human! Thanks Ali!

6. richpride

richpride Newbie

Name:
    richard
    Boat:
    19 mariah miller time
    Gotta fish 80# in Bola. Nice report.