BOLA 6-22 TO 6-29

yakluv

Aug 26, 2009
Long Beach
Name
L
Boat
Malibu Extreme
Got an early start on Saturday 6-22 with my brother and his wife in their truck. Met up at the border with our long time family friend and fellow Baja traveler and jumped in his truck for the trip south.

The road was good, waited for @45 minutes at the road construction site in Santo Tomas, then stopped in San Quintin for fish tacos at our favorite spot. Fueled up then headed south and stopped at the hotel in Catavina for a quick restroom break. The road to the turnoff was smooth with a lot of new blacktop in certain areas. Overall good road conditions with very few deep potholes.

Hit the turnoff and stopped for a quick celebratory beer (annual tradition) then made it to our trailer and set up camp. Total drive time from the Long Beach area was approximately 13 hours (not bad with all the stops and driving easy).

Sunday morning we checked in with Sammy Diaz and arranged pangas for Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, then relaxed around the camp and did some shore and kayak fishing for the normal spotted bay bass and trigger fish.

Monday morning we made very little bait then headed north to the Remedios area with our guide Manuel. Most pangas had been going to the south end of La Guardia and loading up on 20-30 pound yellows, but Manuel said that the yellows had popped up north of the bay. Got to the area (a little windy and bumpy through some of the bays) and it was flat calm. We immediately hooked up on 20-30 pound yellows with sinker rigs/live bait and the normal heavy jigs. The strength and toughness of the yellows down there never cease to amaze me and you have to pull hard to keep them out of the rocks.

We lost a few to the rocks and released several fish because we don't have a freezer at our modest little camp (hate to waste fish). We kept a few for ceviche and the smoker, and gave the rest to Manuel and a few of the guys that hang out at the fish cleaning table.

Tuesday was a relaxing day with more shore and kayak fishing and a few cold ones. Tuesday night we had a feast of smoked yellowtail, yellowtail ceviche, and yellowtail fish tacos.

Wednesday we fished with by brother's favorite guide Andreas (aka Payaso). Payaso knows the area well and is a great fisherman. After making a small amount of bait, we headed to the island to target leopard grouper. Fished along the rocks trolling Yo-zuris. We started near the middle of the island and trolled north. Managed several decent fish and we released many smaller ones. We also stopped on several spots and caught some small groupers by yo-yoing small jigs in shallow water.

After a few hours, we moved a bit outside to a deeper hole to look for black seabass. Didn't take long for Payaso to hook up on a decent fish. He managed to bring up the fish and it wound up being a 30lb-plus yellow. Like always, Payaso caught the biggest fish of the day.

After a few more drifts for a couple lost fish, we headed back west towards the bay and we stopped at a spot just south of Horsehead Island. Dropped the heavy jigs and managed one 30 pounder and a couple of 20 pounders. Called it a day and headed in to clean the fish.

Forgot to mention that we stopped on some breaking fish just south of Horsehead Island on the way out. They wound up being some smaller yellows (perfect for the smoker so we kept 3-4). The weather was a little bumpy on the way there, but nice and flat once we arrived at the island. The weather laid down for the trip back which was nice.

Thursday we did our annual La Gringa day. Hauled the kayaks over there and caught our normal amount of spotted bay bass and triggerfish. My buddy also got a couple of barracuda while we were trolling.

Friday we fished with Payaso again and we decided to go north. My brother wanted to catch white seabass and in the past, we got them in the Remedios area. The word was the yellows were still in the area, and we got a lot of fish there on Monday so we decided it was a good plan.

Managed a good amount of bait and made the trip north. The weather was a little better on the trip north (not as much wind as Monday) so we got there a little faster. In fact for an hour or so, we were the only boat there. I was starting to think we mad a mistake, but soon after, 7-8 pangas arrived. Didn't take long before we started hooking quality yellow on bait and jigs.

After a short while, Payaso asked if he could use my 100lb setup (Makaira 20 and PCH 80-130lb rod). I tied on some 100lb fluorocarbon to the 100lb spectra and set up a 12 ounce sinker rig. After a couple of drifts, Payaso hooks into something big. Payaso managed to keep the fish out of the rocks and began to slowly reel up the fish in low gear. After. several minutes, the fish surfaces and it's a huge white seabass. I quickly gaff the fish and get it into the boat. The fish was perfectly hooked in the corner of the mouth, but when I grabbed the hook to remove it, the hook basically fell out. One more little head shake and the hook would have came loose. The fishing gods were definitely on our sides on this one.

We managed to fill the fish cooler with enough meat to take home the next day so we called it an early day. Besides, the seabass could not fit in the cooler so the door was open and the ice was melting so we wanted to get in and clean the fish.

We put the seabass on the old rusty scale at the fish cleaning station and it read 57 pounds so we called it an even 60 pounds (by next year it will be at least a 70 pounder, lol).

Bait was made right in front of the boat ramp and near the lighthouse. Decent amount of Macks in the water and if you took extra time, you could probably fill the bait tank. We didn't fish to deep so we only needed 10oz and 12oz sinkers to get down to the bottom for the bait fishing.

Jigs were normal Salas 6x jr in blue/white and scrambled egg, also big Krockadiles worked.

Trolled jigs for the leopard grouper were Yo-zuri Crystal 3D divers in chartreuse silver and the purple tiger pattern, which worked best.

Overall a great trip with no problems or drama. Only got stopped at one of the military checkpoints and the soldiers were friendly like always. The fishing seems to be getting better so hope you guys can get down there soon.

Safe travels and have fun. Hopefully my picture will upload (I'm old and challenged when it comes to technology).
IMG_2668.JPG

Allen Rice

Cranefish
May 21, 2019
West covina
Name
Allen Rice
Boat
N/A
Got an early start on Saturday 6-22 with my brother and his wife in their truck. Met up at the border with our long time family friend and fellow Baja traveler and jumped in his truck for the trip south.

The road was good, waited for @45 minutes at the road construction site in Santo Tomas, then stopped in San Quintin for fish tacos at our favorite spot. Fueled up then headed south and stopped at the hotel in Catavina for a quick restroom break. The road to the turnoff was smooth with a lot of new blacktop in certain areas. Overall good road conditions with very few deep potholes.

Hit the turnoff and stopped for a quick celebratory beer (annual tradition) then made it to our trailer and set up camp. Total drive time from the Long Beach area was approximately 13 hours (not bad with all the stops and driving easy).

Sunday morning we checked in with Sammy Diaz and arranged pangas for Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, then relaxed around the camp and did some shore and kayak fishing for the normal spotted bay bass and trigger fish.

Monday morning we made very little bait then headed north to the Remedios area with our guide Manuel. Most pangas had been going to the south end of La Guardia and loading up on 20-30 pound yellows, but Manuel said that the yellows had popped up north of the bay. Got to the area (a little windy and bumpy through some of the bays) and it was flat calm. We immediately hooked up on 20-30 pound yellows with sinker rigs/live bait and the normal heavy jigs. The strength and toughness of the yellows down there never cease to amaze me and you have to pull hard to keep them out of the rocks.

We lost a few to the rocks and released several fish because we don't have a freezer at our modest little camp (hate to waste fish). We kept a few for ceviche and the smoker, and gave the rest to Manuel and a few of the guys that hang out at the fish cleaning table.

Tuesday was a relaxing day with more shore and kayak fishing and a few cold ones. Tuesday night we had a feast of smoked yellowtail, yellowtail ceviche, and yellowtail fish tacos.

Wednesday we fished with by brother's favorite guide Andreas (aka Payaso). Payaso knows the area well and is a great fisherman. After making a small amount of bait, we headed to the island to target leopard grouper. Fished along the rocks trolling Yo-zuris. We started near the middle of the island and trolled north. Managed several decent fish and we released many smaller ones. We also stopped on several spots and caught some small groupers by yo-yoing small jigs in shallow water.

After a few hours, we moved a bit outside to a deeper hole to look for black seabass. Didn't take long for Payaso to hook up on a decent fish. He managed to bring up the fish and it wound up being a 30lb-plus yellow. Like always, Payaso caught the biggest fish of the day.

After a few more drifts for a couple lost fish, we headed back west towards the bay and we stopped at a spot just south of Horsehead Island. Dropped the heavy jigs and managed one 30 pounder and a couple of 20 pounders. Called it a day and headed in to clean the fish.

Forgot to mention that we stopped on some breaking fish just south of Horsehead Island on the way out. They wound up being some smaller yellows (perfect for the smoker so we kept 3-4). The weather was a little bumpy on the way there, but nice and flat once we arrived at the island. The weather laid down for the trip back which was nice.

Thursday we did our annual La Gringa day. Hauled the kayaks over there and caught our normal amount of spotted bay bass and triggerfish. My buddy also got a couple of barracuda while we were trolling.

Friday we fished with Payaso again and we decided to go north. My brother wanted to catch white seabass and in the past, we got them in the Remedios area. The word was the yellows were still in the area, and we got a lot of fish there on Monday so we decided it was a good plan.

Managed a good amount of bait and made the trip north. The weather was a little better on the trip north (not as much wind as Monday) so we got there a little faster. In fact for an hour or so, we were the only boat there. I was starting to think we mad a mistake, but soon after, 7-8 pangas arrived. Didn't take long before we started hooking quality yellow on bait and jigs.

After a short while, Payaso asked if he could use my 100lb setup (Makaira 20 and PCH 80-130lb rod). I tied on some 100lb fluorocarbon to the 100lb spectra and set up a 12 ounce sinker rig. After a couple of drifts, Payaso hooks into something big. Payaso managed to keep the fish out of the rocks and began to slowly reel up the fish in low gear. After. several minutes, the fish surfaces and it's a huge white seabass. I quickly gaff the fish and get it into the boat. The fish was perfectly hooked in the corner of the mouth, but when I grabbed the hook to remove it, the hook basically fell out. One more little head shake and the hook would have came loose. The fishing gods were definitely on our sides on this one.

We managed to fill the fish cooler with enough meat to take home the next day so we called it an early day. Besides, the seabass could not fit in the cooler so the door was open and the ice was melting so we wanted to get in and clean the fish.

We put the seabass on the old rusty scale at the fish cleaning station and it read 57 pounds so we called it an even 60 pounds (by next year it will be at least a 70 pounder, lol).

Bait was made right in front of the boat ramp and near the lighthouse. Decent amount of Macks in the water and if you took extra time, you could probably fill the bait tank. We didn't fish to deep so we only needed 10oz and 12oz sinkers to get down to the bottom for the bait fishing.

Jigs were normal Salas 6x jr in blue/white and scrambled egg, also big Krockadiles worked.

Trolled jigs for the leopard grouper were Yo-zuri Crystal 3D divers in chartreuse silver and the purple tiger pattern, which worked best.

Overall a great trip with no problems or drama. Only got stopped at one of the military checkpoints and the soldiers were friendly like always. The fishing seems to be getting better so hope you guys can get down there soon.

Safe travels and have fun. Hopefully my picture will upload (I'm old and challenged when it comes to technology).View attachment 1042594
Awesome trip !! I enjoyed reading about your adventures !! Nice road, too !!

captpop70

Jun 30, 2014
Woody, CA
Name
Scott McEwen
Boat
Trophy
Thanks for your report...We're headed down late July...can't wait. Got everything ready to go, now the hard part...chomping at the bit to get on the road. Where is the fish cleaning table? Casa Diaz? We're staying at Villa Bahia and there is no good place there to process the catch. Thanks again!

Reactions: denis

yakluv

Aug 26, 2009
Long Beach
Name
L
Boat
Malibu Extreme
Thanks for your report...We're headed down late July...can't wait. Got everything ready to go, now the hard part...chomping at the bit to get on the road. Where is the fish cleaning table? Casa Diaz? We're staying at Villa Bahia and there is no good place there to process the catch. Thanks again!
Yes, Casa Diaz behind where they store there pangas. We've always fished with Diaz because we lease our property from him and have known him and his guides for a long time.

Not sure if just anyone is allowed to use there fish cleaning station, especially with all the mess left behind from processing fish. There are always a couple of guys there that clean the fish and we tip them $5-$10, depending on how much fish we have. Pretty sure if you asked someone at the Diaz market about using the station, they could help you.

Have a great trip and stay safe.