BOLA 07-07 and 07-08

Beer Goggles

Feb 9, 2007
Trabuco Canyon CA
Name
O
Boat Name
The Snapper Slapper
Sorry guys this won't have pics- just a quick update for anyone headed down. You have all seen 15 pound yellowtail before.

Drove down Weds 07-06 for 2 days of fishing (on 07-07 and 07-08). Drove through Mexicali West ay about 9am and didn't get sent to inspection, which is unusual because I have a truck with a camper shell. As soon as I drove into Mexicali a local police officer "happened" to be sitting off one of the side streets and pulled right in behind me. As he followed me I saw the street ahead, which coincidentally also "happened" to have another police officer sitting and waiting to pull on to the main street. Hell of a coincidence, right? I'm not sure if the border workers tip off the local cops in waiting that a dumb ass American is headed their way? The second cop pulled out next to me ( I was in the center lane) and saw that the first police car was already following me. I guess the first cop that spots the dumb American has first dibs to try for the mordida? Must be an unwritten rule, as the second cop turned away on the next street to get back further up in the rotation. The first cop continued to follow me to look for an alleged violation of law. Wouldn't you know it, the police officer following me must have spotted some violation as they lit up the oversized American truck with fishing rods strapped to the roof rack on the shell. Instead of yielding immediately, I continued a block or so to look for a populated area where I could pull over. I turned into the OXXO which was open for business and had an almost full lot, with customers going in and out. 3 police officers got out of the patrol car. You know if they have to split it 3 ways, they are going for a big bribe attempt.

Female approached the driver side and asked me if I spoke Spanish. No Ma'am, I don't speak a word- sorry can't help you. She doesn't need to know I've been coming down for 25 years. She has the male officer approach me. That Bastard spoke English better than I do, current score police 1, me 0. He asks me to pull back out onto the road and away from the business so we can discuss the car stop. No sir, we can discuss it here if need be, I'm not driving away so you can pull me over somewhere with less attention. I stay put. Police 1, me 1, game tied.

He asks for my license and insurance, which I already had ready. Along with a large envelope with a 8.5 X 11 print out of the Sindicatura emblem and a paper and pen to take notes. I write down his name and the date, time, and location. In addition to my license and registration, I hand him a piece of paper paperclipped to both. It basicly reads- "notice to police", I respect that you have pulled me over for an alleged violation, if need be, I will voluntarily follow you to see the judge. I do not pay fees at the side of the road. The male reads the paper and asks me if I want to go see the judge. I explain that I do not want to but that is what I am willing to do if need be. I asked him the reason for the car stop. I am not being a smart ass, I am trying to be respectful but also let them know it's not my first time and there are much easier targets. He walks back to the heavier set female officer and they have a discussion at the rear of my truck. The third officer stands back and watches traffic and deters anyone else from pulling into the OXXO behind us (small lot).

After a minute of discussion the male returns to my vehicle and asks the standard "do you have any drugs or knives" speech. When I respond no, he asks for consent to search my truck. He receives permission and Matt and I step out of the truck. I watch him as he searches under my seat and in my center console. I thought about filming with my phone, but I didn't want piss anyone with machismo off. It really just seemed like at that point he was only going through the motions. He never opened any of my gear, belongings, bags, rear of the truck, coolers, etc... I'm claiming I'm up 2 to 1 at this point.

After patting down Matt they pat me down. The female removed a tube of dramamine from my pocket. The female asks me what it is and I explain its dramamine for sea sickness. Not believing me, she shows the male and he confirms it is dramamine. As I am writing down the heavy female officers name and taking notes, they hand me my documentation back. The female gets a laugh and points out that my hand is shaking as I reach for my documents. She alludes to the fact that I am scared. I am nervous, as it is a shitty position to be in. I explain that I am more pissed off about being pulled over for the 20th time in Mexicali (actaully the third).

I tried to see the third female officers name but she was facing away from us and never made contact nor did she participate in the shakedown attempt. I actually wanted her name because she was kind of hot, and had a nice turdcutter. She appeared to mix in a little bit of cardio and an occasional salad. The police told me to have a nice day and drove away without ever giving me an answer to the reason for the stop. Truth be told my truck has front tint and they can use that excuse anytime. The entire encounter was less than 10 minutes. They were "respectful" and not unprofessional. I honestly feel they knew they weren't getting any cash from me and it would take up half their shift to have me go to the station. It would take away from their "hunting" for easier money for the rest of the day. We all know it's part of the game, and we are kind of powerless to the attempts. I just tried to be respectful, indicate that I knew the game, and not piss anyone off so it was a flexing nuts contest. It seemed to work and we pulled out of the OXXO and continued or way south.

Roads were in better condition than I have ever seen, few potholes and no real construction. We made our way to BOLA without further issue. Bola had more people towing boats and more people fishing than I have ever seen in many years of going. I did not see the government or people checking licenses at the dock (Still need to have your fishing license though). Tons of people in the morning trying to make bait- the problem THERE IS NO BAIT! We were told it's been two weeks of no bait and we scratched together a few pieces in an hour and went out to jig fish.

Most boats did not appear to do well - by BOLA standards- however we still had a better yellowtail day than anything you experience locally. The lack of bait appeared to be a big problem for most boats. We finished with 15 yellowtail on day one- from 10 to 20 pounds, a couple of grouper, and numerous bass deflated and sent back home. Second day was a repeat, with most boats fishing the jig and not doing too well. We managed 13 yellows and a few others. Bonito were somewhat annoying in the middle of the water column.

This is the first time I fished with Ismael- who is Guillermo's son in law. He spoke pretty good English and worked his ass off. We fished the south end of the big island and moved from rock to rock. He targeted depths ranging from 110 to about 260. He really worked hard to put us on fish and he stayed out longer than expected. He was willing to do or try anything, wasn't afraid to burn gas, and was fun to talk with and fish with. Finished the day in Don Juan cove with a swim, which felt amazing because it was ridiculously hot and humid with no wind. Swamp ass all day long- you never stopped sweating the entire day, except when the boat was moving and you could cool down and reapply some sunblock.

Bring tons of hydration, sunblock, and more hydration. Most of our fish came on the blueish gold 200G and 160G Shimano Butterfly jigs. The jigs were fished with a fast retrieve and that seemed to be most of the action, more so than on the drop this trip. Matt hooked most of his on the Mint/Gold Jri 6 or 66- whatever the smaller version is.

Side note- Liz's restaurant has amazing food. The food , drinks, and hospitality was awesome. Do yourself a favor in town and try Liz's- it's the new restaurant on the main road next to launch ramp. A huge clue is that "Liz's restaurant" is painted on the front of the building in huge letters. We had fried fish tacos, lobster burritos, yellowtail ceviche, and an amazing scallop ceviche. I should have at least taken pictures of the food to show you guys. I will definitely be back there on all my trips going forward. Plenty of beer, ice, gas and diesel available. I saw a trailer that was set up and selling bags of ice only. The market near the launch ramp, across from Martin's was open at 5 am and has everything you might need on the boat- beer, ice, snacks etc...

I will be headed back down the 27th to the 30th. Looks like Just me and one other buddy for now. Hopefully the bait shows back up in the bay soon. We did hook a few on dead sardines and we even tried bonito bellies for a bit. A few very small dorado were caught, just not by us. We got one to pick up a bait but couldn't get it to stick. If you are going have fun, common sense, and some patience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TsTime

May 9, 2006
IB
Name
Gary
Boat Name
37' Strike Walk Around
Great write up and I'll hitch hike thread, same trip but no BS thru Tecate 7/5-7/9, we commented on best road condition ever. We fished with Igor, son Isaac and Mario out of Daggets for 3 days . NO Bait, we did make 10'' yellowtail under sargrassa in main channel day 3. My crew targeted grouper, cabrilla etc in the rocks tight. Slower than normal, tried for the yellows and had 3 in the cooler day 3. Slowest yellowtail day for us. Tried Hamacas, to busy to say and the food so so, stayed with taco carts for balance. Yes hot, 101 at 8.30 pm Thursday night, nice on the water weds and thursday. A few dorado have been caught. Good luck on next trip Beer Goggles.

Upvote 0

dutra

Almost A Member
May 12, 2007
california
Name
Dutra
Boat Name
ding-a-ling
Can you send me a copy of the note you had attached to the 8 x 11.5 sheet of paper that says "notice to the police" that you handed to the cop? Been driving down about 4 times now just want to be prepared. Heading down Aug 25th

Reactions: Cubeye
Upvote 0

waynem

Dec 8, 2011
Cardiff, CA USA
Name
wayne mod
Boat Name
kayak
That was a well written account of your unfortunate experience with the cops in Mexicali. And seems like you handled it well, too. I've been pulled over probably 6 or 7 times in Mexicali over the last 15 years...always a bummer. But one time in particular, my brother and I had a pretty terrible experience, on the south end of Mexical. This was a few years ago. Cops pulled us over for no reason (and never gave us one). They had me and my brother get out of the truck, patted us down, took out our wallets, etc. Then one of the three cops began to search the interior of my truck, pulled out a 6 inch knife (his, of course) then promptly had the other 2 cops handcuff us. That's when it started getting scary. We were very polite, but also insisted that the knife was not ours (and it wasn't). The big, heavy guy told us the fine for carrying a knife inside the truck would be $500. We went back and forth, finally getting it down to $40. When we were about to hand him the cash, he said "No, no! Someone may see!"...the highway was busy with traffic where we had pulled over. He had us lay the cash on top of the seat, discreetly. Pretty comical really, except for being scared the whole time. I would most likely have insisted on going to the station, buy my brother was really scared and just wanted to get away from them. Best not to pay mordida though. And 9 times out of 10, if you ask to go to the station, they will send you on your way. I reported the incident to the Mexican Consulate, but doubt much of anything was done.

Upvote 0

dutra

Almost A Member
May 12, 2007
california
Name
Dutra
Boat Name
ding-a-ling
That was a well written account of your unfortunate experience with the cops in Mexicali. And seems like you handled it well, too. I've been pulled over probably 6 or 7 times in Mexicali over the last 15 years...always a bummer. But one time in particular, my brother and I had a pretty terrible experience, on the south end of Mexical. This was a few years ago. Cops pulled us over for no reason (and never gave us one). They had me and my brother get out of the truck, patted us down, took out our wallets, etc. Then one of the three cops began to search the interior of my truck, pulled out a 6 inch knife (his, of course) then promptly had the other 2 cops handcuff us. That's when it started getting scary. We were very polite, but also insisted that the knife was not ours (and it wasn't). The big, heavy guy told us the fine for carrying a knife inside the truck would be $500. We went back and forth, finally getting it down to $40. When we were about to hand him the cash, he said "No, no! Someone may see!"...the highway was busy with traffic where we had pulled over. He had us lay the cash on top of the seat, discreetly. Pretty comical really, except for being scared the whole time. I would most likely have insisted on going to the station, buy my brother was really scared and just wanted to get away from them. Best not to pay mordida though. And 9 times out of 10, if you ask to go to the station, they will send you on your way. I reported the incident to the Mexican Consulate, but doubt much of anything was done.
Wow you been going for 15 years and been pulled over 6-7 times that's almost 50% LOL terrible luck.

Upvote 0

Eye Problem

If 1st you dont succeed, failure may be your style
Mar 26, 2003
Lake Forest
bdoutdoors.com
Name
Greg
Boat Name
AHOAGAIN
Thats average for Mexicali west. Been there, done that. Bites.

Upvote 0

Dogman619

Nov 6, 2012
Bahia de los Angeles. Spring Valley
Name
Chris
Boat Name
Sea Pro 18DC
Heres your food pic brother. Was a fun time fishing with you guys. We worked hard for what we got.
20220710_214637.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Beer Goggles

Feb 9, 2007
Trabuco Canyon CA
Name
O
Boat Name
The Snapper Slapper
I just wanted to share the experience with the shake down and bait situation, but in doing so, I didn't even mention dogman's hospitality. For those of you that don't know Chris, he is very generous with his time, resources, and town knowledge. Chris has a place down there and allowed us to stay with him for the nights we were down. He has been in Bola ever since he was a little kid. Great wealth of knowledge and very giving of his time and energy. He has shown us new bars (very important), new restaurants, and how to dive in the water head first within half a second when a fishing rod goes overboard.
I appreciate you Chris- thanks for the adventure...

Hi men...
Can you tell to matt on wish days you want to come down so I check my days...
Thanks...see you

Enrique - I will PM you on this board. I will make sure that we speak directly to lock in a room and some dates. I don't have any social media, instagram, or facebook, that's why Bad Luck Matt has to play middle man and try and relay my messages. It was nice to see you on the water and your mom at the hotel briefly. Keep working hard brother, see you soon.

Upvote 0

MateoFeo

Mucho Take it Easy
  • Aug 22, 2007
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat Name
    19' CC
    For whatever reason Mexicali gives me that gut wrenching feeling more than any other place I've been in the world. If going down the 5 nowadays, I go through Tecate and take the cutoff down to the South end of Mexicali. I'll be there 23rd-30th, see you on the water. I'll be the guy with 2 kids in the 14' Tinny
    :cheers:

Thanks for the read and way to stand up. Fight the Bite!

Fight the BIte.jpg

Upvote 0

Beer Goggles

Feb 9, 2007
    Trabuco Canyon CA
    Name
    O
    Boat Name
    The Snapper Slapper
    For those of you that asked ^^^^ That is what I'm talking about... I'm going to start looking into crossing in Tecate and taking the route you just mentioned. I'm considering pushing my late July trip back until August just to give the bait a chance to find it's way back into the bay. Jigging all day for a couple days, non stop, in that heat, really kicked my ass. As we all know the macs could be back tomorrow, I just want to give it some time. 9 hour turn around drives are taking their toll.

Reactions: johnny12fish
    Upvote 0

Cole418

• Jul 18, 2019
    Encinitas
    Name
    Cole
    Boat Name
    2018 Parker 2320 - "Reel Busy"
    Thats average for Mexicali west. Been there, done that. Bites.
    We too just learned this, the hard way, on our first BOLA trip.... literally the SAME situation as Beer Goggles... except we weren't experienced enough to have the written note and unfortunately had to pay up to get back on the road.. I'll share the full fishing report tomorrow when I have time to do it justice but yea.... screw Mexicali West!!!!!

Upvote 0

1 Ola Mas

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 24, 2010
    Looking at the Coronados from the patio...
    Name
    WoodEye
    Boat Name
    15' Gregor 25hp Mariner
    Use google and find the phone numbers to Sindicatura del Gobierno Municipal in Mexicali, Tijuana and Ensenada. Print those words and the numbers from Word sized to fit the back of your DL below the magnetic strip. Scotch tape that paper in place. I put a big crease so the turd feels it and turns it over. You can also hand it to him face down but either way he knows you arent fucking around.

Upvote 0

Beer Goggles

Feb 9, 2007
    Trabuco Canyon CA
    Name
    O
    Boat Name
    The Snapper Slapper
    That is what I did ^^- not the back of the license for me but a large Manilla envelope with the emblem attached and all of my paperwork inside. I was ready for the stop, not fumbling around, and handed them all documents in advance without being asked. The print out of the "notice to officers" statement in English and Spanish was also found online. I printed about 10 copies, cut them to size, and have that paperclipped to my license and insurance. I'm sure that alone doesn't work any magic, it just shows them that you are prepared.

Be willing to follow through if they tell you to follow them to the police station, or at least indicate that you are. Yes, it is intimidating and the outcome is a somewhat unknown variable, but don't go through all this crap and then end up paying their bribe in the end.

They will probably be highly offended by you writing down and recording all of their information and activities. They may take 4 hours out of your day by making you follow them to the police station "aka Judge" as well. I have also heard stories of them leading you into some f'd up run down neighborhood and then ditching you. Also don't blame me if you get thrown in jail and the inmates turn your delicate white prison wallet inside out.

About 10 years ago a group of us on our dirt bikes got stopped for allegedly speeding through a school zone. We were not willing to pay the fine at the side of the rode. They kept our licenses and told us to follow them to the police station. They woke up a fat old dude who was sleeping at the station at 10 a.m. (AKA the Judge). He typed up our speeding fine on a typewriter. We paid out $6 dollars a piece (total 60 bucks) for the speeding violation and we were on our way back out towards Mikes Sky Ranch.

That is my only experience with going to the police station. Unlike some of you savages, I have never been broken in at a Mexican jail. I'm sure the inmates will appreciate my sense of humor and be nice and gentle with me though...???

Upvote 0

Dogman619

Nov 6, 2012
    Bahia de los Angeles. Spring Valley
    Name
    Chris
    Boat Name
    Sea Pro 18DC
    I did the heavy lifting for everyone and found a new number to add 072
    View attachment 1403049
    Woody, maybe we could have some stickers made for the trucks. If we all rock the same sticker, and stand our ground. Then maybe they would catch on. If 20 30 trucks all had the same sticker and attitudes. Maybe theyd stop fucking with the bd crews Idk. Somewhat Worked a long time ago when my parents were around. I remember mom having the sticker along with her friends and her talking shit back to cops with it

Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat Name
    17' Gregor
    So...........did he allow you to keep "your" knife, or did he confiscate it?

We had a police stop in Tecate one time. It was $20.00 and he told us to put it in his Vehicle Code Book

Reactions: Dogman619
    Upvote 0