MeCrankMate

TheLegendOfTheLuckyScale
Sep 4, 2006
Meridian, Id
Name
Scott
Boat
Float Tube "Shark Dougnut"
I know, you guys are going to give me shit for not posting for like a year... ever since I got my new smart phone it's been a pain in the ass to upload pics to BD the way I used to, and it's way easier to just upload to Facebook directly from my phone. Finally got around to dumping all the pics from this past year and uploading them to a file to share with you guys here on BD. I also haven't been as good at taking pics like I should. A lot of times lately I have just C&R'd some really nice fish without struggling to get my phone out of my waders and get a photo record. To be honest, I catch so many toads up here in Boise that it is almost common now and I just want to get the fish back unharmed. Plus I fish solo a lot and that makes it a little bit more challenging to get quality pics without injuring the fish further. Anyway, here ya go...

Surprisingly, these three summer rainbows, despite how similar they look in size and color, are three different fish from three different locations on the Boise River. However, all three fell to the same lure :)
704762_432158240185225_1674953009_o.jpg
704076_432157846851931_934025887_o.jpg
703614_432158320185217_912633216_o.jpg

Improvised stringer... had to use a willow branch when I realized that I had left my stringer at home. I've since adopted an all CPR policy on the Boise River. Just a personal thing. This is a very productive stretch on the Boise River that runs through town and is the beginning of a run we call "The Gauntlet". All of my PB's on the Boise for browns and rainbows have come from this run.
466777_3776466742591_301783936_o.jpg

Locked up on a nice rainbow on an undisclosed spot on the Boise River.
305094_402049806529402_1089275484_n.jpg
295200_402050183196031_1589835170_n.jpg

All of these next pics are from the Owyhee River in Eastern Oregon. This place is an EPIC trout fishery with trophy browns making up the majority of the catch here, but there is a good mix of large rainbows mixed in as well (I have personally only caught browns on this river). My PB German Brown was caught this last March here, 26" and I estimated him at around 6#s. Unfortunately I didn't get a pic of him, he wound himself up in my line when he gator rolled and, being alone, wanted to get him back asap to minimize the damage to him. As you can see, the landscape is rugged as all get out and the water is off color making the browns hungry and not very picky. I only made 3 trips out there this year.
465693_294436637290720_688322947_o.jpg
469024_294431803957870_690343029_o.jpg
470755_294433937290990_314753295_o.jpg
471533_302622526472131_750030895_o.jpg
337739_207263362674715_1614065911_o.jpg
340329_207262616008123_844907370_o.jpg
463404_302622243138826_1483877936_o.jpg
414748_302627109805006_1339592152_o.jpg
475705_294432653957785_1164165615_o.jpg

My brother Mike and his PB Brown from the Owyhee. Take note of the fly fisherman in the back of this photo... the Owyhee is a very popular spot for fly fishing. So much so that every time I have ever been over there I am the only spin/cast fisherman that I ever see. And let me say, I fish circles around the fly guys, which pisses them off like you wouldn't believe. We hung like 6 nice browns in 5 mins down stream from this guy. He had been in that same spot for hours and caught like two browns for his efforts. He was shaking his head and all pissed off that we just showed up and started slaying it :finger:
290470_207259072675144_52980951_o.jpg

The local pond action was epic this year as well. When the rivers are blown out with run-off and some of the better high elevation lakes are still frozen over, our local park ponds are a great way to hook up on some nice sized stockers and wet a line for a few hours. Up here in Boise, just about every park pond in the valley is regularly stocked with catchable rainbows several times a month. And a couple times a year, select ponds are stocked with massive rainbows and Golden rainbows (known to So Cal locals as Lightning Trout). Last year, my biggest rainbow from these ponds were a pair of 12#ers. Those of you who know me know that I'm a major mini jig enthusiast and no one up here uses jigs for trout in still water. 30 fish days are common for a couple hours worth of fishing, and if the big dawgs are in there, I catch them :food-smil Best of all, all you need is a fishing lic. and it's game on. There is only one "Pay to Play" lake that I know of here in Idaho, and the hatchery that stocks that particular lake, also stocks the local ponds here in town. All of these fish were caught from the local park pond down the street from my house... all on jigs.
48269_422350307832685_1378307891_o.jpg
172730_422350224499360_35115942_o.jpg
474486_291036517630732_359653918_o.jpg

I have to travel across the state for work (oh darn) and I always bring my rod and my gear with me to explore the area after work. Here are some pics from this year when I got some fishing time in after work in different areas of the state. Caught my first Cutthroat Trout up near Coeur d'Alene on the CDA River. The river with the ice and snow was the Payette River on the 2nd of Jan. First rainbow of the year that day :)

470947_417319585002424_182066359_o.jpg
466098_407152969352419_895810369_o.jpg
413279_252300801504304_1302142650_o.jpg
329826_252300344837683_1129707642_o.jpg
410906_252301474837570_1215843115_o.jpg

Took a road trip through Oregon to the coast last month, only stopped once to fish, but it was a gorgeous trip all around. Stopped here on the North Santiam River in central Oregon. Cookie cutter rainbows that weren't picky or really photo worthy. The scenery was breath taking though.
176887_419877621413287_1863596779_o.jpg

Not sure why some of the attachments are out of order, or why I can't get these following pics to organize, but you get the picture. Year isn't over yet, lots of good fishing still on the horizon before Dec. 31st. I'll try and be better about updates in the future. Until then, :finger:

Attachments

PCH

El Nino 2015!!!!!!
Jul 14, 2008
North San Diego
Name
Paul
Boat
Gregor 20
Great pics, beautiful country and great report!

Fly fisherman don't like you! Oh we'll keep it up...

Wandering Blues

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
"And let me say, I fish circles around the fly guys, which pisses them off like you wouldn't believe. We hung like 6 nice browns in 5 mins down stream from this guy. He had been in that same spot for hours and caught like two browns for his efforts. He was shaking his head and all pissed off that we just showed up and started slaying it..."

It's because you are way cooler than us. We flyfishers don't like anybody so don't feel special. :finger:

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
"And let me say, I fish circles around the fly guys, which pisses them off like you wouldn't believe. We hung like 6 nice browns in 5 mins down stream from this guy. He had been in that same spot for hours and caught like two browns for his efforts. He was shaking his head and all pissed off that we just showed up and started slaying it..."

It's because you are way cooler than us. We flyfishers don't like anybody so don't feel special. :finger:
He hasn't fished next to my buddy from Eagle, ID or I on the Owyhee. He's so proud that he smoked a single fly fisher, but try that against someone who's good and knows the O. The gear guy would be owned. My best on the O is 28" and my buddy's best is 36" on dries. Gear guy couldn't even wade the spot we get those at as the water is too fast.

Another likely reason the fly guy disliked you is that you bring a stringer and you're laying fish on the rocks to take photos.

PCH

El Nino 2015!!!!!!
Jul 14, 2008
North San Diego
Name
Paul
Boat
Gregor 20
Biggest T is gods gift to fishing! Your the best fisherman on this site!

Your like the bloodydecks tree hugger police.

Who gives a fuck if he brings a stringer and pile drives those fish on the rocks. I'm sure he is eating them.

Beer Goggles

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 9, 2007
Trabuco Canyon CA
Name
O
Boat
The Snapper Slapper
I've been following Scott's posts for a year or two as i contemplate a move to Idaho...He seems like a decent guy and I'm sure he wasn't trying to offend purists and flyfishermen...Just relax and appreciate the pictures and the post for what they are..I appreciate the fact that he would take the time to post to BD..

Thanks for all of the great pictures and keep the posts coming...Looks like you made a great choice in moving up north...Someday I will make the move and might be fishing next to you...Of course, I'll have a fly rod and I won't speak to you because my buddy has caught more fish than you..:rofl:

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Biggest T is gods gift to fishing! Your the best fisherman on this site!

Your like the bloodydecks tree hugger police.

Who gives a fuck if he brings a stringer and pile drives those fish on the rocks. I'm sure he is eating them.
Nice to see one of BD's truly ignorant asshats posting in finest form. The Owyhee is catch and release only. Doh!

Crawl back into your cave, idiot.

PCH

El Nino 2015!!!!!!
Jul 14, 2008
North San Diego
Name
Paul
Boat
Gregor 20
Open your eyes and read dumbass. I don't see one stringer or dead fish in the pictures he posted of the Owhyee river.

Is the Boise river catch and release only? I'm asking you because you know everything about fishing.

And don't worry your still the most educated, skilled angler on this site.

Good luck fishing, Internet policing and hugging trees

dannykl1957

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 20, 2011
woodland hills,ca
Name
daniel klein
Boat
none
I'm wondering what lure he is using so successfully. Could not make out if it was a Phoebe or TBouyant or something very similar.

Great report! Great Pictures!Thanks for sharing your experiences.

MeCrankMate

TheLegendOfTheLuckyScale
Sep 4, 2006
Meridian, Id
Name
Scott
Boat
Thanks for the comments guys, I know it's been awhile, always good to see that the spice hasn't left the site ;) BiggestT, I would LOVE to fish with you or your buddy from Eagle, would love to see this water that I couldn't wade (and I've waded during peak run-off in shit that would turn your ugly ass mug white as a ghost, caught toad fish in it, and damn near lost my ass several times doing so), and I'd love to see any body of water that could be fished better. Any time, anywhere. I say this with confidence, not arrogance. I love fly fishing, have nothing against it, and I have a lot of respect for the art and the skill needed to fish this way. AND I fly fish as well when the situation calls for it. It's just not what I'm the BEST at and the majority of the places I fish you couldn't fly fish anyway do to cover and hang ups. I've had to stop throwing metal on the Owyhee for a period of an hour when the gators went heads up on sub surface and top water bugs, busted out my dad's 4wt 1980 something Cortland that he bought at Ken's Sporting Goods in Bridgeport, Ca as a back up rod and has a reel on it that doesn't even have a drag (I know my new setup does), threw dries that didn't even match the hatch, and caught TOAD brown's to 23" doing so. This is sooo not the point here.... some, not all, of the guys that fish the "O" as you call it, think their shit don't stink and that all other forms of fishing are bull shit, which I have proven disgustingly wrong time and time again with 50 fish days on that river throwing jigs and hardbaits. I didn't just fish circles around the one guy, how about every fucker I've ever seen on that river, guides, tourists like myself (I live in Idaho, not Oregon) and the locals that know their home river a hell of a lot better than you do. Consider this if you will: I make up to 5 more casts on average to every one of yours, that is when I haven't caught fish on consecutive casts. I cover more water, in a quicker amount of time than you can. This is governed by pure presentation of your fly if you're doing it right. You need to false cast, straighten out, and present... let it float unless you hit him on the head with it, and let the fish take it before coming set. I have a much greater casting range than you do, from the sight fish that is 4 feet from me, to fish upwards of 30 yards + from me. You target fish that are actively feeding, in a feeding lane that any good fisherman that knows a river looks for, and you're matching the hatch (according to whomever's interpretation of that hatch is)... which takes time and a lot of thought going into it. You need good access and good clearance to fish, which means you're limited at times to how and where you present to a fish and where that fish is, what it's feeding on, etc. I'm about as mobile and universal as it gets. I don't just target the feeding fish (the one's you call heads up) in the feeding lanes... I target the entire body of water as a whole. I get the feeders, the one's that are hiding in spots you'd never get a fly to and are waiting for an opportunistic moment if it comes along. I get the one's who aren't even hungry, the one's that're just territorial and pissed off in general. I can fish shallow or deep depending on my rate of retrieve (don't need to change from dry to wet or sinking/floating lines or specific tippets or whatever), and I'll be damned if the rate of flow of the river has much of a difference unless it's white water and unfishable anyway. If I'm not feeling the lure I'm using (which has nothing whatsoever to do with any type of hatch, just the amount of strikes or fish I've caught in a certain amount of time) I've got other's that are just as deadly and can be put on a swivel in seconds vs. having to fumble fuck thru my box of custom, expertly tied, artist rendition opinions of what ever the hell is flying around in the air at any given moment. It's about the strike, pulling a fish out of a spot that would not have otherwise been hooked, that is completely unreachable to you anyway, and he's pissed the hell off for it. And I do it more than you, faster, and I have a wicked ass good time doing so. Granted, I have yet to bang a double digit (lbs that is) out of the Owyhee, but all I need is more time on the water. Shit, I've only fished it 6 times total in 2 years and WRECKED my PB's for numbers in a day and length and lbs!!! I've met several locals from Ontario and Adrian while fishing up there, have shot the shit with them (I'm not an asshole, I'm actually respectful if you're not a douche bag), and one even gave me the nod for my practice of conservation up there. He thought as you do, spin/cast guys are meat sack fisherman with no respect. Not all of us are. It is very rare that I fish a lure with a treble hook anymore. I switch them all out to Siwash hooks. Only when I'm in a hurry, when the bite is going off and I haven't yet converted a lure in the line I'm using, do I resort to a treble hook. Had to do so last week actually, caught a toad doing it, and sort of felt bad. I'd also like to see the prick who left the several contractor bags of trash that I haul off the banks every time I go up there. And if I did, chances are he'd be a douche fly fisherman because I've never seen another spin/cast guy up there minus the guys I bring with me!!! I have seen about 100 fly guys though, and when I ask them how the bite is going, and they've gotten two or three to my 20 and it's only 9 am... I smile :) The pics of the browns on the rocks... well, I was taking a break from the waders for the afternoon, had to bushwhack my ass to a spot that few guys fish due to access (in and out of the water) and GENTLY laid them down after they were done putting a huge ass smile on my face for fighting their ass off. Note, the damn lure is still in the mouth of the fish... in fact, the fish was probably only out of the water a total of 15 secs or less and booked ass out of dodge when released... yeah, looked real injured to me. I take just about every measure to make sure I release all fish I don't keep unharmed. I wouldn't even keep a rainbow on the "O"(Which you can do by the way, you can keep rainbows last time I checked. Only the browns are C&R) out of respect for the fishery and the fact that I love that place so much ... either that or the massive amounts of Mercury that has been measured coming out of Owyhee Dam from marine fuel, just sayin'. I hate to say it sir, but you just sound jealous that you live in So Cal and know that I am a mere hour and thirty mins from a spot that probably has blown your mind every time you've had the pleasure to fish it and wish you could tomorrow. I promise I will take good care of it for you :finger: Have your buddy PM me if you want, hell, PM me yourself if you are going to make it up this way... I would take it as a great learning experience to fish with some guys that could out fish me anywhere, no disrespect, just good fun and an open mind to it all. I'd love to fish the Boise with you guys, oh what a time that would be!!! It'll only make me better if it happens.

PCH, the Boise is not C&R only, 6 per day as with most all waters in Idaho. I pretty much only CPR all the trout I catch anymore, unless they are going on the Treager for a BBQ night with the family or to smoke them, which I did with all of the fish that I kept in the photos. Nowadays, I"m more about conservation than anything else and I worry about water quality here in town with run-off and whatnot. Besides, if I kept everything I caught, damn, wouldn't be much left around here to fish for ;) Just BSin'... I just love the way some arrogant guys love to come off and judge others from what they see in a picture, or say what others can or can't do if THEY were there. I laugh. And I laugh my ass off when I show em how dumb they are for saying so without considering all the facts!!

There is no Supreme way of fishing, the point is loving what you're doing, doing what you love, and respecting the area you're doing it in. I have fun doing what I do, it helps that I'm surgical with my shit and I know what to do and where to do it. I don't litter, don't kill what I don't eat, and I go out of my way to promote conservation through CPR, C&R only, and the right to consume fish with respect to a daily bag limit. 90% of what I caught this year went back in the water to fight another day. Shit man, fish tastes good right!?! I like to eat fish, especially rainbows!! I do, however, throw all browns back. Just like Calico's in the salt... slow to grow, let em go. They're natives, let em be. Rainbows, Brookies, Metal heads, and Salmon will die by my hand if I'm hungry and if that's what I'm out for... don't like it, :finger:

MeCrankMate

TheLegendOfTheLuckyScale
Sep 4, 2006
Meridian, Id
Name
Scott
Boat
dannykl1957, my #1 lure to start on a river or stream is the Thomas Bouyant Fighting Fish in Red/Gold. Yeah, looks a lot like a Phoebe, but has some advantages that the Phoebe doesn't. For one, the TB is 1/4 oz, but is the same size as the 1/8 oz Phoebe. Size and weight make a hell of a difference on large rivers with deep seams, runs, and pools. In swift water, an 1/8 ounce spoon is too light and will not get into the target zone of the water column. The TB is also thicker, has a different wobble than the Phoebe in quick water. I love the Phoebe in 1/4 oz Red/Gold... but it's bigger than the TB (by a whole size) and I use it on larger bodies of water or in wide, deep, slow sections of a river. I like that the TB is small, just the right weight for precision casts in tight or open areas, it's the perfect reaction strike color, and can be used in every direction (upstream, across, downstream, etc.) and in every part of the water column.

This is no secret by any means... everyone knows how effective TB's are, especially the original fatty. But the Fighting Fish can be used in a greater range than other spoons and it's my go to out the gate. If they aren't hitting it, I've got other tricks up the ol' sleeve that usually get it done. But generally, if they aren't hitting the Red/Gold or the straight Gold... they got lock jaw and it's work to get one on the line.

MeCrankMate

TheLegendOfTheLuckyScale
Sep 4, 2006
Meridian, Id
Name
Scott
Boat
Beer Goggles, I would fish with you any day man :) I'm not usually this outspoken about this issue, guess I just felt like making a point today. My dad fly fishes, we fish together, it's not a big deal. He just never out fishes me is all :) Usually it's just the attitudes at play that make things uncomfortable. For instance... I was working a stretch on the Owyhee last year in Oct. This old fly guy comes down to where I'm at and gets in the water literally 15 ft in front of me, walking out directly where I'm casting. Of course, I said something to the crotchity old bastard, and he turns around and says, "You shouldn't even be allowed to fish here, you ain't got what it takes." I smiled... He got about 30 feet away and I cast out about 10 ft past him and further into the middle of the river and nailed a 21" male brown right off his ass!!! At one point it breached about two feet from him. I Told him to fuck off. He immediately got out of the water, got in his truck, and left. That's the kind of thing that puts everyone at odds, it's missing the whole point of what fishing is. I just have fun and smile that I'm blessed to be in such an awesome place and luckily I was raised right and have a passion for taking care of what takes care of me. If you ever make it up here, I'd love to show you some epic spots man

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
MeCrankMate, I really don't give a shit about the #s you produce on spin gear. You're a gear guy fishing trout, enough said. Couldn't read all the BS in your post. There were more "I's" in that read than in a Fred Archer book. On the O, you're a gear guy fishing a wild trout tailwater fishery. You should be grateful they even allow you to fish there.

Happy to meet up with you when I'm there next. Leave the unskilled gear at home.

MeCrankMate

TheLegendOfTheLuckyScale
Sep 4, 2006
Meridian, Id
Name
Scott
Boat
BiggestT, I would hate to have to fish within the confines of your mindset, but to each their own. Funny thing, I got an A in English... if you couldn't read my post, the fault is probably your own and I wouldn't go around admitting it to others ;) They have adult education classes for that.

Fact is, you couldn't do what I do with my gear, and I couldn't match your results on your "Gear". It's all gear man, your gear just wears designer threads and catches less fish. Nothing unskilled about it, I'd own you and your buddy. Might even own you both on the same body of water at the same time... sound arrogant? Whether I own you or not, I'd be fishing and I'd be smiling. Beats yard work.

PCH

El Nino 2015!!!!!!
Jul 14, 2008
North San Diego
Name
Paul
Boat
Gregor 20
Hey biggest dip shit,

You can keep rainbows from the "O", so do some reasearch before you call people out on shit where you have no idea what the fuck your talking about.

This reminds me of your Salmom Shark comments you made a while back. Calling the kayakers out about how they where overestimating there sharks weight. Your a jealous hater, it's easy to see that.

How about you start congratulating your fellow anglers for doing a great job on the water and taking the time to post for all of us to see? I'd would be much more respected than being a negative fuck and trying to find only negative points from others posts.

Tell your boyfriend from Eagle Idaho I Said hello.

MeCrankMate

TheLegendOfTheLuckyScale
Sep 4, 2006
Meridian, Id
Name
Scott
Boat
Or you could just stick to reading the Fly Fishing Reports, since they have a forum, and stop raining on someone's parade because you think us "Gear" guys are so unskilled. I for one could care less about ignorant opinions and I don't go on other forums and give people shit that fish different than I do. MY 2 pennies...

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Hey biggest dip shit,

You can keep rainbows from the "O", so do some reasearch before you call people out on shit where you have no idea what the fuck your talking about.

This reminds me of your Salmom Shark comments you made a while back. Calling the kayakers out about how they where overestimating there sharks weight. Your a jealous hater, it's easy to see that.

How about you start congratulating your fellow anglers for doing a great job on the water and taking the time to post for all of us to see? I'd would be much more respected than being a negative fuck and trying to find only negative points from others posts.

Tell your boyfriend from Eagle Idaho I Said hello.
Salmon sharks from kayaks, that's news to me ASSHAT! And I'm pretty good estimating weights on makos and threshers, I mean I have several World Records to my credit as a Captain.

The O is managed as a brown trout fishery. They could care less about rainbows which they estimate constitute less than 10% of the fishery, if that. You go to the O to fish browns and the best stick to dry flies. Bait chuckers and gear gear guys should stick to planted bows on the lower Boise.

I see that your Holidays are starting off just Jolly. Again, crawl back into your cave angry old man.

PCH

El Nino 2015!!!!!!
Jul 14, 2008
North San Diego
Name
Paul
Boat
Gregor 20
Your way older than me you grumpy old fart.

News to you???...BS....you know what the fuck Im talking about when it comes to the salmon shark thread. It's along the same line of the bullshit you spew on this tread. And, sadly I've seen it many times over the years with you.

I love the holidays btw and enjoy them.

Hopefully you and your broke back mountain boyfriend from Eagle do the same.