Boise Idaho Area

bas13

May 22, 2009
Southern California
Name
bas13
Boat
Looking
I will be visiting family this summer and looking to fly fish while I'm there. Prefer to fish for trout, then maybe bass. They are in Nampa down the street is Lake Lowell. Not to far is the Snake River. Owyhee River is little farther and would be my first choice but may not be able to get enough free time to make the journey.
Looking for suggestions. Willing to hire a guide if I can't figure it out myself. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
My dad has lived in Boise for over 25 years. His favorite places to fish are Brownlee Res and Magic Res. Brownlee is about an hour and a half away on the Snake River and has great bass fishing. There is a really nice campground at Woodhead Park. Magic Res is also a couple of hours away but in the other direction. It has good trout fishing. A lot of people just fish in the Boise River. It runs right through the middle of town. When you get to Boise just check with the people at Sportsman's Warehouse. They have a big board with all of the local lakes and rivers with current conditions and they will give you good info on where to go.

Reactions: blowncar and bas13
Upvote 0

5-20

Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower
Jan 20, 2011
San Diego
Name
5-20
Boat
L2 Fish
Dunk some bait for one of those giant sturgeon below one of the dams near you. Nampa doesn't have the best water of the snake, though. It's sort of pea soup colored in that area. Go up north or farther east. I traveled along almost the entire stretch of the snake last summer, beginning from the entrance to hells canyon, all the way to palisades reservoir right at the wyoming state line. That was one of the best parts of my trip thru the NW and even tho I didn't catch a sturgeon, I got to see one of them calmly breach in a ripping tailrace. That fish was 6-7 feet long, I am guessing and that was as awesome as you'd imagine it to be -- definitely going back and the next time I'll be better armed with a lot more knowledge and gear!

Upvote 0

bas13

May 22, 2009
Southern California
Name
bas13
Boat
Looking
Thanks for the replies. Thinking I will try the Owyhee. About an hour away (closer than I thought). Supposed to be one of the best brown trout fisheries around.

Upvote 0