Almost A Member
Sep 6, 2019
San Francisco
Name
Timbo
Boat
13' Boston Whaler
Here's the short version:

Paid money to go fishing because I don't own a boat. Went fishing. Captain looked for quality fish all day, but none to be had. I can't figure out why people call this sport fishing and not catching. Stopped at the end of the day to put a few small fish on the boat so people on the boat could at least beat the skunk. The crew who fishes every single day for a living tried to give me advice... what do they know? I've watched way more youtube videos than those kooks. Skipjack doesn't taste as good as bluefin, therefore fishing sucks. Packed up my shit at the end of the day and went home. I didn't spend another 2 hours cleaning my boat like the other countless people who went out and didn't get quality fish that day. I demand to speak to the manager you bunch of snowflake hippies.

Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat
1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
Upvote 0

FlatPack

Online Angler
Sep 22, 2016
City of Angels
Name
Rexor
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
Heads up to all of the OG fishermen, we just experienced an overnight trip out of a SD landing, we arrived early, and really enjoyed seeing some QUALITY Bluefin being brought in. HOWEVER, if you have not been out in the past few years BEWARE the landing operators have only gotten more greedy and dishonest in the past few years. Prices have increased (to be expected) however the food has decreased in quality and amount, crew attitude is that of doing the passengers a favor, and only the crew have any valid knowledge. Compared to overnight boats and 2 and 3 day trips taken years ago, the OVERALL quality of trips have declined, drastically. We booked an overnight trip, the boat carried more than what was posted for the trip. We motored south through the night, and then carefully trolled an entire day to locate NOTHING,,no blame so far,,,,except we returned to the bio-mass that the 3/4 and day boats were fishing all day while we prospected for the landings more lucrative clients, read multi-day and six-pack quick run charters. We fished a very short window for the SMALLEST YELLOWTAIL(10-12 inch) I have ever seen claimed as a fish caught on purpose. Lots of skipjack, that the crew professed were great eating,,,yeah right. When cleaning the skippies, the meat was so dark as to look unfit for cat food. And the yellowfin were sub sized,,,smaller then the traditional football size. Bear in mind,our boat traveled the entire day without another boat in sight,,,so the radio comms did not mention any fish found by other boats??????Not like a radio group could not relay location of schools willing to bite????? Yeah all the newbies were all excited about the great fishing,,,wonder how long till they figure it out? The size of fish being caught were such that we OG fishers would have reeled in and went looking again for real fish, but the LANDING OWNERS SET THE POLICIES OF LANDING BOATS.
Also of note,,we were told," the fleet no longer does "jackpots" as it may detract from the "fun",,, thanks to our newer millennial snowflake fishing companions.
So before rolling the dice on an open boat,,BE AWARE Book with a boat you have fished before,,try to charter with the boats directly and not run by a large company that outright LIES, and shows NO REGARD for the RESOURCE or SUSTAINABILITY. When I shared this with the landing, their concern was enforcing" covid virus" guidelines on the boat. NOTHING WILL IMPROVE,,until WE SPEND OUR MONEY WITH THE BOATS,,NOT THE LANDING OWNERS

At least you don’t blame the crews are high on Fentanyl! 🤣😂😅

Upvote 0

JimmH

Captain
Jun 23, 2003
Rancho Bernardo-San Diego
instrumentengineers.com
Name
Jimm
Boat
98 Grady White 228; Cobra Maurader kayak
That sounds like a shitty experience. Not sure what boat/landing this was but I have had nothing but good times driving down for trips on the Pacific Queen. Great crew/captain and I was never disappointed with the food or the people managing the landing. One skunk on one trip, tons of driving and only 7 BFT 20-30lbs for 30ish people, but it wasn’t their fault.
Sounds like the June 17 trip on the PQ

Upvote 0

monster1

Typical Striper owner
May 30, 2006
Long beach
Name
Monster
Boat
Yep
I'll take every skipjack you don't want. BTW, fuck the jackpot. All it does is encourage bad behavior and animosity.

Upvote 0

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
  • Apr 24, 2005
    in the Hood
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Franks ho
    Sometimes dinks rule the day.
    Most boats that don't catch shit, usually don't post a report.
    That let's you know something, without saying it.

Reactions: JK47
    Upvote 0

gerk

The GERK!
    Nov 18, 2003
    So. Bay
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Green Submarine
    Skipjack is awesome if you bleed and chill right away. You should post your specific landing and boat instead of bringing all of them down and lumping them together. Maybe your trip was a one off. It sucks but shit happens. Help others by supporting different boats
    Sorry but Skippies in no way on this planet can ever be considered "awesome" table faire. put the pipe down and get real.... Bonito is better than skippy byfar...

Upvote 0

skipjack

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Oct 20, 2004
    santa maria
    Name
    skip
    Boat
    2320 Parker "Donna Marie"
    Next time pay a little more for one of the quality limited load trips (NewLoAnn ,etc)
    The cheapest trips are cheap for a reason.

Upvote 0

JamesZ

Jun 25, 2018
    Montana
    Name
    James Zachary
    Boat
    Kenner 23
    Skipjack is awesome if you bleed and chill right away. You should post your specific landing and boat instead of bringing all of them down and lumping them together. Maybe your trip was a one off. It sucks but shit happens. Help others by supporting different boats
    That's a FACT!! I was on a 3 day on the SOA and we hit a paddy full of skippies. Majority of the guys where just popping them off at boat side. Those 12-15lb and a little larger. So couldn't bounce them really. Anyway. One of the deckhands. I could've been Lee. I'm sure he's long gone by now. Besides the point lol. ANYWAY. He said you guys should keep a few. Everyone was like no way!! Yuck etc. So he grabs ones. Fillets it. Said watch this. Went into the galley. Just a little salt and pepper. pan seared. And brought it out for them to try. (I already knew the secret) Those guys that was saying yuck etc where fighting over the last piece. It's all about taking care of them immediately after you land one. 🙂😛😛😛🤤🤤🤤

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

JamesZ

Jun 25, 2018
    Montana
    Name
    James Zachary
    Boat
    Kenner 23
    Calling millennials snowflakes and posting crap like this. :oops:
    Well. He got that part right anyway. Sounds like he's REAL new to this. Might have fished a private charter a few times. And he think's that's the way it is. Cattle boats and six packs are night and day. I'm sure you already know that. And it was probably when fishing this summer was at its peak. I've seen it all. Personally? I've been screwed a few times. There used to be a few boats that just had a bad name. (Won't mention the names. Hell, I'm sure they all have new owners now etc. So they may be incredible boats now) Anyway. Yeah, probably fished once or twice on a very expensive six pack. And thinks that's how the whole fleet is. If you want truly good food. Gotta ride with the big boys on a minimum 2-3 day trip. The longer the better. But damn. This guys got me shaking my head.

Upvote 0