Bodega Weekend 7/20-7/21

Discussion in 'Northern California Fishing Reports' started by karlk1125, Jul 22, 2013.

1. karlk1125

karlk1125 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Karl Kobler
    Boat:
    Looking for a World Cat 320 EC
    Saturday I got a late start with my dad and uncle around 11 and headed to the Whistle. We found conditions to of changed there, with the shortbellies moved inshore at 45-60ft of water and squid balls outside of the buoy. We didn't meter any concentrations of salmon and left about 2 hours later and headed to McClures. Dropped in and found massive squid marks but didn't get hit. The squid was so thick our lines would come up with 20-30 squid pinned on them. We trolled 10 mile for a few hours for nothing then came back up to the whistle for nothing. Stripped kitty!
    Sunday I ran out with 3 college buddies straight down to McClures and was surprised by a parade of boats already on their way down there. We dropped in at 0700 and immediately boxed a 17lber and had a tail hooked 25lb class fish snap the line under the flasher. I replaced the hoochie with a commercial spoon from OPS right after to give me time to re-rig and 3 fish back to back to back jump on the spoon. Within an hour we have 4 fish in the box. The bite slowed down a bit but we put 2 more fish in the box within the next hour and a half with a possibly legal fish I shook off in the water, drive by and a LDR. The bite slowed shut off for us after that so we left at 11 to go to chase some bottom fish. All those fish were between 17-24lbs. Purple haze hoochies behind slingblades and hot spots were hot again, as well as chrome commercial spoons. Hot OTW was 50ft. From what I saw this was a completely different school of fish from whats been hanging around bodega lately. These were very long, lean fish as the 24lber was 37inches long. All the salmon I had been catching in bodega lately had been SUPER fat and very heavy for their length, therefore I think those whistle fish have moved north, while a new school is making its way up from the south. All the fish were stuffed with squid as well. I also saw the new salmon queen working a bit south of the fleet...long run Shim!

2. stella marina

stella marina Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    Parker 2320, 16 Klamath cc, 10 ft Livingston "bass slayer"
    way to go Karl. It seems you've nailed them lately. we got ourselves some nice fish over the weekend, it was pretty hot down here in S.C. the fish were also nice quality. someone got a 44lber. when are the tuna gonna show? I'm getting anxious.
    keep slaying those pigs.

3. karlk1125

karlk1125 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Karl Kobler
    Boat:
    Looking for a World Cat 320 EC
    Its been an epic 3 weeks up here andrew! I've hooked a few pigs but theyve all found a way to spit the hook. Its seemed like the bite is finally picking up a bit for you guys! I'm amazed how the fish were never in the bay in force like they were last year.
    I think that tuna water is by the davidson. It looked like something was pushing in there a few weeks ago and we havnt had a solid SST for like 2 weeks. Since its really been pretty calm down this way I wouldnt be surprised if that water off of Davidson has kept pushing in. Have you heard of any scouting missions recently?