Boccaccio: Trash Fish or Not?

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Azarkon, Apr 26, 2017.

1. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    Anyone who has fished for awhile has come across parasites of many types..
    Inshore or offshore(ever look in a makos mouth, it looks like a swamp in there) it don't matter parasites are just part of the deal... remember that next time you chant "eat the heart!eat the heart !....

Blackfish likes this.
  2. BornFisher

BornFisher Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bill Fisher
    Boat:
    18' Bayliner Trophy, cuddy
    Hate it when a big calico has worms!!

3. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    The jigs are out..team 1 your up!!

4. watersdeep

watersdeep I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jed Venture
    Boat:
    the twisted ducker
    Back in the day people did not eat BFT. (horse mackerel)why eat that when they could have black/white sea bass and calico

Same thing with salmon grouper why eat thoses when they can have reds or chillies and other good and less wormy rock fish.

I think i comes from the old school way of life when bags were easyer to fill with the goods

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    matta57 likes this.
  5. matta57

matta57 hack

Name:
    matt
    Boat:
    none
    lobster used to be on the shit list as well. tastes change. that being said, Bocaccio are my least favorite rockfish, deep fry only!
    I think Bankies are the best rockfish.

6. marlyn

marlyn I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    mark
    Boat:
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    I am glad to see some of you like boccacio because I'm putting mine in your bag!

7. FakeDuaneDiego

FakeDuaneDiego Member

Name:
    D
    Boat:
    N/a
    When I was new to rockfishing I had a blind side by side taste test of almost all rockfish species. Made the test so that I had no predetermined judgements before tasting the meat of the fish. Boccacio and Johnny Bass were the two worse meats. Haven't kept them since. Maybe just my taste buds, but I give them away.

marlyn likes this.
  8. Phat Boat

Phat Boat I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    Grady White Marlin 300
    Salmon stinkers? No thanks.

9. lethalinjection

lethalinjection Newbie

Name:
    PAUL
    Boat:
    SKIPJACK 24
    Most of the yacht clubs have a bottom fishing tournament. The sw club was normally won with a boccaccio pushing 14 lbs. That was before depth restrictions, we would fish 650 750 ft. For fish of that size. As far as eating, their ok fresh and fried as fish tacos,but i agree give me the reds.

10. Superfecta

Superfecta Superfecta

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    33 Grady White, Papa Says
    I went to Catalina yesterday. We fished the backside for some calicos, sheapshead, etc. The dogs were killing us so we tried some east end rock fishing spots. I havent been rock fishing for about 15 years. We caught a copper, vermillion and bocaccio.

I filleted the copper and vermillion. I gutted the bocaccio. I used to fry the bocaccio whole and throw an asian style garlic, soy, pepper, vinegar sauce on top ala Chinois style.

Tonight (one day later) I opened the bag with bocaccio and my wife went beserk. She said it smelled so bad and went rotten. I knew it cared for it perfectly and couldnt be the case. So I powered on. I dredged in flour like I did 15 years ago, and fried it, and threw the sauce on. My family abandoned me on eating it (made fish tacos with the others). It was fried fish, how bad can it be...

But after dinner I was a little nervous, and googled "stinky boaccaio" and this thread appeared.

If I die tomorrow, that would be bad. But if I dont, I would eat them again...

11. watersdeep

watersdeep I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jed Venture
    Boat:
    the twisted ducker
    you’re a gonner!

12. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Ah ship

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In my Dream's
    Honest I like them because they put up a fight when there is nothing else biting

13. Paulo Grandez

Paulo Grandez Member

Name:
    Paulo
    Boat:
    N/A
    Wow what a coincidence I made fish n chips yesterday with a bunch of salmon grouper(beer batter/pancake mix) that I caught last week on the new Del Mar at about 180'

The fish was in the freezer for 5 days in the fridge for 1 day to thaw. I didn't get any complaints on the fish and I didn't see any worms.

BTW I always have the deckhands fillet my fish and I rinse and dry them when I get home and then put them in the freezer and I do that with all my fish whether it be Rockfish The Three B's or Yellow Tail

14. MYNomad

MYNomad Heading South

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Yes
    What kind of comment is that? Maybe I am missing something, but I find it offense and I bet others do too.

JoshInSD likes this.
  15. MATTANZA

MATTANZA old man of the sea, in training.

Name:
    RICK
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
    slimy , smelly, wormy, but taste ok......

16. sushimi

sushimi Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Sam
    Boat:
    Edgewater 175
    I believe the stink comes from the skin. Also the worms are definitely more present in the bigger models. Salmon grouper whi h is not a salmon nor a grouper has a slightly acidic-metallic taste that seems to linger in the upper layer of the palette. Not very pleasant nor memorable. Having said that friends dont let friends eat salmon grouper but I certainly dont mind passing them off to my unfriendly neighbors.

17. ShadowX

ShadowX I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    None
    Trick to making salmon groupers half way decent is to ice them down right away and to bleed them. It takes a lot of the stink away. When you eat them, make sure you fillet and remove the skins. I personally don't eat them, but did notice the stink is a lot less when its been bled and the fish was ice down immediately. If you're in a cattle boat and leave the fish in a gunny sack, you might as well toss them out. The sun will bake the fish and you get all the extra flavor of the fish on your other catch. When I clean my fish, I clean the groupers last because of the stink. If you gut them right away after the fish is dead, it helps reduce the stink too.

Honestly, friends don't let friends eat groupers.

18. jimm

jimm Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    none
    Don't get me wrong, I would rather catch reds and chuckles. Over the 40 years I have been rock cod fishing, I guarantee you I have eaten dozens of pounds of Boccaccio and I would eat one today.

Paulo Grandez and SouthBayKiller like this.
  19. Trayscool

Trayscool Captain

Name:
    Travis
    Boat:
    NO BOATS
    Hot garbage. I don’t know why you would even think about keeping when there are so many better options

nefarious235 likes this.