Boccaccio: Trash Fish or Not?

4Bigeye2na

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 7, 2015
Name
Ed
Boat
Searay
Concur with the shallow water grouper tended to be wormy. Deep water never really had a problem.

skipjack

Oct 20, 2004
santa maria
Name
skip
Boat
2320 Parker "Donna Marie"
I call them worm hotels. The bigger they are,the more worms.

Jigslinger

Fishing is an incurable disease
Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, CA
Name
Greg
Boat
Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
Worms depend on where you catch them. Shallower sandy bottom areas have worms. Catch them at the outer islands in deeper cold water and you will see no worms and you would be hard pressed to tell them from vermillions in a blind taste test. I have seen this done.
This is not always true. The one mentioned in my post was caught in 300ft+ water. From my experience this fish has a higher chance of worms than other rockfish regardless of where they're caught. Better safe than sorry for me.

aznboy619

Not a Newbie
Apr 25, 2006
Alhambra
Name
Victor
Boat
None
The worms can be picked out under a light with a clear pixie glass on top of the light fixture. We do it all the time in Alaska when pacific cod is caught. Those things are wormier then those boc.

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
There are still many people down here who wouldn't keep them.

Although I do think the general attitude has changed, as most reports these days show people keeping them.
Yeah, for their rose garden, They make great fertilizer.

Reactions: marlyn

phillyblunt

Jun 10, 2005
SD
Name
Philip
Boat
EVEN KEEL
Never had a problem, or anyone i know getting sick off of them 30+ years.
Swordfish have worms too, you gonna stop eating those?

fishkilr

.better to be a has-been than a never-was..
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
Anyone who has fished for awhile has come across parasites of many types..
Inshore or offshore(ever look in a makos mouth, it looks like a swamp in there) it don't matter parasites are just part of the deal... remember that next time you chant "eat the heart!eat the heart !....

Reactions: Blackfish

watersdeep

Jan 19, 2016
LB
Name
Jed Venture
Boat
the twisted ducker
Back in the day people did not eat BFT. (horse mackerel)why eat that when they could have black/white sea bass and calico

Same thing with salmon grouper why eat thoses when they can have reds or chillies and other good and less wormy rock fish.

I think i comes from the old school way of life when bags were easyer to fill with the goods

Last edited:
Reactions: matta57

matta57

hack
May 30, 2010
goleta
Name
matt
Boat
none
lobster used to be on the shit list as well. tastes change. that being said, Bocaccio are my least favorite rockfish, deep fry only!
I think Bankies are the best rockfish.

FakeDuaneDiego

Jun 20, 2016
Burbank
Name
D
Boat
N/a
When I was new to rockfishing I had a blind side by side taste test of almost all rockfish species. Made the test so that I had no predetermined judgements before tasting the meat of the fish. Boccacio and Johnny Bass were the two worse meats. Haven't kept them since. Maybe just my taste buds, but I give them away.

Reactions: marlyn

Phat Boat

Apr 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jon
Boat
Grady White Marlin 300
Salmon stinkers? No thanks.

lethalinjection

Jul 5, 2006
SAN DIEGO
Name
PAUL
Boat
SKIPJACK 24
Most of the yacht clubs have a bottom fishing tournament. The sw club was normally won with a boccaccio pushing 14 lbs. That was before depth restrictions, we would fish 650 750 ft. For fish of that size. As far as eating, their ok fresh and fried as fish tacos,but i agree give me the reds.

Superfecta

Superfecta
Oct 6, 2004
Los Angeles
Name
Matt
Boat
33 Grady White, Papa Says
I went to Catalina yesterday. We fished the backside for some calicos, sheapshead, etc. The dogs were killing us so we tried some east end rock fishing spots. I havent been rock fishing for about 15 years. We caught a copper, vermillion and bocaccio.

I filleted the copper and vermillion. I gutted the bocaccio. I used to fry the bocaccio whole and throw an asian style garlic, soy, pepper, vinegar sauce on top ala Chinois style.

Tonight (one day later) I opened the bag with bocaccio and my wife went beserk. She said it smelled so bad and went rotten. I knew it cared for it perfectly and couldnt be the case. So I powered on. I dredged in flour like I did 15 years ago, and fried it, and threw the sauce on. My family abandoned me on eating it (made fish tacos with the others). It was fried fish, how bad can it be...

But after dinner I was a little nervous, and googled "stinky boaccaio" and this thread appeared.

If I die tomorrow, that would be bad. But if I dont, I would eat them again...