Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
Very oily and fishy. Not good at all imo. Unsightly fish. Looks like it’s already been dead awhile. Plus not sure you can keep them anymore unless the rules changed back. They’re a deep water species only.

Tough to descend too. 20+lbs and a mouth the size of a 5 gallon bucket.

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
Jun 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Name
Frank
Boat
no
I've eaten them before...but the last time I kept a few, I filleted them and they all had some nasty worms in the stomach lining and embedded in the flesh. so into the trash they went. I like my neighbors enough that I won't give those to them. I caught a decent one the other day...just gave it away on the boat even though it was bigger then some of the reds.

FishPimpII

Repowering the boat..
Jul 27, 2009
Seattle, Wa
Name
Jeff Nelson
Boat
255 conquest... needs a name
Years ago the the Makah’s told me they called those fish “ neighbor fish”. I asked them why? They said they’re not good eating and that’s the fish they give to their neighbors True story. I never tried one after hearing that!
I was told the same story... come to think of it I have some neighbors that might need a little slime cod.

Reactions: Odin7 and TimeZoned

WSU

Almost A Member
Jun 19, 2012
unknown
Name
unknown
Boat
none
I’ve only kept a few but they tasted like other rock fish to me. Like said above, the meat was white and flaky. I couldn’t tell the difference and there were no worms.

DaKanati

Captain
Mar 17, 2009
belfair,washington
Name
Josh
Boat
272 Sailfish "ManCave"
Kept a few big ones years ago and they weren't bad. Don't remember them being any more wormier than any of the other rock fish. We made fish tacos out of them and the kids wolfed it down!

Cohoho

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 19, 2010
Lake Tapps, Washington
Name
Cohoho
Boat
COHOHO - 23 ft Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore - SOLD
We threw them back, but a piggy to get back down...

9B894E86-75C3-4D62-9D2B-E5D59ED016EF.jpeg