Boca Grande and inward tackle recomendations

Oct 25, 2018
Renton
Name
Anders
Boat
North River Seahawk
So my old man just retired and moved from Seattle down to Port Charlotte. He bought a house on one of the small canals leading out to the Peace River.
He has a smaller 21 ft Key West that is mainly a cruising boat, but he does enjoy doing a little fishing. His birthday is coming up and I was hoping to put together a package of good tackle for fishing that general area. Not looking to go after goliath grouper or tarpon.
Smaller fish he could fish with spin gear outfit. I'm completely ignorant to fishing down there, as all I do is fish out of washington for salmon, halibut, lingcod, etc.
Any recommendations on things I could put together to help get him started down there would be great.
Thanks all and tight lines

SeaDawg

Grouper Hunter
Mar 18, 2003
Key West
Name
Harry
Boat
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
Wow, I don't do a lot of that type of fishing but for a spinning outfit a Daiwa Black & Gold reel seems pretty popular down here with small hooks, jigheads, and light leader (20lb test) and a decent rod. Egg sinkers and circle hooks! A copy of the Florida Fishing Regs and his lawyers phone number (common joke down here because the regs are so ridiculously complicated). I went and did a little google search and found this article,

not a bad read. Pretty basic stuff, but all he needs really.

Maybe a Pin Fish Trap, Pin Fish are a very common bait in Florida, small little bait fish, you just put a baited trap in the water some place and they come right in.

Of course you can catch Pin Fish with a Sabiki rig as well.

Learning the different kinds of Snapper is a bitch at first, there are so many in shallow water, they are pretty much all similar, but they all have different regs.

Attachments

SeaDawg

Grouper Hunter
Mar 18, 2003
Key West
Name
Harry
Boat
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
Read the regs, I think Circle Hooks are a must legally in most areas of Florida, not all, but you have to know where you are fishing.

Oct 25, 2018
Renton
Name
Anders
Boat
North River Seahawk
thanks for all the info!
what's funny is everyone up here says the same things about fishing regs...different every year, and they do emergency closures at the drop of a hat..hard to stay on top of it all