Bob Sands or RP knot?

Abaco

Aug 5, 2009
Sacramento
Name
Dave
Boat
The Organ
After a 2-year break I'm finally getting back out on a trip on the RP in September. Can't wait! Before I get out I like to sit by the pool and practice my knots. In years past I experimented with a few different knots on splicing fluorocarbon to braid. I had some success with the Bob Sands. I'm curious what works well for you. I think I had some failures with the RP knot. But, it's been a couple years so I could be mistaken. What do you suggest/use? Thanks much.

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Hi Dave...
A lot of info here on the FG knot. It is second best to the PR knot in strength but quick to make and smaller profile. It goes through the guides very well.

Reactions: dh515

pmurphy

Jan 8, 2007
Tucson, Arizona
Name
Pat
Boat
Hobie kayak
I use the RP knot because it's simple and I understand it. I had a failure with it one time, and on a recent trip on the RP I was told by several people that I have been tying it with too many turns, which makes it impossible to cinch all of them down tightly.

Five turns up and five turns back. Cinch it incredibly tightly. I use gloves to tie it. Some people use hardwood dowels. The line will cut through soft wood dowels under the sort of tension necessary to tighten the knot.

Reactions: bbuck

Reel 007

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
Have been using the Bob Sands for years, never had a one fail.

Abaco

Aug 5, 2009
Sacramento
Name
Dave
Boat
The Organ
Thanks so much, guys. I remember the Bob Sands being somewhat more involved, but strong as hell.

muymacho74

Surface Iron Maniac
Jul 23, 2014
San Fernando Valley
Name
Phillip
Boat
America Angler
Never had a Bob Sands fail me in many many years, and I’ve used it on everything from #15 on up to #100.

Reactions: kimbo and locvetter

Rodless_Jim

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
I used the Pena (basically a Bob Sands) for years and years with no failures. Recently became a convert to the FG. While I totally respect those who use the RP (Reverse Albright), I've seen it fail too many times. Even though I tie a very sano RP, I've never used one on the water, and never will.

If you have the time and feel the motivation, I recommend learning the FG. If not, you're already golden with the Bob Sands.

ZZZZZ

natural born jig slingers
Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica. SD, Old Del Mar
Name
Boat
Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
Imo, A well known properly tied knot does not fail. User error. Something else should give before a sano knot busts, including hanging the bottom while drifting. Should break above the dropper loops. The clock ticking is not the knot, its all the other sheet that can go wrong. Abrasion should cause weakening and breakage before the knot busts. If your knot busts quickly that's a good opportunity to ponder, why did it break.