ShiverMeTimbersPNW

Almost A Member
Sep 4, 2017
Gig Harbor, Washington
Name
Woody
Boat
Duckworth XL 30
So just sit there and let it sink and then spend the rest of your life floating in the same icy water till hypothermia kills you?

If it sinks your going in the water regardless right? I mean unless you got a buddy boat right there.

I dont know what you guys are talking about. Yes the saltwater here is cold but I see people swimming in it and i have too. It's pretty dsmn cold and I couldn't swim for hours but you aren't instantly paralyzed.

Adrenaline can make people do things they otherwise couldn't do. Captain Decent makes a good point. The counter to that is you might freeze up, or get cold shock and inhale a bunch of water, so best to at least be tied to a rope and a crew member manning the rope.

Since me, my wife, and our kid all surf, I carry our wetsuits as part of our safety gear when we fish out of Westport. I realize not everyone is going to purchase a 5/4 wetsuit, but it will certainly expand your survival window.

Upvote 0

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
Yep a wetsuit would extend your time in the water. Better than nothing.

But....When demonstrating drills to the CG or demonstrating to a "Class" inspector even though it isn't a requirement they want you to try to hit the 60 second mark climbing into a survival suit.

Reactions: tacklejacked
Upvote 0

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
Jun 2, 2009
Seabeck
Name
Greg
Boat
22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
Guess it boils down to if you need to risk your ass to save your boat which equates to saving your crew then go for it ..I would rather go to the bottom than any one of my crew.

But if you can safely save your crew and yourself without risking your ass than that seems like the smart move.

I have ditch bags and a ton of other gear. No raft. I can live in cold water for a long time just floating....but if I go in trying to save my boat and can't I've pretty much rendered myself useless and possibly in need of assistance. Putting the crew at risk .... I've pulled allot of people from the water over the years that thought they could do something...

Reactions: Tish
Tish
Tish
Reading your last paragraph reminds me of a "golden rule" they drilled into us when training in wilderness search and rescue: "don't become a second victim"
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
Everyone has a great point as usual on this board. I used to swim at Ocean shores, Puget Sound all the time...never bothered me that much, but one time I definitely got hypothermia, and my judgement was VERY impaired. I ran 1 mile down the beach, and back up the beach, to get to a house that was 100yds away.

Just a thought if you're going in, and stay too long in, or get slammed in the head by your pitching boat....better have a good crew that can take over if you're in lala land....

Every scenario calls for a different action....there is no "right" answer, just instincts for what we hope is the "right" call at the time....

Reactions: Captain Decent
Upvote 0

T2352

Aug 20, 2009
spokane wa.
Name
B
Boat
2352 Trophy
I know this is old but was there ever a report as to what actually caused this boat to take on water or did they never retrieve the boat back to shore?

Curious, does the CG typically tow these back to the marina or just leave them out there?

TheWoman
TheWoman
Heard some chatter on the radio a couple weeks ago that sounded like the boat sunk due to a “faulty scupper”. Someone did recover it/raise it and Osprey was recalling boats to repair the issue. I cant be 100% sure it was the same boat owner that we were hearing on the VHF, but it was definitely a discussion of a recently sunk Osprey, so you do the math.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
When I was spec'ing my semi-custom boat, I considered crash pumps (sometimes called trash pumps, but I cannot understand why) but decided against after realizing that the chances of crash pumps making a difference (let alone being needed in the first place) was extremely remote.

Although I have a few sets of goggles (and wet suits) on board, if my boat was sinking, I wouldn't expect to attempt an overboard inspection, let alone repair. In that circumstance, the safest thing to do will be to deploy the life raft and get everyone, and a ditch bag, into it safely.

Upvote 0

FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
  • Feb 27, 2012
    The Salt
    Name
    Rod
    Boat
    22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
    Hmmm, I think I’ll get some toilet bowl wax! My two front thruhulls are accessible from inside, the two back ones are all the way in the back, I would not have to go under the boat to access them easily from the water at the back of the boat, seems pretty doable.

The back ones are not easily accessible from inside, I’d have to take the large hatch off in front of the motors which probably isn’t advisable if the stern is down, plus you can reach the valve handles but the actual hull is just out of reach so you couldn’t plug a hole anyway.

Upvote 0

T2352

Aug 20, 2009
    spokane wa.
    Name
    B
    Boat
    2352 Trophy
    I sorta get the scupper theory but aren't the scuppers on the outboard Osprey boats above water line as well as don't they run out the side?

Just a WAG but I was kinda thinking it was more of a through hull hose/fitting issue that filled it up below/under the deck area/transom. Again, just a WAG but knowing what actually happened is always good so others know what to be watchful of regardless of brand or type of boat.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Joe Champeaux, Lila Rae. He is the Commodore of the VFW. He had 4 friends onboard. i called him on the cell when i heard his mayday. No answer.

I was on my way and was monitoring VHF 16. It was harrowing to it. when the CG motor lifeboat radio'd to F/V Juno they were 8 minutes out and could they pass their Honda dewatering pump to them and the Juno captain said "she is fully underwater" my heart sank.

Cormorant radiod they had taken all passengers onboard safely and was waiting for USCG MLB to arrive on station.

I radiod cormorant thanking them for their assistance and rescue that saved 5 lives. Asked them to tell Joe We were on our way and grateful cormorant was on site.

I got a call from Joe a couple minutes later. He was distressed, as would be expected. He wasn't sure he could ever go on a boat again. He didn't know what happened. Boat was in marina for 6 weeks. no issues. regular maintenance. checks bilge.

He said they were going along and the ass end got suddenly heavy. He looked back To the motors submerging. He called CG couldn't find source of water intrusion.

A good man. A stellar boater. if you are in town, you can stop by the VFW and let him know you are glad he is safe. The VFW has sobers on Friday and Saturday nights if you are in town. They post their menus on Facebook, VFW 3057. That is their fundraisers to keep the lights on and the doors open.

Grateful all are safe.
    GOOD JOB CALLING IN COAST GUARD

Upvote 0