G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    Noone said it would be easy but you have to give yourself a chance. And if your life depends on it you can do amazing things. You can either jump in the water and try to fix the leak or you're going in the water regardless a few min later when the boat sinks.

Typically theres only a couple failure points on the bottom and the are usually pretty robust: bronze thru hull with a sea cock valve. Not a common failure. The plastic thru hulls near or below the water line along the sides and transom are more likely and all could be accessed without driving. Next would be transom cracks and failures. These could be smeared with wax to stop or slow water flow.
    Bronze seacocks are a more common failure than you may realize…. An improperly bonded boat in a hot harbor, those robust seacocks turn bright red and crumble like a cookie!

I personally as a diver since 1989 know how that water feels on my melon. Instant headache without a good.. It’s not easy to function, see and do things. Your time would be better spent preparing from the inside or deploying safety gear if sinking is inevitable…. A crack can be filled from the inside with a screwdriver and rags, if the bees wax won’t hold…

I don’t dive up here because it just isn’t as enjoyable as warm water diving…

Reactions: ShiverMeTimbersPNW
    Upvote 0

jasper hickman

Team RED BEARD
    Dec 23, 2014
    Everett
    Name
    jasper
    Boat
    30’ Osprey
    I’ve been carrying a wetsuit/hood/mask in my ditch kit, also I’ve been under many boats/tugs/yachts. If it needed to be done off shore I think I would have a pretty good shot a dramatically improving the situation.

I think you would be better off with just a hood then a wetsuit if you had to pick one. I’ve done some short dives in Neah that way. Without a hood that task would be absolutely brutal.

crossing the bar, or in some nasty conditions, I don’t think a guy is jumping in the water and fixing shit.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    I’ve been carrying a wetsuit/hood/mask in my ditch kit, also I’ve been under many boats/tugs/yachts. If it needed to be done off shore I think I would have a pretty good shot a dramatically improving the situation.

I think you would be better off with just a hood then a wetsuit if you had to pick one. I’ve done some short dives in Neah that way. Without a hood that task would be absolutely brutal.

crossing the bar, or in some nasty conditions, I don’t think a guy is jumping in the water and fixing shit.
    The hood is critical…. I don’t think people understand the headache that comes on so bad, so fast! You obviously do!

Upvote 0

sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Feb 21, 2011
    Redmond/WA/USA
    Name
    Stephen
    Boat
    'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
    I like the hood idea instead of carrying the whole suit. If you put on a 7mm wetsuit you would also need a weightbelt or you are not getting under the water.

I tried a dive once without my hood because I had forgotten it. I made it down thirty feet and came back up within minutes and vowed never again. My father-in-law was a Submarine diver who has stories of diving the puget sound without a hood to spear lingcod for the crew's dinner. He is obviously made of tougher stuff than I.

Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
    Aug 11, 2019
    PNW
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
    I'm curious about the headache in cold water without a hood. I've been spear fishing in the straights for a couple hours before. I get cold but I've never had a debilitating headache. Is that a common thing?

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    I'm curious about the headache in cold water without a hood. I've been spear fishing in the straights for a couple hours before. I get cold but I've never had a debilitating headache. Is that a common thing?
    Very common… maybe you’re Superman… jump in 55 degree water with no hood, and the cold can really cause an almost instant headache… nearly debilitating, but you could probably power through if needed…. it is definitely a brain freeze and not comfortable..

The point is more about a non diver thinking if he without experience and practice is going to jump in a semi to rough ocean and dive under a vessel and be able to actually function..

I’m doubtful of your “couple hours”

Reactions: ShiverMeTimbersPNW
    Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Probably should impress the crowd with your recurve abilities and not be stupid with Superman dive capabilities.. 😜

Reactions: Hard Chargin'
    Hard Chargin'
    Hard Chargin'
    I'm absolutely nothing special with a recurve. I think the only reason my success rate has increased is because I don't hesitate and because my recurve weighs nothing I put on more miles and don't rest as much.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
    Aug 11, 2019
    PNW
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
    Very common… maybe you’re Superman… jump in 55 degree water with no hood, and the cold can really cause an almost instant headache… nearly debilitating, but you could probably power through if needed…. it is definitely a brain freeze and not comfortable..

The point is more about a non diver thinking if he without experience and practice is going to jump in a semi to rough ocean and dive under a vessel and be able to actually function..

I’m doubtful of your “couple hours”

I wasn't downplaying it at all. I'm not superman and I wasn't bragging It's definitely rough I just have never got a headache. I know what 50 degree water is like and I have been snorkeling and spear fishing for over 2 hours before. I know because everyone else bailed out on me and kept bitching about how long they were waiting for me to finish.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    I wasn't downplaying it at all. I'm not superman and I wasn't bragging It's definitely rough I just have never got a headache. I know what 50 degree water is like and I have been snorkeling and spear fishing for over 2 hours before. I know because everyone else bailed out on me and kept bitching about how long they were waiting for me to finish.
    As an engineer type you obviously know the truth and already possess the knowledge of a cold head, so acting stupid and asking the question as if it wasn’t a real thing is just plain stupid in my opinion… then you solidify my opinion by confirming that everybody you were with was out! So as I stated above…. I press use with recourse abilities and don’t act stupid… as you are not… 🖕😀

Upvote 0

jasper hickman

Team RED BEARD
    Dec 23, 2014
    Everett
    Name
    jasper
    Boat
    30’ Osprey
    Haven’t you all heard of the Wim Hoff breathing techniques?? No big deal😂😂😂
    I like the hood idea instead of carrying the whole suit. If you put on a 7mm wetsuit you would also need a weightbelt or you are not getting under the water.

I tried a dive once without my hood because I had forgotten it. I made it down thirty feet and came back up within minutes and vowed never again. My father-in-law was a Submarine diver who has stories of diving the puget sound without a hood to spear lingcod for the crew's dinner. He is obviously made of tougher stuff than I.

I’ve got a funny story that backs up your father in law @sgwill122 , I was on a dive trip to Cambell river BC some years backs. There was a guy on the trip I have not met before, his name was Dave and he was a navy diver and specifically dove on submarines often.

Well this dude shows up with just a 7mill wetsuit jacket, no dry suit, no farmer John.... just a wetsuit jacket. I’m thinking he obviously forgot the rest of his suit but when I brought it up he said...nope, I just dive the jacket.

I thought no fucking way this guy is really just going to run a jacket all week, but no shit all week, 2 tank dives per day, this guy dove just a wetsuit jacket. I’ll never forget the sight of pale white legs swimming around BC 😂😂.

Now, this guy plowed through an alm 80 tank in about 15 minutes, so there is the other hand of diving while hypothermic.

Upvote 0

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
    Mar 4, 2009
    Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
    Back in my surfing days...1970's, idiots that we were we thought hoods would mess up your balance...dumb, dumb, dumb. I thought the proper term was what we called them. "Ice Cream Headache". Got um paddling out when a wave crashed over your head. Winter time mostly.

Reactions: G-Spot

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Haven’t you all heard of the Wim Hoff breathing techniques?? No big deal😂😂😂

I’ve got a funny story that backs up your father in law @sgwill122 , I was on a dive trip to Cambell river BC some years backs. There was a guy on the trip I have not met before, his name was Dave and he was a navy diver and specifically dove on submarines often.

Well this dude shows up with just a 7mill wetsuit jacket, no dry suit, no farmer John.... just a wetsuit jacket. I’m thinking he obviously forgot the rest of his suit but when I brought it up he said...nope, I just dive the jacket.

I thought no fucking way this guy is really just going to run a jacket all week, but no shit all week, 2 tank dives per day, this guy dove just a wetsuit jacket. I’ll never forget the sight of pale white legs swimming around BC 😂😂.

Now, this guy plowed through an alm 80 tank in about 15 minutes, so there is the other hand of diving while hypothermic.
    That says it.. 15 minutes for a tank… that’s a cold as hypothermic air hog.. 😳

Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
    Aug 11, 2019
    PNW
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
    As an engineer type you obviously know the truth and already possess the knowledge of a cold head, so acting stupid and asking the question as if it wasn’t a real thing is just plain stupid in my opinion… then you solidify my opinion by confirming that everybody you were with was out! So as I stated above…. I press use with recourse abilities and don’t act stupid… as you are not… 🖕😀

I believe late Sept was the last time I was snorkeling so maybe I'm just remembering things way wrong. I will report back next time I go and I am prepared to eat crow. But damn I just don't recall getting brain freezes. Maybe they were so bad I just don't remember 😂😂

Upvote 0

ShiverMeTimbersPNW

Almost A Member
    Sep 4, 2017
    Gig Harbor, Washington
    Name
    Woody
    Boat
    Duckworth XL 30
    Back in my surfing days...1970's, idiots that we were we thought hoods would mess ce Cream Headache". Got um paddling out when a wave crashed over your head. Winter time mostly.

When I lived/worked/surfed in San Diego, I would get ice cream headache any time I duck dove in water less than 58, which happens often in the winter. I'm bald tho. Having even a 1/2" of hair makes a big difference.

Having lived up here for almost a decade I've finally acclimated. I was surfing Elwha rivermouth this spring with my hood off and was fine. Now I just need to be careful of getting surfer's ear.

Reactions: G-Spot
    Upvote 0
    Oct 29, 2013
    Anacortes
    Name
    Curt
    Boat
    Duck, Duck, Goose
    It's called brain freeze. Most of us lack the required equipment.

Upvote 0

Patmidd

• Feb 10, 2021
    Sausalito
    Name
    Patrick
    Boat
    14’ gregor
    Glad everyone is ok..glad it happened close as opposed to the 125. Glad people where willing to help.

Quick fix gear is awesome, everyone should have it....

But in reality, honest perception...anyone practiced trying to fix a thru Hull leak in the ocean..you take on water, can't find it via access hatch's, you jumping in 56 degree water with the boat listing and rocking..? Outboards or outdrives aren't forgiving to your nugget. You've got about ten minutes before you loose motor function...

I dunno. Maybe we need a different thread...seems like a good topic to brainstorm.
    I really don't think anyone who hasn't trained recently has any business jumping into the water to try to fix this. I swam with the South End Rowing Club in San Francisco for years. I've done hundreds of wetsuit free swims in temps from 65 down to 49 degrees.

When you jump in your chest is going to seize up and you have to force yourself to breathe. It is so cold it feels hot. It's full panic for about 30 seconds. That was the way I felt after I had trained for this.

I doubt your average fisherman is a trained cold water swimmer.

Use your time to find a life jacket.

Upvote 0

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
    Nov 2, 2017
    Covington, wa
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
    I really don't think anyone who hasn't trained recently has any business jumping into the water to try to fix this. I swam with the South End Rowing Club in San Francisco for years. I've done hundreds of wetsuit free swims in temps from 65 down to 49 degrees.

When you jump in your chest is going to seize up and you have to force yourself to breathe. It is so cold it feels hot. It's full panic for about 30 seconds. That was the way I felt after I had trained for this.

I doubt your average fisherman is a trained cold water swimmer.

Use your time to find a life jacket.
    So just sit there and let it sink and then spend the rest of your life floating in the same icy water till hypothermia kills you?

If it sinks your going in the water regardless right? I mean unless you got a buddy boat right there.

I dont know what you guys are talking about. Yes the saltwater here is cold but I see people swimming in it and i have too. It's pretty dsmn cold and I couldn't swim for hours but you aren't instantly paralyzed.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    So just sit there and let it sink and then spend the rest of your life floating in the same icy water till hypothermia kills you?

If it sinks your going in the water regardless right? I mean unless you got a buddy boat right there.

I dont know what you guys are talking about. Yes the saltwater here is cold but I see people swimming in it and i have too. It's pretty dsmn cold and I couldn't swim for hours but you aren't instantly paralyzed.
    Bro…. No none has said just sit there and let it sink and wait…. There are many things to stop leaks and bailing that can occur to save the vessel and prepare for a possible sinking.

I would encourage you to try it… there is something much different than splashing around on the beach and completely submerging your head and trying to patch something. It would also be different in 60+ water versus 55- water…. It is definitely possible and I am sure some could and can do it. I would probably try different steps from inside the boat.

I bobbled for an hour and 10 minutes without my head being under for more than the 30 seconds to swim up out of the cabin… My body temp got down to 95… I was fucking cold and could not stop shivering…. They warmed my happy ass up with a heat blower and warm blankets. I think of you are able to make a mayday call and gather safety gear the less time in the water the better…

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Chasin' Tail

~Jumpers!!~ <*)))><
    Aug 10, 2008
    Lacey WA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    17' Thor-Built Sled, 27' NorthRiver OS
    Im personally not gonna mess around with silly puddy or flex seal trying to fish around my bilge looking for leaks if my ass end is filling with water..
    My happy ass is gonna pop the cork on my liferaft, jump in it and sit in a ball with the other 3 guys on my boat. Then we are gonna play bobber and make a few cell or vhf calls.... lastly, watch as my beautiful boat turtles, take pics for the insurance company and to post on here so you can all tell me what you would have done different... sometime thereafter, I'll call my insurance and wait for a check.

Upvote 0

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
    Mar 4, 2009
    Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
    They warmed my happy ass up with a heat blower and warm blankets. I think of you are able to make a mayday call and gather safety gear the less time in the water the better…

Huh....I'll be darned. We've been trained, on board one of the better ways to warm a person is to get naked and snuggle up skin to skin. I take it no one wanted to get cozy with you. :D :D

On a serious note. I've understood from some of the classes I've had, right or wrong but this is what an instructor taught. Supposedly the body tries to protect its core thus starts shutting down its extremities. When you take a hyperthermic person, toss them into a hot shower the body basically thinks all is good, opens up, cold blood flows to the heart resulting in a dead person.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Huh....I'll be darned. We've been trained, on board one of the better ways to warm a person is to get naked and snuggle up skin to skin. I take it no one wanted to get cozy with you. :D :D

On a serious note. I've understood from some of the classes I've had, right or wrong but this is what an instructor taught. Supposedly the body tries to protect its core thus starts shutting down its extremities. When you take a hyperthermic person, toss them into a hot shower the body basically thinks all is good, opens up, cold blood flows to the heart resulting in a dead person.
    In the army they taught us the same thing… Or if your buddy has frost bit feet to put them on your abdomen, to warm them.

The reason they don’t use other methods when in a field environment is because they typically don’t have them. Not sure how cold you would need to be to have a warm short result in a dead person, but if your core temp is 95, that is the temp of the blood already flowing through your heart, the blood never stops flowing throughout your extremities..

I was flown to the hospital and they have a big air mattress full of holes on top that has warm air blowing through it and warms the whole body consistently and evenly, and then they toss warm blankets on top of you, so it would be like a giant warm snuggle.. 😜

Upvote 0

mrfish11

"Just a captain"
  • Aug 3, 2009
    Olympia,WA
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Parker 2320, 17x60 Willies
    Im personally not gonna mess around with silly puddy or flex seal trying to fish around my bilge looking for leaks if my ass end is filling with water..
    My happy ass is gonna pop the cork on my liferaft, jump in it and sit in a ball with the other 3 guys on my boat. Then we are gonna play bobber and make a few cell or vhf calls.... lastly, watch as my beautiful boat turtles, take pics for the insurance company and to post on here so you can all tell me what you would have done different... sometime thereafter, I'll call my insurance and wait for a check.

I will be there in no time ready to scoop your happy ass up and I promise not to talk any shit until we get back on dry land ;) .......well maybe.

Upvote 0