Boats went down in westport today?

shortbus69

Aug 12, 2014
Des Moines
Name
Dan
Boat
23 ft supervee 19 ft stryker
Heard 2 boats went down today. Hope everyone is safe. Any word on what happened. Heard it was snotty but not unsafe. Again hope everyone is safe.

Upvote 0

Syoungs

Aug 22, 2018
Eastern wa
Name
STEPHEN YOUNGS
Boat
Trophy 2459
Saw a few pics on Facebook of an osprey that went down. Some people saying a broken thru hull caused it, 5 people got rescued before the boat sank by a charter.

Havent heard of the other one going down though.

Upvote 0

liltrouble

Jun 9, 2012
ShillCreek, WA USA
Name
Shari
Boat
Mr. Buttercup
Joe Champeaux, Lila Rae. He is the Commodore of the VFW. He had 4 friends onboard. i called him on the cell when i heard his mayday. No answer.

I was on my way and was monitoring VHF 16. It was harrowing to it. when the CG motor lifeboat radio'd to F/V Juno they were 8 minutes out and could they pass their Honda dewatering pump to them and the Juno captain said "she is fully underwater" my heart sank.

Cormorant radiod they had taken all passengers onboard safely and was waiting for USCG MLB to arrive on station.

I radiod cormorant thanking them for their assistance and rescue that saved 5 lives. Asked them to tell Joe We were on our way and grateful cormorant was on site.

I got a call from Joe a couple minutes later. He was distressed, as would be expected. He wasn't sure he could ever go on a boat again. He didn't know what happened. Boat was in marina for 6 weeks. no issues. regular maintenance. checks bilge.

He said they were going along and the ass end got suddenly heavy. He looked back To the motors submerging. He called CG couldn't find source of water intrusion.

A good man. A stellar boater. if you are in town, you can stop by the VFW and let him know you are glad he is safe. The VFW has sobers on Friday and Saturday nights if you are in town. They post their menus on Facebook, VFW 3057. That is their fundraisers to keep the lights on and the doors open.

Grateful all are safe.

Upvote 0

bducky

• Jul 31, 2017
    elma
    Name
    bob
    Boat
    20 ft duckworth
    WOW! That is some scary shit. So glad all are safe, unfortunately we 'll never know what failed. What besides thu-hull transducer problem would cause such a rapid influx of water without warning?

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    WOW! That is some scary shit. So glad all are safe, unfortunately we 'll never know what failed. What besides thu-hull transducer problem would cause such a rapid influx of water without warning?
    To many variables, depends on the boat, the power, etc…

failed shaft, outdrive, hitting something submersed and knocking a hole….. water pump on an inboard motor can pump a lot of water fast if a hose fails or becomes disconnected…

through hull is most common failure..

Upvote 0

salmonkillerSeahawk

Almost A Member
    Aug 21, 2017
    Covington
    Name
    Bryan
    Boat
    21NR Seahawk
    From Facebook......

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

South Sounder

Skipper
    Jun 12, 2011
    South Sound/ WA/ USA
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    South Sounder
    I wonder what kind of bracket that was and if a hatch kid leaked I’ve seen some solid ones fill up with enough water to cause a stability issue and if it’s not a solid bulkhead into the voids there’s a massive area for water to get in. Man that’s two great people in several weeks that have had boats go down

Upvote 0

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
    Nov 2, 2017
    Covington, wa
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
    Without knowing any details I gotta say I am pretty confident I could stop the vast majority of leaks with my large stack of toilet wax rings and swim goggles. Now I keep a snake cam on board also.

You can fix some big ass holes with that stuff just by smearing it in there. Broken thru hull no problem. Cracks also good to go. Good enough to keep it floating in manysituations. I plugged some thru hulls with it on a past boat just for good measure as they weren't being used (still plumbed tho) and they were still totalltplugged up by the end of the season

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    High water alarms, mine comes on if there is more than 2” of water in the bilge.
    This one is huge and missing on most boats…. Bilge pump float switches are extremely prone to failure… a blown fuse, corroded wire and viola the pump isn’t working… A high water alarm is a great back up warning system, so you can stop and address the issue before too much water is below deck…

It’s required on charter boats.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Without knowing any details I gotta say I am pretty confident I could stop the vast majority of leaks with my large stack of toilet wax rings and swim goggles. Now I keep a snake cam on board also.

You can fix some big ass holes with that stuff just by smearing it in there. Broken thru hull no problem. Cracks also good to go. Good enough to keep it floating in manysituations. I plugged some thru hulls with it on a past boat just for good measure as they weren't being used (still plumbed tho) and they were still totalltplugged up by the end of the season
    A life jacket, shirt, tapered plug…. Lots of things will plug it… often by the times a guy realizes his bilge is full of water it is shit and get time!

wax rings will plug all kinds of shit from inside or out… pile it on wan keep poking!

Reactions: goatram
    Upvote 0

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
  • Apr 3, 2008
    Stanwood, WA
    Name
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    My second pump is set 6" Higher. Connected to a Horn and Flashing Yellow light. KISS!
    Wax Rings are cheap. Soft Foam cone plugs are available but cost more.

As I was running in I saw the boat going across the bar outbound on step.

Offshore brackets offer Buoyancy if sealed properly, Bilge Pump working maintains it.

The only way to know for sure what happened is if the boat was salvaged and Inspected. New Suzies on her ass. More weight? More thrust/HP than what it was designed for. i.e. did the motors crack the bracket or did the transom crack. Was there water intrusion rot in the wood used in the transom and the new motors assisted in finding the weakness?

Questions that only can be answered by the boat on dry land.

Upvote 0

kwik_wurk

Apr 10, 2012
    Indianola & Browns Point
    Name
    kwik_wurk
    Boat
    Montauk, Sailfish 2360, and Johnson18
    Whew glad everyone is safe…

Looks near shore, someone is likely going to try and salvage the boat if not already. - Boat itself looked nicely kept and in order…

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
    Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    Damn. Terrific outcome. Would love to learn more about why to protect us from it, but that’s faaaaar less important compared to getting all 5 home to their families.
    Swim goggles? Never considered that. Great idea. I have a tub of “wax” onboard. Hope it’ll hold to aluminum. Actually, hope I never need to know.

Reactions: ShiverMeTimbersPNW
    Captain Decent
    Captain Decent
    I have them on board but I am not looking forward to testing them out in 45 deg water! At least there's a chance
    Upvote 0

fishing fanatic

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 12, 2008
    Alger, WA
    Name
    jason
    Boat
    28’ almar sounder //16' lavro
    I had an Osprey and the lane ass plastic covers let water in and filled up my extension pod but by no means did that or would that sink nor compromise the boat. She was a dog and unpredictable but not stern down at all to this level. I’m glad everyone is safe and hope we all hear what happened

Upvote 0

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
    Jun 2, 2009
    Seabeck
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
    Glad everyone is ok..glad it happened close as opposed to the 125. Glad people where willing to help.

Quick fix gear is awesome, everyone should have it....

But in reality, honest perception...anyone practiced trying to fix a thru Hull leak in the ocean..you take on water, can't find it via access hatch's, you jumping in 56 degree water with the boat listing and rocking..? Outboards or outdrives aren't forgiving to your nugget. You've got about ten minutes before you loose motor function...

I dunno. Maybe we need a different thread...seems like a good topic to brainstorm.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Glad everyone is ok..glad it happened close as opposed to the 125. Glad people where willing to help.

Quick fix gear is awesome, everyone should have it....

But in reality, honest perception...anyone practiced trying to fix a thru Hull leak in the ocean..you take on water, can't find it via access hatch's, you jumping in 56 degree water with the boat listing and rocking..? Outboards or outdrives aren't forgiving to your nugget. You've got about ten minutes before you loose motor function...

I dunno. Maybe we need a different thread...seems like a good topic to brainstorm.
    I was thinking the same thing… I have a set of dive gear on the boat in MX, but that water is much warmer and it would be to clear a fouled rope or net from the props… I would not consider jumping in our waters under a bobbing boat on a semi rough-rough day…. Good way to be knocked unconscious and the effects of cold water would be drastic for anyone who has not practiced it. Instant brain freeze, hypothermia in minutes, possible heart blood flow complications and more…. And if you have ever dove the visibility in our waters sucks ass compared to warm tropical areas.

It is a good conversation to have…. If you have goggles and think for a minute you would ever try it in an emergency situation, I suggest you and your buddies go out on a calm day with safety abs rescue in mind and jump your happy ass in the water and attempt to swim under your boat, locate a through hull fitting and resurface. Report back how easy it is when your boat is not sinking on a calm day and then gauge how you would do when your boat is listing in rough water, with a few moments to complete the task…. That’s if you even know where the water is coming in…

Wedge something from the inside, or start preparing for the survival afloat, whether it’s deploying a raft, emptying an ice chest to act as a float, or grabbing anything that floats to build a raft…. Many times you won’t have another vessel right there to pluck you…. This I know first hand..😃

Upvote 0

GregE

Seeking Kodak Moments
  • May 17, 2011
    Shelton, WA Mason
    www.sagecreekforums.com
    Name
    Greg Eastman
    Boat
    Kodak II - Arima SL 22
    I carry a foam cone designed to stuff into a hole to stop/ slow leaks. But that would only help if one of the thru hulls failed or a hole in that area- Arima has an inner hull so no access to a puncture forward.
    OTOH Arimas have lots of flotation foam and won't sink though they will swamp or turn turtle. I'll find my extra wax ring

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
    Nov 2, 2017
    Covington, wa
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
    Noone said it would be easy but you have to give yourself a chance. And if your life depends on it you can do amazing things. You can either jump in the water and try to fix the leak or you're going in the water regardless a few min later when the boat sinks.

Typically theres only a couple failure points on the bottom and the are usually pretty robust: bronze thru hull with a sea cock valve. Not a common failure. The plastic thru hulls near or below the water line along the sides and transom are more likely and all could be accessed without driving. Next would be transom cracks and failures. These could be smeared with wax to stop or slow water flow.

Reactions: SeeMeFISHIN

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
    Mar 4, 2009
    Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
    I was thinking the same thing… I have a set of dive gear on the boat in MX, but that water is much warmer and it would be to clear a fouled rope or net from the props… I would not consider jumping in our waters under a bobbing boat on a semi rough-rough day…. Good way to be knocked unconscious and the effects of cold water would be drastic for anyone who has not practiced it. Instant brain freeze, hypothermia in minutes, possible heart blood flow complications and more…. And if you have ever dove the visibility in our waters sucks ass compared to warm tropical areas.

It is a good conversation to have…. If you have goggles and think for a minute you would ever try it in an emergency situation, I suggest you and your buddies go out on a calm day with safety abs rescue in mind and jump your happy ass in the water and attempt to swim under your boat, locate a through hull fitting and resurface. Report back how easy it is when your boat is not sinking on a calm day and then gauge how you would do when your boat is listing in rough water, with a few moments to complete the task…. That’s if you even know where the water is coming in…

Wedge something from the inside, or start preparing for the survival afloat, whether it’s deploying a raft, emptying an ice chest to act as a float, or grabbing anything that floats to build a raft…. Many times you won’t have another vessel right there to pluck you…. This I know first hand..😃
    You're correct. Accessing a breech from the outside of one of our sport boats would be fool-hardy at best but more like plain downright stupid. Attempting to plug the breech with wood/foam plugs or wax ring material would be the best attempt if you could get to the breech. Then you toss in how out of shape most of us are....nope for jumping in to fix things. Then you toss in the age factor.....My brain may think I'm 14 but my body says nope.

I've been under larger boats at sea in dive gear. It was spooky for me as I didn't like the idea there was probably 80/90 fathom under the boat. Lame ass skipper (not me) somehow had got a bridle over the rudder so I went under, got a cable clamp on it so we could jerk it free with a hook line. Fairly calm ocean with maybe a 3 or 4 swell. Seemed like once under you go up and down with the surge of the boat but it was calm. I was young and stupid and after that would never do it again. You don't want to be doing it on our little boats.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0