Boating

Dfry

May 4, 2021
San Diego
Name
Derrick
Boat
Reef runner
Hey guys I got a 17’ reef runner powered with a new 115 four stroke with a 80 gallon tank I want to take it to Catalina or San Clemente I’m from up north and had is 30 miles out in some pretty rough water and it did fine I was wondering what are your guys take on it

Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
Range isn't your issue. Cat is within working distance with a Reef Runner without issue. Coming back from SCI can get pretty nautical in the afternoon, so you may want to rethink/plan a strategy/buddy boat for that slog. The exposed ocean between the two islands has you taking downhill swells from the side and makes running pretty sloppy.

The Reef Runner has a stepped transom, have you addressed that issue? Having a little experience with those boats, it doesn't take much to take one over the stern and push a lot of water on the deck. Take two and you can be in an "oh shit" situation.

You asked this question in another location, didn't you like the answers you got there?

If you go, be safe.

Reactions: butcherboy
D
Dfry
Honestly I’m just trying to find tuna fishing are usually fish moral Bay for rockfish and salmon been in some pretty nasty weather out there new to this tuna fishing stuffBut live in San Diego now might as well get on board
Upvote 0
D
Dfry
I’m getting all my stuff to fish the Coronado’s I’m pretty sure that’s doable in my boat I know I could do the 9 mile bank and maybe the 302 just trying to find my best options to find a tuna LOL in my boat Safely
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
And I posted it twice because I didn’t know if it was getting seen I’m new on this site
That boat going to the 9 and Coronados is fine. SCI would be a slog. Gonzo fishes those areas in his Invader solo all of the time (see current fish report).

Upvote 0

Latest posts