Boating from Seattle Area to Neah Bay

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by ratherbefishin, Mar 1, 2009.

1. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin DaBluKru

Name:
    Dale
    Boat:
    DaBluKru on the Outadablu
    For those of you that have made the trip from Seattle to Neah Bay by boat, how long does it take? Thinking about doing it this summer? I actually live on Whidbey so I would be leaving from the Keystone area. Any positive or negative thoughts would be appreciated!
    -Dale

2. Slabby20

Slabby20 Newbie

Name:
    Ken
    Boat:
    21' Trophy
    A lot depends on your cruising speed, weather etc. With that said I think it would take you about 3- 4 hours from Keystone, give or take. I suggest you leave at 1st light and make the run before the mid-day / afternoon winds kick up. I used to make that run from Everett back in the mid 90's when I had my 26' walkaround. It can be a real easy run if it's flat or a bear if the winds are coming down the straits. Also, depending on what time of year you make the run it can be really foggy. Radar is a plus.

Slabby

3. Keta

Keta Ignorant Sheep Farmer

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    3' Too Short
    It's more cost effective to trailer your boat.

Here's how you can figure your travel time,
    #1 figure out the total miles you are planning on traveling
    #2 determine your "cruse speed"
    #3 divide the miles by your cruse speed

Note, Rough conditions may require more time

4. fishing fanatic

fishing fanatic Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jason
    Boat:
    28’ almar sounder //16' lavro
    we do this run all the time in our osprey but see pros and cons of it. as the above have noted the weather and wind are the two main factos and what tow vehicle u have for your boat vs what the size of your boat is. any more questions pm me

5. WaveDancer

WaveDancer Fishing The Pacific Ocean & Puget Sound Since 1969

Name:
    Ken
    Boat:
    Prowling for a Cat
    As some have said, if you can line up a early AM run out along with an outgoing tide, things can be pretty smooth.

Now if you are trying to go against the current, are bucking the normal westerly winds that like to come up in the afternoons, it can be a little more adventurous.

You don't say what time of year you want to do this so if you are considering trailering out to NB, remember the Hood Canal Bridge is scheduled to be closed from May 1st through June 15th.

Depending on your starting point, this may add several hours of drive time each way.

WD.

6. outtadablu

outtadablu Gettin' Ready to go KILL some fishes

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    26' Osprey "Outtadablu"
    Dale - I've been contemplating the same thing. Also a Freeland resident, and roundtrip on the Keystone Ferry is about $140, and the wait can be several hours in the summer. all the other ferries are more $$ than that run, so your screwed for towing unless you want to drive half way around the state to get out there. I've been looking at my charts and it looks like a 4 hour run without complications. Tides and winds are going to control your timing. If your thinking seriously about it,PM me and maybe we could run at the same time.
    Dave

7. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin DaBluKru

Name:
    Dale
    Boat:
    DaBluKru on the Outadablu
    Thanks for all the input. I was planning to go in July or August.
    -Dale

8. Slabby20

Slabby20 Newbie

Name:
    Ken
    Boat:
    21' Trophy
    I ran from Everett up to Bamfield and Tofino for 10 years in a row. The 1st couple years I was stopping in Neah Bay to fuel up and pick up a couple friends. After that we started clearing customs in Victoria, spent the night and left at 1st light to run the rest of the way. Almost always the run was real easy. Just watch the forecast. Usually, if it was going to be rough, it was at the mouth of the straits. If you're going in August you'll have a high chance of fog. I miss my bigger boat and the ability to make that run. In my opinion it's a lot of fun to boat in.

9. Cornfed

Cornfed CAPTAIN | TEAM USUAL SUSPECTS Has Moderator Powers

Name:
    TOMMY DONLIN
    Boat:
    DEFIANCE GUADALUPE 290 CORNIVOROUS
    We run it from Duwamish Waterway to Neah at about 18-19 knots cruise in 7-7.5 hrs. It is roughly 130-135nm from downtown Seattle. The biggest issue with the run is the wind howling down the strait. It can get nasty as it gets funneled towards the east strait.

With the cheaper fuel this summer, we will kick it a nickel and run the rpms a little higher.

Typically fuel up at Kingston or PA if we have to, but Neah fuel is always cheaper.