Boating Etiquette when you go on someone’s private Boat

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by scruitt, Jun 6, 2018.

1. scruitt

scruitt @ home on the water

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Got Grady
    It’s really not It’s basically a group effort. Suggestions on how to can be helpful and work together. Keep in mind there is no crew if your on a private boat chances are your it. Most of the time the owners got his hands full and could use the extra hand or an eye out for safety issues. I agree 100 % that list is long and ridiculous. We all know THAT guy that brings sunflower seeds spits them on the deck,drinks and eats everything on the boat, sleeps under way and hogs the rail when your stopped.bails the second the boat hits the dock. In a way I envy that guy instead of feeling like you just got used. If you aren’t the person that becomes a part of a private boat that’s ok you may be better suited for party boats where you can pay for that kind of service.

2. scruitt

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Got Grady
    Hahaha thanks I needed that

3. scruitt

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Got Grady
    You are a commercial captain you operate professional six pack charter boat WILD IN SAC you have a crew for your guests. Customer service is at the very top of your list. I’m sure you’ve taken people out in your skiff and not required but needed some of those suggestions. And that’s what they are suggestions 1-2-3 guys on a boat working together to go do something we are blessed to be able to do

Spearo4Life likes this.
  4. Jigslinger

Jigslinger Fishing is an incurable disease

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
    Excellent post! I agree with everything. That’s why I only fish sporties. No drama. :D

eric harner likes this.
  5. Yolo

Yolo Outcasts

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Relentless
    When I am a guest on someone's boat, that list is pretty much it. Private Boating is waaaayy different than jumping on a charter as you work your tail off and sleep very little.

You need to be super careful about sleep as if going overnight you have a watch, you also need to watch the beers...and who you are fishing with. I've fished with guys who drink so much I'm driving in by myself (stopped fishing with them).

I like my cold beer like anyone else but if I fall in, that drunker than crap guy is the only one who has to save me. No thanks. Keep it moderate until very close to shore.

Good list. There are pros and cons to private boating, not for everyone.

But follow that list or most of it, and you get invited back!

scruitt likes this.
  6. Yolo

Yolo Outcasts

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Relentless
    What to do to get invited back:

1. Call to say you are on your way but really still be in bed.
    2. Bring a fresh breakfast burrito, only one, and eat it in front of everyone.
    3. Bring a 40" International Travel Samsonite suitcase for your clothes.
    4. Bring 6 rod/reel combos, all with no tackle, bum tackle from the boat.
    5. Don't get the dock lines, go directly to a seat in the cabin and start playing with your phone.
    6. Call your wife and talk crap about how everyone is looking at you and put her on speakerphone.
    7. Don't chip in or carry cash when you hit the bait docks, just stay in the cabin.
    8. Open your suitcase and take out some fresh clothes for later, hang them in the cabin to let the wrinkles settle out.
    9. Take a nap while the crew fills the bait tank.
    10. Make sure all the fenders are still out and hanging all through the channel entrance.
    11. Wear a full size lifejacket at all times.
    12. Take a full dump in their toilet right at the start of the trip.
    13. Ask them who knows how to tie a hook? Ask them if they have a hook you can borrow.
    14. Be the first to grab a stick, bait, and drop in on every patty. Pretend you are on a 3/4 day and hurl a giant iron, make sure it has a big splash.
    15. Scream "hookup" at the top of your lungs whenever you hook a fish.
    16. Do not in any way find where the gaff is, use it, or ever offer to use it.
    17. Tag all your fish, announce these are "mine" in a loud, stern voice.
    18. Leave all your fish on the deck.
    19. When done, take a boat shower in your tighty whities, use shampoo.
    20. Get right back to napping as soon as you find out how long to get home so you can set your snooze alarm.
    21. When you get to the dock, remind everyone that you hate fish, never eat it, and that you have to pick up your kids from daycare.
    22. Constantly email, call, text your buddies to find out when the next trip is. You will find that they have either blocked your number, left town, sold the boat, or became PETA board of directors.

7. matt86m

matt86m Not worthy of a Title

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    20' Tiara Pursuit
    This is a 2 way street. I do all I can when on a friends boat - that is understood.

There are responsibilities on the 'captain' (boat owner) as well.

I boat ho'd 1 time - it was such a bad experience I'll never do it again.
    As soon as he was out of the harbor it was full throttle and we (3 of us) hadn't decided where were going. Note: the owner asked the 2 of us where we should go. Fog, big rollers and still dark and he is hauling ass. So much so that the hull is SLAMMING down on the water. He did this all day even though we both asked him to slow down, he was killing the bait, his boat and us. Finally his 'friend' took over the controls. He asked us what we looked for when fishing so I told him what I know and pointed out at full throttle you miss all kinds of sign.

There's more but I won't bore you any longer

You get the point,,,,

Yolo likes this.
  8. miaf

miaf Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Boat:
    Sounds like you didn’t do your homework. I would never go blind on someone’s boat without having some sort of background on his experience. Like you said, it goes both ways.

9. matt86m

matt86m Not worthy of a Title

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    20' Tiara Pursuit
    Partially correct. I went with a friend who was friends with the owner.
    But ultimately it is on me.

10. scruitt

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Got Grady
    Amen brother most of the guys I fish with own there own boats as well

11. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    Bag of frozen fresh dead squid for "bait back-up" is worth all 50 of your "suggestions". :D

Your list? If I couldn't handle all of your list myself, I wouldn't have owned a boat in the first place. Owning a boat and then needing to be re-imbursed for ANYTHING to be able to use it? I'm going boating/fishing...with or without "guests". My 38' single-screw trawler was especially satisfying learning how to run it solo......successfully.

12. jgy

jgy Member

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    Looking for a World Cat 320EC (hit me up if you have one for sale)
    I keep it simple.
    1. Share costs (gas, bait, ice, etc)
    2. Make sure you have enough tackle and if you "borrow" mine, at least offer to replace it
    3. Clean up after yourself
    4. Bring extra food
    5. Don't keep saying you're tired and just stop fishing when you want to go home (while everyone else is still fishing/having a good time), it kills the mood
    6. Do your part in cleaning up at the washdown station

Yolo, Blackfish and scruitt like this.
  13. scruitt

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Got Grady
    Omg hahahaha that’s sum funny shit right there damm hahaha

14. sealskinner

sealskinner Retired Pimp

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Franks ho
    Boat owners seem annoyed at the list because all of it is common sense.
    But for guys that want to make the jump to private boats, there are certain expectations. Some captains, more than others. It's kinda gratifying to have a well oiled machine.

Spearo4Life likes this.
  15. scruitt

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Got Grady
    I tend to lean on the solo side myself or with guys who own boats 3 guys in particular. Guys that can do everything as well. Comfortable enough to not make any difference who’s driving, rigging, or just doing nothing

wils likes this.
  16. kindafishy

kindafishy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    SCOTT
    Boat:
    bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
    :DASS , CASH, OR GAS.........NOBODY RIDES FOR FREE. WITH THIS POLICY NO PROBLEM GETTING BAIT AND FUEL MONEY.:D

17. madrugador

madrugador I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    chad
    Boat:
    26 blackman MADRUGADOR II ,13'6 gregor hoopster
    I just keep the same crew fishing with me ... they have me well trained .

scruitt likes this.
  18. scruitt

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Got Grady
    I hear you on the radio all the time

19. scruitt

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Got Grady
    It’s def not for everyone I really can’t believe people crying about having to actually do something to get the job done. Biggest pet peeve I ever had was bag fisherman if they pay five dollars they expect five dollars worth of fish. Missing the entire point, I love it out there being able to go wherever I want having the choice to fish in the spot of my choice. The Saltair in my face the birds scenery the joy of seeing something you’ve never seen before the sunrises and the sunsets it’s a freedom unmatched by any thing in my opinion. It’s a small price to pay for that freedom And experience with close mates. Anyone who cries about having to share the work obviously doesn’t belong on a private boat. And certainly doesn’t get the intimacy of sharing the true experience of being out on the water the fish in my opinion are all bonuses on top of being a part of The ocean

20. clevel

clevel Captain in Learning

Name:
    Cabo Jack
    Boat:
    Cobia 261
    Great comprehensive list! Everybody starts out as a novice and therefore it is great info for those novice out their seeking this info!

scruitt likes this.