Boaters overboard in dana point

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by salgtech, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Winstondry

Winstondry Winstondry

Name:
    Alain
    Boat:
    Ranger Z520L
  2. Raimond

Raimond Not as lean, not as mean, still a Marine...

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    23' IMP Hardtop - "4 Reel"
    Not a member there what did he report.

I heard it was a bit of foul play suspected... He had a life vest on... Makes you scratch your head that the other one didn't...

3. Winstondry

Winstondry Winstondry

Name:
    Alain
    Boat:
    Ranger Z520L
    That's one of the errors in the reporting that he corrected. He did not have a life vest on either. I let him know that I posted the URL over here, and there were many of us concerned boaters and fisherman hoping for the best outcome. I'm hoping that he comes and posts here on BD as well as I don't feel it's my place to speak on his behalf.

4. jscrib

jscrib Whale Cock

Name:
    j
    Boat:
    VS
    As owner of SCSF I will post his reply here so people can read what he had to say.

"It was me, and no I didn't have a life jacket on as said in the last article. Yes that would have made the difference especially for my partner who has not been found. I really cant believe that I was able to tread water and stay alive for three hours. I'm still in shock at the moment over the whole incident and losing my partner is now just starting to sink in. I have a lot of time in the water and am well aware of the dangers involved with this sport. The boat I was on had a brand new motor with just over 30hrs. Nevertheless as I am learning through the reports given to me in the investigation, the steering cable gave durring our ride back in which violently jerked the boat one way and sent me and my partner, both of us flying out into the water. No chance to grab any life vest or anything. I shortly lost sight of my buddy after we initially came up after being tossed and swam away from the boat the was turning in circles unmanned. Yes if I had worn the " off key wrist thing" then the boat would have shut off as I was thrown off. Then the outcome today most likely would have had a different ending. I think about these two factors consistently and hope that everyone else will consider or reconsider to practice these safety procedures as part of their routine. Things are a little rough, crazy and sad for me and my family right now. Words cannot express how grateful I am to have survived this tragedy. But I cannot celebrate my fortunate fate as we have not yet found my missing friend. So my thoughts and prayers is still going out towards his family friends and love ones. I thank you ahead for all your wishes and prayers. I have not been an active member of this community for some time but I do troll on it once in a while. You guys have all been a great and happy part of my life and I have met and made so many good friends. I love you all and hope you all stay safe. I was just looking around the web for related articles about my incident and wondered if this community had gotten wind of things. and I was right, not much escapes the people here. Anyways that is what happen in short and perhaps I can follow up later with a detailed report but at this time I hope you can understand it is a bit difficult for me. Let me leave you with one thought though- " a wise man learns from his mistakes, a wiser man learns from the mistakes of others". I wish I could have been the later- Billy aka "dagodfaja""

Once again, there are lessons here for all of us to learn who spend time on the water.

J

Burndog, marlyn and Blackfish like this.
  5. Winstondry

Winstondry Winstondry

Name:
    Alain
    Boat:
    Ranger Z520L
    Thanks J.

6. Raimond

Raimond Not as lean, not as mean, still a Marine...

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    23' IMP Hardtop - "4 Reel"
    That explanation sounds reasonable. Thanks for posting his "Come to Jesus" event and the lessons he learned from it. Respectable, no admirable that he is sharing the lesson to prevent it from happening to others.

Winstondry and MikeyLikesIt like this.
  7. basilone

basilone Vamos Argentina!!!!!!

Name:
    basilio
    Boat:
    26 foot Regulator
    prayers for the family.. And this lesson learned will definitely save lives..thank you for sharing

8. boswell

boswell Member

Name:
    jay
    Boat:
    no got
    Feel terrible for Billy and his friend. I fish a lot on Lal's inflatable; I'm swallowing my pride and wearing a life preserver all the time I'm on the boat from now on.

basilone and marlyn like this.
  9. whammy

whammy Hook Up!

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    2200 XL Pathfinder
    Praying for a miracle. From now on, I am definitely wearing my life preserver and ACR unit no matter what

basilone likes this.
  10. Vigilant32

Vigilant32 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    G
    Boat:
    Sorry for this loss, very sad situation. Godspeed to a fellow fisherman.

Based upon reading about such situations over the past 40 years, plus operating center consoles with lots of horsepower, in tuff conditions, I have deployed the following rules:

Ignition lanyard deployed by helmsman at all times. Consistent inspections of powerplant & steering/helm system as well as entire vessel inspections and upkeep. No cable steering, especially with excess of 100 HP motor. Auto inflate PDF's while underway. No transom/gunnel area urinating without a watch. Night travel deck time requires wearing a light stick. I used to hand out whistles, I think Ill make sure they are attached to the PDF's

Whalers can give you a feeling of safety, but in this case it seems a combo of speed, systems and skirting safety precautions created a perfect storm. So sorry for these guys but I will heed even more caution while on the water.

Mo Betta, Burndog and Skeeter Nate like this.
  11. Derby

Derby My "Member" is Well Known.

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    If you invest in a nice vest, you can/should wear it all day. Mustang HIT are the most comfortable. Insert a PLB in the fold of the vest and your odds of coming home are pretty good.

Everyone wears a vest on my boat no matter what.

Willdoggy and basilone like this.
  12. Derby

Derby My "Member" is Well Known.

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    Is it me or are the quotes not showing up?

13. fishnfu

fishnfu Member

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    21' Striper (FISHNFU)
    You got that right brother! Both guys were friends of mine as well and both would give you the shirt off their back if they thought you needed it!!! RIP Vu and I will be there for you Billy if you need me bro.

Thanks Scribby for posting this!

basilone likes this.
  14. Sonny100

Sonny100 Member

Name:
    Sonny
    Boat:
    Mako 184 CC
    Hi Derby,

Thanks for the information on the Mustang Life vest. I have looked at the inflatable life vest at a couple stores. All the vesta were a black or camouflage not a color I would want in a emergency. The Mustang HIT is bright orange with reflective tape.

If anyone knows how to contact the family Let me know how I can help. This is a tough situation and hard on the family. Maybe we could start a donation to help the family with what ever they may need.

HBfisherman and basilone like this.
  15. Randy V

Randy V Slamma Jamma

Name:
    Randy
    Boat:
    30' Kona Star
    Good advice there.

What is a PLB?

16. kindafishy

kindafishy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    SCOTT
    Boat:
    bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
    personal locator beacon.

a personal epirb...there are many out there. can be found for much less, some allow you to send messages also.

17. Willdoggy

Willdoggy Willing Member

Name:
    IG = WetWillyBiz
    Boat:
    Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
    PLB is a Personal Locating Beacon. When deployed it sends a signal to Coast Guard via Satellite and hopefully gets you help quickly. I don't have that top shelf device in my Mustang PFD but do have a Neon Strobe tucked in there and the model Mustang I have has a built in Whistle...
    My Model # is a MD3183 and is black
    Chica Dulce wears a 3087 and is pink
    My kids both wear Jet Ski PFDs with the Strobes attached and auxiliary whistles attached....
    May not look cool but hey I'd rather be alive for the next trip.
    After wearing the Inflatable PFDs the first 5 minutes you don't even know it's on.
    Last input: Inflatables and Hooks/knives and Gaffs don't mix so if you think you punctured it...assume you did and blow it up with the manual inflation tube as soon as possible to test for leaks....you want this to be holding air when you really need it.
    So sorry about this tragedy. I was on the water when it happened and heard the sad story unfolding. My heart goes out to this man who lost his friend and his friend, now lost.

18. Willdoggy

Willdoggy Willing Member

Name:
    IG = WetWillyBiz
    Boat:
    Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
    Those vests are probably a bright color inside. Mine is black outside but bright fluorescent yellow when deployed.

19. Fleet

Fleet Thepowderblues.com

Name:
    Fishing Jedi
    Boat:
    BW Outrage/RHFleet.org
    I use an Onyx life belt. Strobe tucked in the pocket. I guess its important i dont get knocked out if i go over.

[​IMG]

20. c-goat

c-goat HELL BENT FOR FEATHER

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    I dont think they ever found those kids that went missing off florida recently.Its always a bummer,but it happens.
    It could have been me 30 years ago,i used to be stupid,now that Im much older Im just dumb...not stupid,just dumb.:imdumb:

Blackfish and sbsurfer like this.