Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
After reading this post my Life vest will be on any time boat is moving!
If you invest in a nice vest, you can/should wear it all day. Mustang HIT are the most comfortable. Insert a PLB in the fold of the vest and your odds of coming home are pretty good.

Everyone wears a vest on my boat no matter what.

fishnfu

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 22, 2004
Lakewood California
Name
Paul
Boat
21' Striper (FISHNFU)
I know Billy well and my heart goes out to him and his friend who has not been found.

And I'm glad what happened finally came out so the "internet armchair" nation can finally stop making assumptions on something they knew nothing about. Then again, that's the "keyboard" world we live in.

What we can take from this is lessons learned. Stay strong Billy and be there for your friends family.

Jason
You got that right brother! Both guys were friends of mine as well and both would give you the shirt off their back if they thought you needed it!!! RIP Vu and I will be there for you Billy if you need me bro.

Thanks Scribby for posting this!

Reactions: basilone

Sonny100

May 15, 2015
Name
Sonny
Boat
Mako 184 CC
If you invest in a nice vest, you can/should wear it all day. Mustang HIT are the most comfortable. Insert a PLB in the fold of the vest and your odds of coming home are pretty good.

Hi Derby,

Thanks for the information on the Mustang Life vest. I have looked at the inflatable life vest at a couple stores. All the vesta were a black or camouflage not a color I would want in a emergency. The Mustang HIT is bright orange with reflective tape.

If anyone knows how to contact the family Let me know how I can help. This is a tough situation and hard on the family. Maybe we could start a donation to help the family with what ever they may need.

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
personal locator beacon.

Amazon product
a personal epirb...there are many out there. can be found for much less, some allow you to send messages also.

Willdoggy

Willing Member
Jun 25, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
IG = WetWillyBiz
Boat
Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
Good advice there.

What is a PLB?
PLB is a Personal Locating Beacon. When deployed it sends a signal to Coast Guard via Satellite and hopefully gets you help quickly. I don't have that top shelf device in my Mustang PFD but do have a Neon Strobe tucked in there and the model Mustang I have has a built in Whistle...
My Model # is a MD3183 and is black
Chica Dulce wears a 3087 and is pink
My kids both wear Jet Ski PFDs with the Strobes attached and auxiliary whistles attached....
May not look cool but hey I'd rather be alive for the next trip.
After wearing the Inflatable PFDs the first 5 minutes you don't even know it's on.
Last input: Inflatables and Hooks/knives and Gaffs don't mix so if you think you punctured it...assume you did and blow it up with the manual inflation tube as soon as possible to test for leaks....you want this to be holding air when you really need it.
So sorry about this tragedy. I was on the water when it happened and heard the sad story unfolding. My heart goes out to this man who lost his friend and his friend, now lost.

Willdoggy

Willing Member
Jun 25, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
IG = WetWillyBiz
Boat
Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
Hi Derby,

Thanks for the information on the Mustang Life vest. I have looked at the inflatable life vest at a couple stores. All the vesta were a black or camouflage not a color I would want in a emergency. The Mustang HIT is bright orange with reflective tape.

If anyone knows how to contact the family Let me know how I can help. This is a tough situation and hard on the family. Maybe we could start a donation to help the family with what ever they may need.
Those vests are probably a bright color inside. Mine is black outside but bright fluorescent yellow when deployed.

Fleet

Thepowderblues.com
May 17, 2015
Solana Beach
Name
Fishing Jedi
Boat
BW Outrage/RHFleet.org
I use an Onyx life belt. Strobe tucked in the pocket. I guess its important i dont get knocked out if i go over.

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
I dont think they ever found those kids that went missing off florida recently.Its always a bummer,but it happens.
It could have been me 30 years ago,i used to be stupid,now that Im much older Im just dumb...not stupid,just dumb.:imdumb:

Buttchaser

Fresh One!
Jul 3, 2004
BD Outdoors
Name
John
Boat
None
This sucks, I was heading home from work in San Clemente, listening to Knx radio on the way home ,heard about the search and seen the helo hovering the waters at 1pm....

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
This sucks, I was heading home from work in San Clemente, listening to Knx radio on the way home ,heard about the search and seen the helo hovering the waters at 1pm....
It does suck anytime anyone goes over. Condolences to friends and family.

Hi Derby,

I think a lot of vests are orange or yellow with reflective tape. You have to open it up to see.

LTBOLTMAN

Team Tail Chasers
Oct 15, 2006
San Diego
Name
Leoman
Boat
Davis Bahia 25 Pilot House

very sad situation...Coast Guard will not count a vest as a required PFD unless it is worn at all times... that's a good rule you have...I just picked up an Onyx a few months ago; there are too many situations that could arise that don't give you the time or ability to get a PFD on.