Boat wiring/ electrical help

Brqndqn

Oct 24, 2017
garden grove
Name
Brandon
Boat
'76 Mark twain
I just picked up a wellcraft 210 coastal with a Honda 225 four stroke. I’m having some trouble figuring this stuff out if somebody has some knowledge they could pass down to me I would greatly appreciate it.
- how can I tell what year the engine is? I was told it was bought brand new 2 years ago but I’m not sure if that means it’s a 2019 or another year.
- how should I wire the batteries in? There’s a 40amp breaker spreading out to 3 other fuses that are 5amps that I have no idea what it does.
- how do I diagnose power running to the engine? All my accessories up front work, but anything related to the engine doesn’t work. The tilt and trim just clicks as though there’s not enough power getting to them but my batteries check out at 12volts

id appreciate any help because I’m not very educated in this stuff. I’m still searching online for info as you read.

you can also contact me at (909) 664-8788 if you prefer

I attached some pictures to help identify what is what. If you need more specific pictures, I’ll gladly get them.

Thank you!

- Brandon

FADFA8DD-1346-4DAC-A7C6-3122F853E293.jpeg

6208A916-08F8-4E9B-A515-2CC67C7C7A49.jpeg

6FF6A439-24C6-4AA6-BCE3-3BF4F9459D55.jpeg

079FA865-7AAC-472D-A124-17442CEB041C.jpeg

F327A82C-682B-4914-86FC-060A7EAA1F48.jpeg

Upvote 0

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
  • Apr 3, 2008
    Stanwood, WA
    Name
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    Fuck me. There is sum corrosion there. Start cleaning the ends. Look for corroded splices.

The power lead going forward to the helm needs to be an 8gauge wires. Get some battery corrosion cleaner and a couple of SS small tooth brushes and start cleaning all of the terminal ends and studs and screws. Boats.net might help with the engine serial number.

Good luck and get dirty.

A Washington Googan standing by while you learn to mechanic on your girl. It is a desease. Enjoy!

Reactions: kevina
    Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
  • Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat
    18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
    For the year of the motor, IF that serial number is correct you should be able to contact Honda with it and get all the info

how should I wire the batteries in? Since you said batteries I will assume there are two? Most people who run off shore will run two batteries, I don't know shit about that boat or Honda's so tell me were the batteries hooked up at all when you got the boat? Do you know what it means when someone says, in series or parallel? If your electrical system is 24 volts then the batteries will be hooked together with the neg. from one hooked up to the positive of the other. Usually if there are two batteries and it is a 12 volt system there will be a switch, like a perko switch so you can choose which battery will be used for whatever... these batteries will have both the grounds or neg wired together so either battery will work what the other one does.

Everything electrical should be powered through a fuse, so you should have a fuse panel where power to run things comes from, like lights, fish finder etc.
    "- how do I diagnose power running to the engine? All my accessories up front work, but anything related to the engine doesn’t work." the only power running to the engine is a cable from the battery to the starter. Could you be more specific on the " but anything related to the engine doesn’t work" You mentioned the power tilt and trim and you said your batteries measure out at 12 volts... if your batteries show 12 volts they are either bad or seriously in need of a charge. a fully charged battery should read 12.75 volts, remember your battery can read 12volts and still be bad, what does it read for amps? A poorly charged battery could cause your tilt & trim to click, however there is a relay for it (at least there is in a Yamaha) in the motor and if it is bad it will just click. Listen carefully to the clicking noise, is it coming from the motor on the tilt or is it coming from inside the motor?

When I got my first Harley I tore it down to the frame, did a top end on the motor, rewired it, put it back together and rode it for six months, then I bought a manual. I tell this story all the time because only an idiot would do some stupid shit like that. No I'm not an idiot, I was 17 and did idiot shit because I didn't know any better. Now I don't buy a manual, I buy the shop manual for that particular car that covers everything in it and only for that car. My point is, don't be an idiot go and get a manual, trust me it doesn't sound like you are experienced enough to know what the part is or what it does, and you will need to know that. OR don't... lessons you learn the hard way are the best because they hurt so much to learn that you never forget them. just an FYI, the electrical systems in these things are so sensitive just looking at them wrong and they break, if you start hooking up shit and it isn't right, the cost of those parts is so much you could have bought a case of those manuals and one for me too. Seriously

Reactions: kevina and goatram
    Upvote 0

Brqndqn

Oct 24, 2017
    garden grove
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    '76 Mark twain
    Surg- expert marine. Nuff said
    I’m in SoCal 92841. I assume the place is called expert marine and talk to surg? If that’s the case, that place is 2000 miles away from me. I’m pretty sure I can buy a new boat for that commute price haha

Upvote 0

Brqndqn

Oct 24, 2017
    garden grove
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    '76 Mark twain
    For the year of the motor, IF that serial number is correct you should be able to contact Honda with it and get all the info

how should I wire the batteries in? Since you said batteries I will assume there are two? Most people who run off shore will run two batteries, I don't know shit about that boat or Honda's so tell me were the batteries hooked up at all when you got the boat? Do you know what it means when someone says, in series or parallel? If your electrical system is 24 volts then the batteries will be hooked together with the neg. from one hooked up to the positive of the other. Usually if there are two batteries and it is a 12 volt system there will be a switch, like a perko switch so you can choose which battery will be used for whatever... these batteries will have both the grounds or neg wired together so either battery will work what the other one does.

Everything electrical should be powered through a fuse, so you should have a fuse panel where power to run things comes from, like lights, fish finder etc.
    "- how do I diagnose power running to the engine? All my accessories up front work, but anything related to the engine doesn’t work." the only power running to the engine is a cable from the battery to the starter. Could you be more specific on the " but anything related to the engine doesn’t work" You mentioned the power tilt and trim and you said your batteries measure out at 12 volts... if your batteries show 12 volts they are either bad or seriously in need of a charge. a fully charged battery should read 12.75 volts, remember your battery can read 12volts and still be bad, what does it read for amps? A poorly charged battery could cause your tilt & trim to click, however there is a relay for it (at least there is in a Yamaha) in the motor and if it is bad it will just click. Listen carefully to the clicking noise, is it coming from the motor on the tilt or is it coming from inside the motor?

When I got my first Harley I tore it down to the frame, did a top end on the motor, rewired it, put it back together and rode it for six months, then I bought a manual. I tell this story all the time because only an idiot would do some stupid shit like that. No I'm not an idiot, I was 17 and did idiot shit because I didn't know any better. Now I don't buy a manual, I buy the shop manual for that particular car that covers everything in it and only for that car. My point is, don't be an idiot go and get a manual, trust me it doesn't sound like you are experienced enough to know what the part is or what it does, and you will need to know that. OR don't... lessons you learn the hard way are the best because they hurt so much to learn that you never forget them. just an FYI, the electrical systems in these things are so sensitive just looking at them wrong and they break, if you start hooking up shit and it isn't right, the cost of those parts is so much you could have bought a case of those manuals and one for me too. Seriously
    I’ll call the Honda place and find the motor year and model. I can’t seem to find the year and model to find the right schematics so I’ll have to wait until Monday when they’re open. One hell of a learning curve but I’ll have to learn one way or another. Thank you for the info. I’ll get on it right away!

Upvote 0

Brqndqn

Oct 24, 2017
    garden grove
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    '76 Mark twain
    Fuck me. There is sum corrosion there. Start cleaning the ends. Look for corroded splices.

The power lead going forward to the helm needs to be an 8gauge wires. Get some battery corrosion cleaner and a couple of SS small tooth brushes and start cleaning all of the terminal ends and studs and screws. Boats.net might help with the engine serial number.

Good luck and get dirty.

A Washington Googan standing by while you learn to mechanic on your girl. It is a desease. Enjoy!
    Thank you for the help sir! You were a life saver helping me out over the phone. Parts should be arriving today so hopefully that works. Fingers crossed 🤞

• Wink Face
    Reactions: goatram
    Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
  • Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat
    18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
    Brandon, my advice is to do as much as you can yourself, don't be afraid of making a few mistakes, that's how you learn, just don't make the same ones over and over. The only people who don't make mistakes are the one's that don't do anything.
    Remember when your 25 miles offshore and your boat fucks up and your clueless about how everything works, you are fucked and didn't even get kissed... if you have a clue you may be able to get home alive.

DON'T call a dealer looking for answers about those numbers, you will get no answers from them worth the cost of the local call. YOU want to call the corporate office, I am sure Honda has the same kind of setup that Yamaha has, you should be able to talk to someone who has all the answers, that is his job and how he makes a living and will be willing to help you.... Your question to a dealer will be to someone who has no clue about those numbers in the first place and it is not putting any money in his pocket, sorry but you are just a pain in the ass for him. Remember money talks and bullshit walks. Go to corporate... IF those are the real serial numbers they can, and will, tell you what year it is, what hp rating it is, what model, what service bulletins came out for it, or recalls, they can even tell you who bought it from them and when, they can probably tell you the serial number of the brain that came on it originally... that is their job, what puts money in their pocket. Don't be afraid to ask questions, the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask and don't know the answer to... always, always, always ask WHY, everything is done a certain way or in a certain order for a reason, if their answer doesn't make sense to you, try another source, your questions to these people makes them feel important, so ask away.

Upvote 0

Brqndqn

Oct 24, 2017
    garden grove
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    '76 Mark twain
    Brandon, my advice is to do as much as you can yourself, don't be afraid of making a few mistakes, that's how you learn, just don't make the same ones over and over. The only people who don't make mistakes are the one's that don't do anything.
    Remember when your 25 miles offshore and your boat fucks up and your clueless about how everything works, you are fucked and didn't even get kissed... if you have a clue you may be able to get home alive.

DON'T call a dealer looking for answers about those numbers, you will get no answers from them worth the cost of the local call. YOU want to call the corporate office, I am sure Honda has the same kind of setup that Yamaha has, you should be able to talk to someone who has all the answers, that is his job and how he makes a living and will be willing to help you.... Your question to a dealer will be to someone who has no clue about those numbers in the first place and it is not putting any money in his pocket, sorry but you are just a pain in the ass for him. Remember money talks and bullshit walks. Go to corporate... IF those are the real serial numbers they can, and will, tell you what year it is, what hp rating it is, what model, what service bulletins came out for it, or recalls, they can even tell you who bought it from them and when, they can probably tell you the serial number of the brain that came on it originally... that is their job, what puts money in their pocket. Don't be afraid to ask questions, the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask and don't know the answer to... always, always, always ask WHY, everything is done a certain way or in a certain order for a reason, if their answer doesn't make sense to you, try another source, your questions to these people makes them feel important, so ask
    amazing advice. I would like to get everything done myself so I can learn and know the system on my boat like the back of my hand like you said. The last thing I want is to be in the situation you said. Ill call the corporate office like you advised and go from there. thank you sir. you save me a bunch of time having to deal with someone that won't tell me the goods.

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport

Good luck and get dirty.

Also get an OHM meter and check all positive and negative cables from one end to to other. I had a bad ground wire back in the day with clean ends but corrosion in the middle of a cable that showed no visual signs of corrosion and only half the accesories had enough ground to work properly. With all the corrosion your showing, If I was in your shoes, I would rip out all wiring and replace with New Marine wire. You will be surprised what will work with new wiring.

Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport

X2

Upvote 0

Brqndqn

Oct 24, 2017
    garden grove
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    '76 Mark twain
    Also get an OHM meter and check all positive and negative from one end to to other. I had a bad ground wire back in the day with clean ends but corrosion in the middle of a cable that showed no visual signs of corrosion and only half the accesories had enough ground to work properly. With all the corrosion your showing, If I was in your shoes, I would rip out all wiring and replace with New Marine wire. You will be surprised what will work with new wiring.
    I might just have to bite the bullet and go that route. Currently, I have no idea what wires run what accessories. I have three random buttons on the boat that I have no clue what it does. I cannot ask the previous owner because he is unable to answer me so all the wiring is a complete mystery to me. I ordered a new breaker and a fuse block to replace the old destroyed one and ill figure out what works from there. if I keep failing then ill just have to do a complete rewire like you said. its quite a daunting task as a newbie but it has to be done.

Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    I might just have to bite the bullet and go that route. Currently, I have no idea what wires run what accessories. I have three random buttons on the boat that I have no clue what it does. I cannot ask the previous owner because he is unable to answer me so all the wiring is a complete mystery to me. I ordered a new breaker and a fuse block to replace the old destroyed one and ill figure out what works from there. if I keep failing then ill just have to do a complete rewire like you said. its quite a daunting task as a newbie but it has to be done.
    You don't want to be out in the ocean, wondering if my boat will start or my bildge pumps will not fail me if the bildge is full, ETC. You should also have 2 bildge pumps in your boat, if you don't already. It doesn't cost as much as you think to Have it re-wired with new fuse pane and ALL new switches.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Brqndqn

Oct 24, 2017
    garden grove
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    '76 Mark twain
    You don't want to be out in the ocean, wondering if my boat will start or my bildge pumps will not fail me if the bildge is full, ETC. You should also have 2 bildge pumps in your boat, if you don't already. It doesn't cost as much as you think to Have it re-wired with new fuse pane and ALL new switches.
    ill look into the cost of materials. to be honest, im not the most financially well off person in the world but I agree that safety doesn't have a price and you pay to play. I was asking to kill my wallet when I decided to get hooked on fishing.

• Haha
    Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    If you don't have any maintenance records, You may want to change out your water pump ASAP, It's easy to do, Just you tube it and get the couple secrets for aligning the keeper pin in the water pump housing and the shaft. 2 hours total work.

Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    That motor is probably a lot older than 2019.And the wiring ? With all the corrosion in the pictures i wouldn't bother repairing it,replace it all.

Reactions: sickcat
    Upvote 0

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
  • Apr 3, 2008
    Stanwood, WA
    Name
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    The boat builders have a tendency to run small gauge wire fwd to the helm fuse panels. That is why I said 8ga wires. Both POS and Neg wires. A auto reset fuse C/B at your battery then the run to the helm. It looks like a perko battery switch. I personally don't like them. Swap it for a blueseas battery switch.

To save some coin look to eBay for your marine wire. Tinned. Use Marine Grade butt connectors and terminal ends. You should save half the cost than from the local shop. You need two wires run from each component to the fuse panel. A POS and a negative wire. Bilge pump has three wires. One of the wires is manually on. Electrical contact cleaner will clean the stud ends of your lights. Battery cables to the engine are a 4ga min. 2ga preferred. My Honda BF250 has a third 10ga wire to the Fuse panel on the motor. When the motors were installed someone cut and sliced throu the battery cables for the engine. Couple of days after Thanksgiving the boat would not turn over. Had power to the starter. WTF? $900 later found out about the 10ga power wire to the fuse panel on the motor. The new Official Honda cable was $450. All the mechanic did was install a new 10ga wire and charge me 8hrs to trouble shoot it.

After ya get your boat up and running add the extra chit like Voltage sensing relays, aka VSR's battery chargers extra bilge pump, wash down pump, ect. ect.

Side not I haven't talked to you by phone. So no kudos to me. Just saying. After the fishing season is over in October willing to help you out if you bring the boat north to Washington. Understand the money issues. Been there and lived that life. Now I'm retired and do ok. I now puss around. In my shop and do what I want. Uncle Sam and Bill pay me a nice retirement each month.

Upvote 0

Brqndqn

Oct 24, 2017
    garden grove
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    '76 Mark twain
    Update* I got everything running for the most part. The most important thing being the engine finally got the power it needs. Now on to prepping to start the engine since it’s been sitting for a year. Thank you for all the help

Upvote 0