Boat went down right next to us.

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by Black-is-Back, Jul 3, 2016.

1. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    Good on you for the rescue.As far as comments go about the other boats not responding.Maybe their radios had the volume down or even off ? Maybe they couldnt receive the signal well enough to know what it was.Did the Coast Guard or Lifeguards receive this mayday call ? I know shit happens but if you're going to be floating around in the dark you better make sure you're boat is in top shape.

2. Unassailable

Unassailable Professional Amateur

Name:
    John B
    Boat:
    BW
    Damn, way to go. I saw vessel assist out there in full force on Saturday. Did you happen to change plans and fish LJ on Saturday afternoon? I think you were on the anchor.

3. soul troller

soul troller HMFIC

Name:
    Lou
    Boat:
    Pursuit 2870 WA
    Nice work Dan. I'd say you saved a couple lives for sure. Disturbing to think that many boats would ignore the call for help unless they had their radio off, although Team " I don't give a shit" seems to be growing in So Cal.

When having guests out, i always give a safety spill as we are heading to get bait. Explain the vhf , life jacket, hand held gps , radio, & fire extinguisher location , what to do, how the boat may act if full, etc, etc. Takes a minute or two and i probably leave out alot, but its definitely better than nothing.

Kudos again for helping them out.

4. Black-is-Back

Black-is-Back Wishin i was Fishin

Name:
    Hey you
    Boat:
    245 Fisherman open “Bloody Anarchy”
    We were going to call it if we had to go all the way into MB to drop off the crew but the Lifeguard boat picked the guys up ASAP.

We went back on the hook in our original spot by 3:00am and continued making bait till 7:00a.m.

At that point we had a tank full of squid and mack's so we pointed the boat west and went to the outer Ridge of the 43.

Shortly after getting there we ran out of beer and motivion. We didn't see much life, said screw it and headed for home

No fish for us but my 12year old son Jacob is going to have one hell of a "what did you do this summer story" when he goes back to school. LOL

Unassailable likes this.
  5. MikeeDaGuy

MikeeDaGuy Fishin FIN-Attict

Name:
    Mikee
    Boat:
    12' Klamath Aluminium, 14' Valco
    Just a great story Dan, nice work and kudos's doing what is right. Those guys were dead without you!

Karma is yours big BFT coming your way. . . .

Jacob certainly has the story of stories for his classmates!

6. TAPOUT

TAPOUT Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Cabo 48 FB "Outlaw", Yellowfin 26 Hybrid "Boomer"
    Great job. A lot of people barely know how to operate a boat, much less perform a rescue. (Just go to any ramp on a busy weekend and watch the shit show). Most people probably don't know it's their legal obligation to render assistance if within a reasonable distance. With todays electronics it's as simple as moving the cursor to the lat/lon of the distressed vessel or punching in the way point. There should be a Coast Guard licensing requirement for boaters IMO.

Rendering Assistance (46 USC 2304)

The master or person in charge of a vessel is obligated by law to provide assistance that can be safely provided to any individual in danger at sea . The master or person in charge is subject to a fine and/ or imprisonment for failure to do so .

7. Aki

Aki Newbie

Name:
    Rodney
    Boat:
    14 Livingston
    Dan, good karma is sure to come your way. Great job!

I towed a friend in once. He had engine problems on his 20' Airslot. I towed him in (very slowly) a couple of miles with my 12' Livingstion w/15 hp motor. When I got to the pier, this HUGE Hawaiian guy comes up to me like he wanted to fight. He goes "eh brah, if II ever see you out there & you need help, no worry, I tow you in"

Jim_Arndt likes this.
  8. FishinArmo

FishinArmo Member

Name:
    Avo Oughourlian
    Boat:
    DOS XX
    Thanks for sharing the story and excellent job on the rescue. I will try to learn as much as possible from this experience you had and try to be more prepared.

9. NoLDR

NoLDR OG BD member

Name:
    BRAD
    Boat:
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    GREAT job it's people like you that restore my faith in humanity. When are people and our government going to realize the ocean isn't something you just send people out in with no certification or education? Just because you have the $$$ hardly means you have the ability and or knowledge to be on the water. CLARIFICATION: I am not saying these individuals lacked what I'm suggesting but in the larger picture most don't. So happy to read that all individuals are safe.

NoLDR over and out.

10. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Lee Obvious
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras
    Yep, I did this many years ago, and stuffed/filled a plastic tupaware bowl, and tossed in my ditch bag on my 24' cuddy. Like you said, it was a pain in the ass to get off my hands, but its nice to know i have a tempory fix for a minor to semi large water intrusion.

I keep my radio on scan mode at night, and 16 when in route. Hate 72.

Nice job to the OP on the helping hand. Sounds like the guy on the sinking boat was in a bit of panic mode. The worst thing you can do. Glad you were there to save the day.

One thing i do when I am on my boat(s)...I try and visualize all sorts of possible mishaps that could happen during the trip, and then mentally walk myself through how I would handle them. Never been in anything really bad, but had a few issues on the water that i was glad i was prepared for.

11. apogee

apogee My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic

Name:
    Apogee..
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
    You did good. It is for this reason, my last three boats say Boston Whaler on their side......

12. Jim_Arndt

Jim_Arndt Newbie

Name:
    Jim Arndt
    Boat:
    17' center console
    Yes, even if your volume is turned down all the way, the DSC alarm will ring loudly. So if the VHF is getting annoying when your listening to your Bob Marley CD, don't turn off the VHF, leave it on 24/7 with the volume turned down, in case a DSC alert is sent, you will still hear the ring.

Also remember, commercial vessels are no longer required to maintain a watch on 16 (I think just 13, 1 watt ship to ship?), so a voice call on 16 will likely not be heard by commercial vessels. Your best chance to ensure another boat hears you is press the DSC alert button, then make sure you follow up with a voice call on 16 (every other radio that received your DSC alert should of changed automatically to 16.)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  13. jim isbell

jim isbell I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim Isbell
    Boat:
    19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
    Just to help me understand better--will the DSC alert be received by you, regardless of which channel you are on, or, do you need to be on 16 to receive the alert? Thanks

14. mokahehteh

mokahehteh Waterman

Name:
    Randy
    Boat:
    21' Custom Half Cab
    OP, way to go!!! Hero status.

Listen everyone... "YOU are your brother's keeper". Mic drop.

15. Randy V

Randy V Slamma Jamma

Name:
    Randy
    Boat:
    30' Kona Star
    Props to Black on this solid save!

What type/size boat was it?

No news articles on this? That seems unusual.

Ever determine the cause?

16. Gary Schulte

Gary Schulte Member

Name:
    Gary Schulte
    Boat:
    Proline 20 CC
    If an emergency happens sometimes it's best to untie the anchor line from the boat and tie a life jacket to the line so it can be retrieved later.

[​IMG]

17. Jim_Arndt

Jim_Arndt Newbie

Name:
    Jim Arndt
    Boat:
    17' center console
    Sure. You do not have to be on channel 16 or any specific channel, to receive a dsc call/alert ( assuming you bought your radio after March 2011, which would make it class D.) If you don't have a class D radio, you are very likely to miss a DSC distress call, as you must bo on 70 or "scan" Channel 70. It is illegal to install a non class D radio today, but existing can be remain installed (I'd keep it as a backup and get a new radio.).

So assuming your radio is Class D, it has a second dedicated receiver that constantly monitors channel 70 for dsc messages. Try switching your radio to channel 70, and you can hear the dsc transmissions. You may have to wait a while, as there is surprisingly very little use of dsc. Also notice you cannot transmit/talk on channel 70, all newer radios prevent this since channel 70 was re-purposed for dsc messages only.

So just remember, what channel you tune to is for voice calls only, dsc messages are always sent/received on 70 regardless of what channel you are on.

Updated with class D info.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016