apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
You did good. It is for this reason, my last three boats say Boston Whaler on their side......

Jim_Arndt

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 18, 2006
So Cal
Name
Jim Arndt
Boat
17' center console
So they did not have DSC Radio? One push of a button and it would alerted every boat in range with coordinates.
Yes, even if your volume is turned down all the way, the DSC alarm will ring loudly. So if the VHF is getting annoying when your listening to your Bob Marley CD, don't turn off the VHF, leave it on 24/7 with the volume turned down, in case a DSC alert is sent, you will still hear the ring.

Also remember, commercial vessels are no longer required to maintain a watch on 16 (I think just 13, 1 watt ship to ship?), so a voice call on 16 will likely not be heard by commercial vessels. Your best chance to ensure another boat hears you is press the DSC alert button, then make sure you follow up with a voice call on 16 (every other radio that received your DSC alert should of changed automatically to 16.)

Last edited:

jim isbell

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 25, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Name
Jim Isbell
Boat
19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
Yes, even if your volume is turned down all the way, the DSC alarm will ring loudly. So if the VHF is getting annoying when your listening to your Bob Marley CD, don't turn off the VHF, leave it on 24/7 with the volume turned down, in case a DSC alert is sent, you will still hear the ring.

Also remember, commercial vessels are no longer required to maintain a watch on 16 (I think just 13, 1 watt ship to ship?), so a voice call on 16 will likely not be heard by commercial vessels. Your best chance to ensure another boat hears you is press the DSC alert button, then make sure you follow up with a voice call on 16 (every other radio that received your DSC alert should of changed automatically to 16.)
Just to help me understand better--will the DSC alert be received by you, regardless of which channel you are on, or, do you need to be on 16 to receive the alert? Thanks

Gary Schulte

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 9, 2009
San Diego
Name
Gary Schulte
Boat
Proline 20 CC
If an emergency happens sometimes it's best to untie the anchor line from the boat and tie a life jacket to the line so it can be retrieved later.

Jim_Arndt

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 18, 2006
So Cal
Name
Jim Arndt
Boat
17' center console
Just to help me understand better--will the DSC alert be received by you, regardless of which channel you are on, or, do you need to be on 16 to receive the alert? Thanks
Sure. You do not have to be on channel 16 or any specific channel, to receive a dsc call/alert ( assuming you bought your radio after March 2011, which would make it class D.) If you don't have a class D radio, you are very likely to miss a DSC distress call, as you must bo on 70 or "scan" Channel 70. It is illegal to install a non class D radio today, but existing can be remain installed (I'd keep it as a backup and get a new radio.).

So assuming your radio is Class D, it has a second dedicated receiver that constantly monitors channel 70 for dsc messages. Try switching your radio to channel 70, and you can hear the dsc transmissions. You may have to wait a while, as there is surprisingly very little use of dsc. Also notice you cannot transmit/talk on channel 70, all newer radios prevent this since channel 70 was re-purposed for dsc messages only.

So just remember, what channel you tune to is for voice calls only, dsc messages are always sent/received on 70 regardless of what channel you are on.

Updated with class D info.

Last edited: