Black-is-Back

Wishin i was Fishin
Jun 21, 2009
So Cal
Name
Hey you
Boat
245 Fisherman open “Bloody Anarchy”
This Saturday 7-2-16 at 1:30am we responded to a distress call of a vessel taking on water off of La Jolla. We had 300' of anchor line out and we were making bait for chasing tuna. By the time we got the anchor in and cleared all lines the boat in distress was charging straight at us blasting an air horn and screaming for help.

3 men were on board and were freaking out. We asked them where the water was entering the hull and they said they couldn't figure it out. We ran down a list of other things to look for but he said they had already checked everything we suggested. We instructed them to pull the plug, gun the throttle and we would follow to assist. The owner striped down, jumped in and failed to pull the plug, "no life vest" At this point the water was half way up the engine cowling and just below transom.

The captain gets back in the boat and asks me to tie off to his boat and tow him in. I tell him no way, that's not going to happen as that would put my crew and I at risk of also sinking. Less than a minute latter water starts poring over the transom and the boat quickly starts going down. We are yelling at them to get away from the boat but they all hang on to the boat until the bow goes straight up and rolls over.

The captain bails and swims over to us leaving his father in the water flailing around with a half on life jacket. By the time the father got close enough for me to grab his hand he was going under and choking on water. He wouldn't have made it another 5'.

At this point we realized the 3rd person is nowhere to be seen and the captain is screaming his name out. He finally pops up next to the sinking boat and manages to swim over to us. I don't believe he would have Made it much longer as well. We get them all on board and wrapped them in blankets. I jumped on Ch16 and informed them that all three occupants had been pulled from the water and were safe. 30 minutes later a life guard boat met up with us and we transferred the men to the life guard boat.

Lessons learned from this shit show.

Make sure you know your boat inside and out and are able to trouble shoot and deal with water entering the hull.

If you are going to take people out on your boat that are old, out of shape and can barely swim. Make sure they have a proper fitting life jacket and wear the frigging thing.

Last but not least. There were at least 7 other boats in the area on the hook making bait and fishing. not one of those boats responded to the distress calls that the sinking boat was making on 72 or 16. nada, zip zilch!
Not a single offer to assist or help these guys.

Make sure you have your shit together boys.

You truly are on your own out there...

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
Wow, on so many levels.

Glad you were there to help.

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Huge HUGE props to you Dan!!!

What you did is what every boater should do while on the water and hearing a distress call that is within their capability to help.

I will drop pretty much everything to help a fellow boater whos boat is going down! I don't care if it's my worst enemy, that's what we are suppose to do as fellow boaters! We take big risks everytime we go out offshore, and it's just the right thing to do to look out for each other and have each others back if something very bad is going down.

Can't even express to you how much I think what you did was way special, and yet it's what we all should do in the same circumstance.

Chaps my hide hearing you say that others were nearby and yet nobody else came to assist....... fking lame man!

Kudos brother....... you did something very special...... you without a question saved a life or two or three!!

Things can go REALLY wrong really quick out there....... please guys, lookout for each other and HELP when someone is in distress.... it could be you!

Happy soon to be 4th of July to all....... be safe!!!

The unknown fisherman:p:

Last edited:

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
Sep 8, 2010
San Diego 92117
Name
B-MAN
Boat
Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Ships & Giggles (32' double decker pontoon)
over the years I have assisted in many distress calls... even wile on a wide open tuna bite!! there is never even a question that I WILL help!! it amazes me that no one else responded to that... plain and simple it could be me out there one day needing help and I would hope some one out there has the same mind set as I do!! Black-is-Back you have mucho good fishing karma coming your way for this!! glad you where there or this could have easily been a body recovery operation for the coast guard!

Reactions: dorado50

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
Sep 8, 2010
San Diego 92117
Name
B-MAN
Boat
Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Ships & Giggles (32' double decker pontoon)
Huge HUGE props to you Dan!!!

What you did is what every boater should do while on the water and hearing a distress call that is within their capability to help.

I will drop pretty much everything to help a fellow boater whos boat is going down! I don't care if it's my worst enemy, that's what we are suppose to do as fellow boaters! We take big risks everytime we go out offshore, and it's just the right thing to do to look out for each other and have each others back of something very bad is going down.

Can't even express to you how much I think what you did was way special, and yet it's what we all should do in the same circumstance.

Chaps my hide hearing you say that others were nearby and yet nobody else came to assist....... fking lame man!

Kudos brother....... you did something very special...... you without a question saved a life or two or three!!

Things can go REALLY wrong really quick out there....... please guys, lookout for each other and HELP when someone is in distress.... it could be you!

Happy soon to be 4th of July to all....... be safe!!!

X2 big time!!

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Just curious Dan, I read it again........ was there really about 7 other boats making bait at 1:30am in the morning, or was that a typo?

divedemo

Divedemo
Jun 21, 2003
Casa de Oro
Visit site
Name
Bernie
Boat
None
Great job Dan! I was out yesterday with your buddy Dave. I always find it hard to understand people who get on the radio to just tie up the channel with constant BS. Perhaps no one else heard them because some guy just has to yell "wasabee" or some carp on the radio. That radio is NOT a toy its there for the event you just responded too. You really did save those peoples lives.

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Great job Dan! I was out yesterday with your buddy Dave. I always find it hard to understand people who get on the radio to just tie up the channel with constant BS. Perhaps no one else heard them because some guy just has to yell "wasabee" or some carp on the radio. That radio is NOT a toy its there for the event you just responded too. You really did save those peoples lives.
Bernie ~ I am SO glad you said this! I was going to but held back.

This has been a pet peeve of mine for countless years! It chaps my hide when people use the radio as a toy! It's a lifeline guys, and if you want to play games then get a walkie talkie and disperse them among your buddies and play away all day, but stop screwing around on the VHF, because somebodies life could depend on it, and it might just one day be yours, your buddies, or your kids!!!

I've always said and thought this. If my boat were going down during the summer season (god forbid), I might very well be inclined to make a quick mayday call on CH-72 first. Yes I know that's not the preferred way, but my reason being is that once your are in that water in the middle of the ocean and miles from nowhere, the biggest thing crossing your mind is I want out of this water ASAP!! Everything leading up to that is probably near panic!

My opinion and thought is that by calling out on CH-72 and quickly giving location, my chances of getting plucked out of that water quickly should be pretty good due to the number of boats fishing nearby and listening to that channel......... then again, that is only if they take it on to help a fellow boater in distress.

Please don't play with the radio guys, and also try not to jam up CH-72 with lengthy conversation. Quick info and stuff is cool, but if it's going to be long chats, then take it to another channel please.

It's all fun and games out there until one of us finds ourselves in a very dire and scary situation, and that's when we need to step up and watch each others backs.

Black-is-Back

Wishin i was Fishin
Jun 21, 2009
So Cal
Name
Hey you
Boat
245 Fisherman open “Bloody Anarchy”
Just curious Dan, I read it again........ was there really about 7 other boats making bait at 1:30am in the morning, or was that a typo?

Yes Mike, atleast 7 other boats.

We were in approximately 120' of water and were the closest boat to shore other than some kayakers.

Most of the other Boats were further out, I think about the 200'/250' line.

Crazy thing is, the boat in distress was also out at the 200'/250' line among the other boats.

I think once he realized the boats around him were not responding or going to assist, he decided to try and beach the boat. We were flashing headlamps and flashlights at him trying to get his attention and he ran straight for us.

In regards to channel 72. Had he not made the distress call on 72 we would not have heard him as that was the channel we were monitoring.

He did not give out coordinates. While we were trying to pull anchor, we were waiting and hoping he would shoot a flare so we could get a lock on his position. Don't know if he didn't have any or was just too panicked to do so.

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
Bernie ~ I am SO glad you said this! I was going to but held back.

My opinion and thought is that by calling out on CH-72 and quickly giving location, my chances of getting plucked out of that water quickly should be pretty good due to the number of boats fishing nearby and listening to that channel......... then again, that is only if they take it on to help a fellow boater in distress.

Please don't play with the radio guys, and also try not to jam up CH-72 with lengthy conversation. Quick info and stuff is cool, but if it's going to be long chats, then take it to another channel please.

It's all fun and games out there until one of us finds ourselves in a very dire and scary situation, and that's when we need to step up and watch each others backs.

So they did not have DSC Radio? One push of a button and it would alerted every boat in range with coordinates.

Last edited:
Reactions: Willdoggy

SEA SNIPER

#willfish4tacos
Feb 4, 2015
TEMECULA
Name
CHIP
Boat
REEL THERAPY EDGEWATER 26 CC
Wow......Dan, STRONG work man! ! Absolute HERO status for sure. You guys made a difference yesterday & saved some lives! The world could use more people like you!:appl:
Tight Lines!

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
Awesome, great job....

NATIVE

Deeper and Faster
Apr 2, 2008
Earth
Name
'Smitty'
Boat
BaseCamp Parker 2520
This Saturday 7-2-16 at 1:30am we responded to a distress call of a vessel taking on water off of La Jolla. We had 300' of anchor line out and we were making bait for chasing tuna. By the time we got the anchor in and cleared all lines the boat in distress was charging straight at us blasting an air horn and screaming for help.

3 men were on board and were freaking out. We asked them where the water was entering the hull and they said they couldn't figure it out. We ran down a list of other things to look for but he said they had already checked everything we suggested. We instructed them to pull the plug, gun the throttle and we would follow to assist. The owner striped down, jumped in and failed to pull the plug, "no life vest" At this point the water was half way up the engine cowling and just below transom.

The captain gets back in the boat and asks me to tie off to his boat and tow him in. I tell him no way, that's not going to happen as that would put my crew and I at risk of also sinking. Less than a minute latter water starts poring over the transom and the boat quickly starts going down. We are yelling at them to get away from the boat but they all hang on to the boat until the bow goes straight up and rolls over.

The captain bails and swims over to us leaving his father in the water flailing around with a half on life jacket. By the time the father got close enough for me to grab his hand he was going under and choking on water. He wouldn't have made it another 5'.

At this point we realized the 3rd person is nowhere to be seen and the captain is screaming his name out. He finally pops up next to the sinking boat and manages to swim over to us. I don't believe he would have Made it much longer as well. We get them all on board and wrapped them in blankets. I jumped on Ch16 and informed them that all three occupants had been pulled from the water and were safe. 30 minutes later a life guard boat met up with us and we transferred the men to the life guard boat.

Make sure you know your boat inside and out and are able to trouble shoot and deal with water entering the hull.

If you are going to take people out on your boat that are old, out of shape and can barely swim. Make sure they have a proper fitting life jacket and wear the frigging thing.

Last but not least. There were at least 7 other boats in the area on the hook making bait and fishing. not one of those boats responded to the distress calls that the sinking boat was making on 72 or 16. nada, zip zilch!

Make sure you have your shit together boys.

You truly are on your own out there...

Your a Good Man, SOLID-

jgy

May 29, 2008
SF Bay Area, CA
Name
James
Boat
Looking for a World Cat 320EC (hit me up if you have one for sale)
Good job! Karma Gods will treat you good for saving 3 lives yesterday.

invictus

AVD
May 26, 2006
Orange County
Name
Jason
Boat
Tiara 2000 Cuddy
Did three people a solid, they are fortunate you were there and willing. Well done.

Invictus 42

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
I've been wanting to add a second radio to my boat just for this reason.

I think I'll be purchasing another VHF and antenna...

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
WTG stand up thing to do. Reading this really pisses me off.... you are moraly and LEGALLY obligated to help any boat in distress, period, no if's ands or buts. What the fuck piece of shit would ignore a call for help? Fucking amazing. I believe everything in life works in a circle, what goes around comes back around... not always as fast as I would like it to, but it does. Good things will come to you for your help. Safety should always be your #1 concern and like I always say, follow the CYA rule (cover your ass) because you are the only one you can count on to do it.

jim isbell

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 25, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Name
Jim Isbell
Boat
19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha

Make sure you have your shit together boys. You truly are on your own out there...
First, thanks and even though it may seem obvious--thank you for pointing out that you don't tie to a potentially sinking boat. If you ever are uncertain, and wish to "tie", tie to HIS boat--leave your side free so you can let the damn thing go if you need to.
You got me thinking about all kinds of things--I'm not really ready for:

.....If the guy had not been visible, and he was shouting coordinates, I DO have pad and pencil ready (don't use pen, they dry out), BUT, my skill at "going to" coordinates given SHOULD BE PRACTICED. This is no time for my fing around, trying to figure out how to input a mess of numbers.
....Got me thinking--again, about thru hull fittings, one of, if not the most common reason water floods into boats
....Your comment about older people, or people with problems (of course ad kids, and while we are at it--maybe all of us) to have on the life jacket, they are so small and light, why not?
....Even the thought of your boat being tied to his (I know, you said no), got me thinking about why we are supposed to have a boat knife ready--I use a heavy stainless scissor--so if you need to cut a line, you can do it almost instantly.
....About having a float and 50 feet of line--have it, and have it ready to throw as needed
....Of course EPIRBS, or PLB--and not just have it, but have it on the life jacket; if the boat goes down and no one is around, it SURE WOULD FEEL GREAT, to know you were transmitting, from the drink.
....Last, anytime you hear a story like this you tend to "play the what if game", AND THAT GAME CAN SAVE A LIFE. Thank you for getting the discussion on this going.

Shimano Penn

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat
Fond Memory
All, I have known Dan personally for less than a year but already knew he was a stand up guy. We have fished together on both his boat and mine. This story does not surprise me at all, it's exactly how I'd imagine he would respond to the situation. I was already proud to call him a friend and now, well, my respect has deepened greatly. This is a guy you want on your side.
As for the other boats... I am pretty salty and have done my share of at sea rescues. I consider it an absolute obligation and have dropped everything, including tournament fishing, to assist a boat in distress. I have been disabled at sea and been towed in by a professional six pack on a paid charter. Yes he was a personal friend but he happened to be the closest boat and he saw it as his duty. The paying guests were not happy but they did not fault him. IT IS YOUR JOB gentleman.

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Well done! By their lucky stars you were close enough to them and willing to change the outcome.

A high water alarm should be standard issue. It will likely give you considerably more time to deal with a flooding crisis.