I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 4, 2012
Long Beach, CA
www.facebook.com
Name
Tim Werner
Boat
Carolina Classic 25 & Mako 201
I have a trailered 20' Mako. Jacks don't seem to last very long in and out of salt water.
What marine jack works and lasts?
Thanks for your input.

PassTheSoySauce

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 24, 2014
Name
Brandon Brooks
Boat
1978 Fiber Form Custom
The $30 one from Harbor Freight. I installed mine in 5 minutes and it works great.

J Woodman

I know nothing
Dec 8, 2006
Ventura
Name
Jeff
Boat
15' Gregor Baja Special "Silver Bullet II"
I just buy them cheap from Harbor Freight and replace about every 2 years. Just look at it as trailer maintenance.

Reactions: Tony O'Connell

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
Dutton Lainson sells some heavy duty jacks...

TAPOUT

Sep 17, 2004
San Diego
Name
Erik
Boat
Cabo 48 FB "Outlaw", Yellowfin 26 Hybrid "Boomer"
The ones that work and last are the ones that get rinsed and lubed after a day on the water. It's just never a priority and so they corrode quickly. Trust me, I've learned the hard way.

OILAGER

Hecho en Estados Unidos
Apr 27, 2006
M Class Planet / Riverside
Name
Wayne
Boat
Grady White 228 Seafarer "GOTTA GET'M"
I quit using one after the 4th one died. I use a heavy-duty auto jackstand and carry one of those aluminum floor jacks from Harbor Freight in the tow rig, which doubles as a fast and easy way to change a tire at 3:00 a.m. My boat is too heavy to move around on those things anyways.

brokeass boater

Feb 23, 2010
Norcal's Brentwood
Name
Gregg
Boat
24' Skipjack w/Pilothouse, 21' Marada, 15' Boston Whaler
I just buy them cheap from Harbor Freight and replace about every 2 years. Just look at it as trailer maintenance.
That's about right. I was looking at the square tube with the two piece sliding post. That's the same style,, but bigger,, we have on our 4 horse goose neck trailer. seems to be a better design,,,gregg

polevaults

Jun 4, 2012
Long Beach, CA
www.facebook.com
Name
Tim Werner
Boat
The $30 one from Harbor Freight. I installed mine in 5 minutes and it works great.
By brother has put 2 of those Harbor Freight Jacks on. They lasted 3 months then broke. The handle would turn freely without lifting. After about 1 month it would be very difficult to crank.

polevaults

Jun 4, 2012
Long Beach, CA
www.facebook.com
Name
Tim Werner
Boat
The ones that work and last are the ones that get rinsed and lubed after a day on the water. It's just never a priority and so they corrode quickly. Trust me, I've learned the hard way.
I rinsed and lubed that piece of cap Harbor Freight jack every time.

polevaults

Jun 4, 2012
Long Beach, CA
www.facebook.com
Name
Tim Werner
Boat
My boat is stored in dry storage at the marina and is in and out of the water a lot. The Harbor freight Jacks being rinsed and lubed to the best of my ability (it has no lube fittings) last only 3 months.

polevaults

Jun 4, 2012
Long Beach, CA
www.facebook.com
Name
Tim Werner
Boat
After reading posts and doing some homework I've desidd to go with the Fulton 2 sealed anodized aluminum jack. It can't rust. It's preludes and sealed. It got very good reviews.
Thanks for all the help.
I hope to post updates how it works over the months and years of extended use in salt water being rinsed after each use.

Reactions: Unassailable

KID CREOLE

Sep 19, 2003
San Pedro, Ca.
Visit site
Name
Stefan
Boat
Mako 224 CC, FULL RACK
I set mine up so the jack is removable, mine never gets wet.

I mounted a under bumper hitch receiver on the trailer, got a short piece of 2" square steel tubing and welded it to some channel, the jack mounts to the channel and I uses a receiver hitch pin to keep it in place