boat trailer advise

no excuses

Jun 11, 2012
Oregon/USA
Name
Stan
Boat
sea-doo fish pro
What is your favorite boat trailer and why? Do you have vortex or the vault hubs and likes or dislikes. Aluminum or Galvanized? Buy new or in good shape used and replace bearings ect?

This will be for a 8500# plus rated trailer.
What other brands should I be looking at besides Tuff trailers, Pacific Trailers, Ventures, EZ loader? Locally available only, not driving to Florida for a trailer lol.

Upvote 0

Baby J

Grady prick in training
  • Jul 28, 2017
    Graham, WA
    Name
    Jeremy
    Boat
    Grady White 265 Express Walkaround
    I just had a triple axle trailer built a few months ago. I’d go overkill on axle capacity, dacromat disks electric over hydraulic and heavy duty bunks. Also remember if you go dual axle instead of triple, the boat will sit higher thus needing to go further into the water to launch. I had one built in Florida as aluminum trailers are way cheaper there than on the West coast.

Upvote 0

Baby J

Grady prick in training
  • Jul 28, 2017
    Graham, WA
    Name
    Jeremy
    Boat
    Grady White 265 Express Walkaround
    Shipping trailers from Florida was cheap six months ago but not sure now that fuel prices have gone up so much. I believe a few of the major trailer companies ship to a dealer in Kennewick regularly.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    I like the aluminum I beam trailers. As mentioned above Florida is waaaay cheaper abs they can get it shipped out here many times…. They can also do paperwork, so no tax for Oregon Buyer.

I’ve had two triple axle and one tandem. The 9800lb tandem hauled my Grady 232 and worked well. When making the choice of tandem versus triple I like the tandem for maintenance and replacement part cost. Triple is nice for load balance, but cornering, backing while turning, replacing bearings, hubs and brakes is more on a triple… The triple seems to be harder on bearing when turning while backing as well many time a tire/bearing being shoved by the other two, so it’s skidding across the ground…. Although my triples were needed just due to the weight…

The extra couple of inches in height never effected my ability to launch and overall height was not that close on my application.

Reactions: liltrouble
    Upvote 0

no excuses

Jun 11, 2012
    Oregon/USA
    Name
    Stan
    Boat
    sea-doo fish pro
    I am probably going tandem. Should be less then 7500# of boat and gear weight. Waiting on some bids from Pacific trailers, and Tuff trailers. Will look into some Florida options also.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Rocket trailers in Miami is who built the 21k trailer for my Rampage. Easy to work with. Factory direct not a middleman like Continental and many others…

Reactions: Baby J
    Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
    Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    If I was under 10-11k# boat, trailer, gear, and fuel, I’d go with a heavy duty (8 lug) tandem axle. More than that, you’re probably a 28-30’+ boat and 9-10’ beam. I’d go triple axle.

my Grady and WorldCat had tandem axles and pulled fine. The Lumacat had a triple and towed SOOOO MUCH BETTER. My Allied Wildcat has a triple axle float on and tows very nicely. The third axle also gives me more piece of mind as I worry about blowing a tire or losing a bearing.

Reactions: Baby J
    Upvote 0

koopa

Arima Adventures
    Feb 3, 2018
    Puget sound
    Name
    Koopa
    Boat
    Arima
    I have had good luck with EZ-Loader oil bath hubs. EZ-Loader has/had really good customer service and before the pandemic you get order parts and get them within a day or two with only using UPS ground.

Upvote 0

Swede

Yachtless
  • May 2, 2008
    Pacific Northwest
    Name
    Swede
    Boat
    Kristen Lee
    Rob Hyatt at Defiance has Venture trailers. Exactly what you’re looking for. Give him a call.

Upvote 0

Team Sency

Fish!! Or be Fished!!!
    Jan 6, 2012
    Black Diamond
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    JuiceBox2
    I will chime in…..

I recently purchased a Tuff trailer….#10k tandem on bunks…. It was fairly involved process with measuring and them working with Grady to build it to my boat. They fit the bunks to it and it fits like a glove.

i added two complete assemblies…. If something goes it will be damn near a NASCAR turn around.

Very happy with the purchase.

Upvote 0

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
    May 28, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
    Why does a boat sit higher on a tri-axle trailer?

I’ve been pleased with my EZ Loader, despite it being loaded nearly at capacity. It’s got oil bath hubs that have been trouble-free for 7 years, albeit only about 2,000 miles, but probably 100 dunkings.

As mentioned, customer service and parts availability have been great for me. I ordered all the parts to covert from rollers to bunks factory direct, received them quick. A year-ago I ordered a new fender and some other parts, during the height of the “Stay Home, Stay Safe” shut-downs, and it took a little longer than it used-to, but they communicated the whole time.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Why does a boat sit higher on a tri-axle trailer?

I’ve been pleased with my EZ Loader, despite it being loaded nearly at capacity. It’s got oil bath hubs that have been trouble-free for 7 years, albeit only about 2,000 miles, but probably 100 dunkings.

As mentioned, customer service and parts availability have been great for me. I ordered all the parts to covert from rollers to bunks factory direct, received them quick. A year-ago I ordered a new fender and some other parts, during the height of the “Stay Home, Stay Safe” shut-downs, and it took a little longer than it used-to, but they communicated the whole time.
    Opposite…. The boat sits higher on a tandem… bigger axles and tires for the same rated trailer size…

Upvote 0

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
    May 28, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
    Opposite…. The boat sits higher on a tandem… bigger axles and tires for the same rated trailer size…
    Oops, read that wrong last night. 🙃

Reactions: G-Spot
    Upvote 0