May 13, 2005
San Diego
Name
Name
Boat
Yours
Does anyone have any news on the guy that broke his arm
on 7/24 fishing out of the Old Mill?

We caught bits and pieces of the "rescue" on VHF.

Sounds like the boat rolled in the big swells and
the guys made it to shore on the tip of the Northern point.

libertygoat

Jun 22, 2008
S.C.
Name
Mike
Boat
14' kayak
Don't know anything about it....but I do know w/ the S swell that is a DANGEROUS pass!

Lots of boats get sunk or people hurt who are trying to get out of the bay.

Hope he is not in too bad of shape.

BajaMarita

Fish Reporter
Aug 2, 2007
San Quintin, Baja CA
Name
Marita Melville
Boat
Need a Captain or Boat in San Quintin, let me know.
The guys are fine! The boat sunk when they were on their way back in from fishing. I´m not quite sure of all the details. One guy did break his arm. The guys are ok. They were staying here at Don Eddie´s with us. They were with the group M&K Marine team. The rest of the M&K Marine team are all out fishing today and have been here at the hotel for four days fishing, partying, and having fun. GREAT BUNCH OF GUYS AND A LOT OF FUN!!!!!:gaygroup:

bajadog

Running around knees bent
May 13, 2005
San Diego
Name
Name
Boat
Yours
Thanks Marita!

I just was passing by the area from El Rosaurio
and picked up on the radio traffic. Just wanted
to find out the guys were safe.

Cheers!

DOS BALLENAS

bisque is better
Nov 25, 2005
cardiff
Name
owyn
Boat
15 ft gregor, dos ballenas dos/ yak, fishstix
I saw it happen... Really weird. They ran the boat straight into the rocks on the point. No joke... like they did it on purpose. Really weird... I dont think they knew what they were doing... They were trying to surf some big waves in a ski boat???

Captain Juan SQ

ARLETT DEL MAR.
May 14, 2008
San Quintin BCN mex.
Name
Captain Juan SQ.
Boat
parker 23/20.slaptail.
if you shop around at the old mill village you can find a guide for 50 bucks
fisherman with limited boating expirience need to get one or suffer the consequences of a lack of knowlege,those of you that doo fish and boat and consider youre selfs experts wen you go to an area once a year should get a guide thats in the GRUVE
or you´ll not find the fish you now is there...blind luck plays a roll in it but its a poor substitute for expirience.goodluckgoodfishingtakecare.

aguachico

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
if you shop around at the old mill village you can find a guide for 50 bucks
fisherman with limited boating expirience need to get one or suffer the consequences of a lack of knowlege,those of you that doo fish and boat and consider youre selfs experts wen you go to an area once a year should get a guide thats in the GRUVE
or you´ll not find the fish you now is there...blind luck plays a roll in it but its a poor substitute for expirience.goodluckgoodfishingtakecare.
So true Juan, even if you can follow a panga out you have to get over the sand bar, then you have to come back over the sand bar on the way in. After all those tests - you still have to find the channel to get back to the landing. Better to hire a guide.

Grand Slam

Sep 27, 2006
Poway, CA.
Name
Bob Hughes
Boat
20 ft. Custom Sportfisher
I agree %100 with Juan.......... A Captain not only gets you in and out safe, but puts you on fish alot better than you will do solo. I've been in & out of that bay 100 times and I still wont do it with out a Captain. Good Luck............

4x4fisher

Jan 10, 2009
Lebec CA USA
Name
Dennis
Boat
BIG LOG
I WAS THERE AND ON THE BOAT THAT BROUGHT THEM IN, THEY MADE AN ERROR IN JUDGMENT AND IT COST THEM, BUT ONE BROKEN ARM AND A LOST BOAT IS A SMALL PRICE TO PAY IF YOU GET TO GO HOME. OUR THANKS TO SOME SURFERS ON JET SKIS WITH SLEDS.

Steel Leader

Liquid Therapy
Aug 29, 2005
san diego
www.facebook.com
Name
marcus
Boat
27' seastar flybridge diesel
on time at san q, I had to make it into the bay with a spun prop hub, and a fully loaded boat, The only way to make headway was to surf the swells into the entrace. I fluctuated from like 4 kts to 30 knts, I have navigated that bay about four times now and I can tell you it takes years off your life if you don't have somebody to follow or hire a guide!

padsfan

Sep 6, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris
Boat
prowler 13
I was there too. Those guys were very lucky that the tow in surfers were there to help out. I would have taken them back to SQ in my truck but it's an hour down a beach and dusty road. Later I was shocked to find out that all the other surfers (aside from Dos Ballenas I think) camped at the point refused to help them. Shame on them!

Luckily a Mexican guy drove by and had a cell phone to call someone to pick them up. We bandaged the kid with the broken arm up and helped him get on the jet ski. That guy was a real trooper and didn't complain the whole time!

This was a true lesson- never forget the power of the ocean!

alwaysbendo

Jun 28, 2007
El segundo
Name
Vinnnnn
Boat
23' seacraft
"wen you go to an area once a year should get a guide thats in the GRUVE
or you´ll not find the fish you now is there..."

pretty dam true...

strikezone 1

Oct 14, 2007
downey
Name
joshua hendricks
Boat
23 keywest strikezone
we found the boat the next morning and there was nothing left. just the bottom shell. the only thing left in the boat was the gas tank. the mexicans up righted it and pumped it out then pulled it in. i didnt take any pics of it but im sure someone from our group will post them. they put a way point into the gps that was on the inside of the bay and then didnt go around the point.

Jul 19, 2009
SD/CA/USA
Name
Headless
Boat
Fast Boat
No problem for the jet ski assistance. One of Kelly's sons from K&M Sportfishing grabbed our attention, told us the situation, and took our surfboards so we could pull the injured group off the beach and over to a boat. Thanks is better directed to Kelly's son for getting the rescue going from the water. I know the sons also assisted with a capsized boat a couple years back.

Since they seem to look out for everyone, maybe booking a trip with them one of these times versus trailering your own boat down would be a cool thing to do.

km-fishing.com