boat size tips

Apr 21, 2020
Windsor, CA
Name
roger lees
Boat
gregor 12'
Hello,
I am headed down to San Diego in a week and hope to spend some time chasing tuna and yellowtail. I grew up fishing down there but have been in N. Cal for 40 years. I have a 23' Alumaweld center console. It is an awesome fishing boat. My question is, having not fished there in years, and of course watching the seas and the winds, how far off shore is a reasonable distance in a 23' boat?
Thanks!

Apr 21, 2020
Windsor, CA
Name
roger lees
Boat
gregor 12'
Hello,
I am headed down to San Diego in a week and hope to spend some time chasing tuna and yellowtail. I grew up fishing down there but have been in N. Cal for 40 years. I have a 23' Alumaweld center console. It is an awesome fishing boat. My question is, having not fished there in years, and of course watching the seas and the winds, how far off shore is a reasonable distance in a 23' boat?
Thanks!

Upvote 0
Apr 21, 2020
Windsor, CA
Name
roger lees
Boat
gregor 12'
I got this 30.5 lb salmon last season. Just me ,my dog, a barbless hook and a good cigar! I also got a 28#. So my boat(I bought it in San Diego last April) seems to have good fishing mojo!

30 lb salmon.jpg

Upvote 0

tunacraze

• Nov 27, 2006
    Santee
    Name
    Steve Brunton
    Boat
    The Big Ones
    Well, Fuel, power, weather, electronics, towing, safety gear, and your knowledge of the boat all come to mind as variables here. I think we need more info, but it sounds like the local banks. 9 mile, 182, 43, 226, 302, 371, 425, upper hidden would be your range.

Reactions: repo805
    Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    If you have to ask . . .
    Depends greatly on the boat, but also on your experience. If the boat is seaworthy, take it a step at a time -- a few hours in the bay during the day with flat seas and no wind, gradually progressing until you are confident in your ability and that of the boat to be 12 hours offshore, at night, in weather that turns unexpectedly bad, while experiencing engine failure or any other imaginable problem.

Upvote 0

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    Out on 1/3 tank, home on 2/3. Or have a fuel plan and 2x what you need to get back.

I go 60 mi offshore no problem in a 20’ weather permitting. The way things are going it looks like you won’t need to run that far. If it is a long run to the fish you can follow a heavier boat out, pick one up on the radio at the bait barge if you can. Networking on BD a few days out or on the radio day of can help you find some friends for fun and safety on the water.

Reactions: Mickeyfin
    Upvote 0
    Apr 21, 2020
    Windsor, CA
    Name
    roger lees
    Boat
    gregor 12'
    Well, Fuel, power, weather, electronics, towing, safety gear, and your knowledge of the boat all come to mind as variables here. I think we need more info, but it sounds like the local banks. 9 mile, 182, 43, 226, 302, 371, 425, upper hidden would be your range.
    Thank you all for the replies. I have considered everything mentioned. Fishing here (out of Bodega or Golden Gate) I must pay attention to the weather. I have all safety gear(EPERB and raft, radio, GPS, PLB and all GG required items), will not take more than 4 (me included). I will do as I have done here and check weather ,swell, etc. And if I can hook up with a bigger boat to follow out, all the better. My boat is 23' Alumaweld (1997)center console, near new (306 hrs) 150 HP Honda.
    I have fished as far as 3 miles or so off shore here in my 12' Klamath(since sold) so I know how important it is to know the sea.
    Again, thank you all for the feed back, it is greatly appreciated.
    Roger

Upvote 0

Cheese Burt

Jun 8, 2021
    San Diego
    Name
    Charlie Cohen
    Boat
    Who ever will take me out
    You could fish if weather permits, LJ, 9 mile bank, 302, 226, 425, 43, corner, rockpile, upper hidden bank, and the coronados. Looks like you want have to go to far this year for the tuna.

Upvote 0

Latest posts