Boat Show Purchase Thunder Jet

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by Chisow, Jan 29, 2018.

1. goatram

goatram Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest

Name:
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat:
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    Ask them to add. They should be able to do them. You don't need the rubber on the inside. A 2" or 3" section of pipe added on to the back at the drain hole with a flapper. Stick a small zinc tab on it. That pic fishing fanatic Jason posted is the idea. Defiance has them on their boats at the show as does Katana Marine. Look at Wooldridge and Lifeboat for a different style even easier. A pipe and a sock that is sewn up flat that slips over the pipe and clamped up with hose clamps. The other side is larger flaired out and has a seam sewed down the middle to keep it flat. Water goes out from the inside but the flatness prevents water flow in. The flap will move up or down with the wave action.

Thunderjet makes a good looking boat. I too almost bought a Hewescraft from Tom and Jerry's in 2008. I got my used 2004 NR Seahawk instead. $8000 cheaper. Spent $8000 at the old Monroe Sportsman's Show to outfit it. Rods and reels, pot puller, shrimp and crab pots, life vests auto inflate, Scotty DRs. That shit adds up quick. And then throw on new electronics for another ten grand.

Your choice of the 4G radar might be over kill. Look at the 3G and talk to Lowrance about the real world differences. You won't use the added range do to the right of your radar mount. While your at it stick an Autopilot in the boat. You will be glad you did. Enjoy!

gabe0308, Chisow and Titan like this.
  2. Fireball

Fireball Not so New

Name:
    Bud
    Boat:
    SOLD
    If they are building it out for you send them a copy of the photos posted and request these. Even if it cost a couple extra $$ it will be well worth it.

3. Chisow

Chisow Member

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    Dreaming of one.
    Goat, Thanks for the input brother.
    Its really hard because I am going through Tracker Marine to get a boat built to specs from Thunder Jet. So getting pics of the build and passing along great ideas that you guys suggest is not the easiest but I am working on them lol.
    Will take a look at those other boats at the boat show today and see if I can not get the Thunder jet guys to take a look with me.
    If not I might have to take them off and have someone weld the other style on for me.
    Thanks for all the info guys I absolutely welcome any and all suggestions that you have learned in your boat buying experiences to help me do it right the first time.

4. tacklejacked

tacklejacked Capt./ Ho if I get to drive

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
    Tj likes their carpet. Just say no to carpet. If you already haven't.

goatram and Chisow like this.
  5. 9/0NASTY

9/0NASTY TEAM AWESOME

Name:
    Don
    Boat:
    24' NR Seahawk O/S BALLSDEEP
    I have a 24' NR Seahawk O/S, It came with a 200 Yamaha and was a absolute dog when the boat was loaded down. down right nerve racking when bad weather came in on you and the waves wanted to swamp you. I upgraded to a 300 Etec and have never had a problem since and my fuel economy is awesome compared to a 200 working its ass off. I cruise faster and burn less gas!

Chisow likes this.
  6. Chisow

Chisow Member

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    Dreaming of one.
    No carpet for us. Its all diamond plate on the back and top.
    Thanks Greg.

7. Chisow

Chisow Member

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    Dreaming of one.
    Yep I am going with the Verado 350. So I will have more than enough power to do anything I want or need to do.

8. 9/0NASTY

9/0NASTY TEAM AWESOME

Name:
    Don
    Boat:
    24' NR Seahawk O/S BALLSDEEP
    If they would have made a bigger motor I would have maxed out the power rating of my boat!

9. BugeaterInWa

BugeaterInWa Fear the Corn

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    Boulton
    Its your money bro. If they don't want to make it the way you want it, someone else will.

If you have someone else cut it off and weld on new, it could void a warranty... me thinks you don't want to void the warranty...

10. Captain Decent

Captain Decent I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    Bertram 31 “Fast n Loose” 18ft Starcraft Pontoon for the wimenz
    Should flat out rip. Plus at a bare minimum the Verados are the coolest looking motor on the market.

Plus murican made...

11. Swede

Swede Yachtless

Name:
    Swede
    Boat:
    Kristen Lee
    If you go to the boat show again, talk to @DEEP MAGIK (Mike) at the Raymarine booth and he can spec a whole system out for you as another option. Something to consider.

gabe0308, Chisow and BugeaterInWa like this.
  12. Chisow

Chisow Member

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    Dreaming of one.
    Swede, I am going to the boat show this Friday. I plan on doing a lot more research on all the extra goodies so will absolutely go talk to Mike at Raymarine.
    I will talk to Lowrance, Mercury, Scotty, and any other places I can think of going that I might want to add to my boat.
    I know I want to find any and all safety stuff for my boat too. Like a inflatable safety raft to go up top and EPIRB most likely. If running out for Tuna I want to have everything that helps me in case of an emergency. As the captain of my boat I live by the adage "Failing to plan is planning to fail" (Benjamin Franklin). Especially since my boat will have friends and family on board.

lucerunner likes this.
  13. JTC

JTC Too Sirius

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    24' North River O/S. SIRIUS FISHIN
    Shortly after that photo of Chris’ scupper was taken both Tony and I had three rivers remove our ping pong balls and replace with flappers just like Chris, and all new north rivers have

moravec and Gooch Larue like this.
  14. gabe0308

gabe0308 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Gabe
    Boat:
    SAANAUK' (SEASPORT 24XL), Tlingit Princess (20' Wooldridge Sport Offshore)
    I would work up a spreadsheet of everything you need for the boat minus electronics and send it to a few places and see what the best deal they are willing to offer. I did that and ended up getting a great deal from LFS for Downriggers, pot puller, safety equipment, etc.

15. Chisow

Chisow Member

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    Dreaming of one.
    Thanks to everyone that has added valuable insight and time to this post.
    Right now I am beyond pissed. I talked with Bugeaterinwa moments after finding all this out. So I am trying to write without emotion.
    It appears I am no longer getting this boat.
    I do not want to go into specifics or say something out of emotion, I will just say not purchasing this boat is in no way my doing. I have the money, credit, and desire.
    I am hoping that they (Bass pro, Tracker Marine, or Thunderjet) can do something to help remedy their issue.
    Crossing Fingers that I will be in a boat by this Halibut Season that meets my needs.

FishPimpII and BugeaterInWa like this.
  16. TwoTapPat

TwoTapPat Oh ya that's jazzy

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    High on the Goat
    Damn that blows. Hopefully you get something worked out.

17. Swede

Swede Yachtless

Name:
    Swede
    Boat:
    Kristen Lee
    moravec, gabe0308 and Chisow like this.
  18. BugeaterInWa

BugeaterInWa Fear the Corn

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    Boulton
    You know I'd call them and make them feel like DOG SHIT for doing this to YOU! Oh, I'd let them know about you and let them have it!

Your too proud/humble to let me do it though.

19. Chisow

Chisow Member

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    Dreaming of one.
    :cheers:Appreciate it Matt but its just another lesson in life. I should of just kept with the Hewescraft 240 LOL.
    Lesson Learned.
    Josh the Manager to Tracker is trying to make it up to me. Its absolutely not his fault and he is just as mad as I am.
    They are offering me a 26 foot Pilot house at a significant discount.
    All things for a reason and hopefully that reason is revealed soon lol.

FishPimpII and BugeaterInWa like this.
  20. Fireball

Fireball Not so New

Name:
    Bud
    Boat:
    SOLD
    James you have done your home work and seem to have a good handle on what you want. Things do happen for a reason and I sure the hell hope you find a better deal at the boat show and are ready for the halibut season.

If you can look on the bright side at least you found out before the show was over. Lots of dealers that will take care of you.

Good luck with the hunt!

Chisow, BugeaterInWa and gabe0308 like this.