Boat Senor Hefe Trapped in Korean / Mexican Tuna Seiner Pen

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by newped, Jul 20, 2008.

1. spike

spike Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Spike Ivins
    Boat:
    any chance I get
    Its funny how one persons stupidity gets so much positve feed back. Seems to me they had their head up their ass, things could have ended alot worse, and may still.

2. sickcat

sickcat Silverback

Name:
    Kerry
    Boat:
    Yellow spot
    While I would not word it as strongly as Spike certainly the pen crews and the Mexican navy as well as the coasties deserve a big thank you for helping that boat out of a boneheaded move. Good that the boat and crew made it home with no one hurt and only minimal damage.

3. Gary Bobel

Gary Bobel Newbie

Name:
    Gary Bobel
    Boat:
    28'20 Parker Highly Bendable
    Like I said the pen wasnt lit it could have happened to you or anyone....I feel very lucky.. Thier needs to be a law of some sort that requires proper lighting...

4. Troy

Troy Under the Radar

Name:
    Troy
    Boat:
    Pez Loco
    I tend to agree with you Spike. Sucks to play armchair QB on these guys but it's hard to believe they couldn't have seen that thing. I'm assuming that boat had radar and someone should have been paying close attention to it. My piece of crap 15 year old radar picks up no wake bouys and kayakers not to mention seiners and tuna pens. Glad it turned out OK however.

5. clyde

clyde Newbie

Name:
    Clyde
    Boat:
    Jeff's
    Spike, remind me not to have him on on our wheel watch.

6. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    deleted

7. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Angler/Client

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    not crazy enough yet
    Just goes to show you TRUTH IS STRANGER THAN FICTION once again.

8. spike

spike Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Spike Ivins
    Boat:
    any chance I get
    See if you can spot the radar reflector.

[​IMG]

I bet there was some sort of Nav. light with it. It was only an accident, and I agree it could happen to anyone, yes worse things have happened, and no this is not "internet armageddon". I'll I hope is that folks learn from this mistake and I appreciate the thread.

Troy, I am sorry, I know how much it pains you to agree with me.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/of...rn-california-usa/112924-se-hefe-alright.html

9. Whamo22

Whamo22 Newbie

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    Yours
    Wow thats soooo insane man! lmao! atleast the coasties came and helped you out. I can't even imagined what would of happened if they didn't help in the situation.

10. Troy

Troy Under the Radar

Name:
    Troy
    Boat:
    Pez Loco
    2 o'clock?

I'm not pained. Common sense is common sense even when it comes from uncommon people.

11. CapeCod

CapeCod Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    not mine
    Like the one line the colregs that states having an all around white light and the diamond shaped day shape you almost ran right over. The boats towing the pens that i have seen have proper towing lights and most have RAM lights too. You should feel very lucky man.... very lucky no one was hurt or killed. So I have a few questions for you...
    Why were you passing so close to a vessel to another vessel at night anyway?
    Do you have binoculars on the bridge or do you know how to use them? Does your radar not work or do you not know how to use that either?
    It is reckless operators like the guy on watch that hit that tuna pen (on a calm well lit night to boot) that are a danger out there... not the tuna pens.
    And as to this happening to anyone.... yeah anyone that isn't competent enough to stand a wheel watch!!
    So to all you "skippers" out there please learn from this guys stupidity...
    At night there is no reason to get any closer than a 1/2 mile to another vessel. I try to give myself a mile if I can... Use your binoculars... a target on your radar is intermittent or close look at it with the binos. Not that hard. And if it gets congested pull the throttles back a bit to figure out whats really going on.
    Well the boys on the Senior hefe (you might want to rename your vessel) seem awful proud of their accomplishment... I hope those fish were worth it. I also hope you guys know a lawyer that is up on maritime law......

12. Abking

Abking Newbie

Name:
    Eric Stockwell
    Boat:
    Kayaks - X-Factor primarily
  13. Kelp King

Kelp King Newbie

Name:
    Sam
    Boat:
    kayak
    fuckin' wade...:rolleyes:

14. Kingspear

Kingspear Newbie

Name:
    E
    Boat:
    None
    Excuse my not knowing but what would have happened if the Mexican Feds Boarded the boat?

15. *Technician*

*Technician* Newbie

Name:
    Will Katchum
    Boat:
    Ditmar/Donaldson
    As a local Capt/Crewmember, I have a few things to say...

I heard this whole thing go down on 16/22. Funny your not calling them "Tuna Rings" Anymore huh? I`m gonna say BS on the 12kts per hr/ NO F`IN WAY. When the Coast Guard asked The ring Commander was the Pen lit & someone (from the Hefe) said yes, it`s ALL RECORDED. I`m gonna say BS on that too, you`ll hear it again in Court.

Before the Fish bit, you guys bit hard on the "go ahead & catch 2" Wondering why??? So the Gun Boat could get up to you, DUMBSHIT. Your Lucky the Coast Guard helped out, if you had a brain, chances are they would NOT have. Life & Property is all they have to protect, Not foolishness.

You`ll be dealing with Frank & SAC, rest assured. I`d be more worried (physically) about 200+ angry Crewmembers, that are only working 2-3 days a week. This includes, but not limited to Boat Owners, Captains, Deckhands, Cooks & even the Bunk Crews. I wouldn`t park your Truck (or Prius) anywhere near the Docks if I were you.

Wanna know the "kicker" ??? One of you guys were actually Foolish enough to post pics, including Fillets. ABSOLUTELY INSANE. Intelligent people learn form their mistakes, not continue to make them, as in Fishing in the Pen &posting Fillet Pics.

Good luck around the Docks buddy, specially the guys in the pics. You just FUCKED THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY.

16. I hate seals

I hate seals Advertiser Advertiser

Name:
    Bryan Z
    Boat:
    36' Hatteras
    Well said, the repocusions of this incident are just beginning.

17. The Saltiest

The Saltiest Bloodydecks P/V

Name:
    Sol
    Boat:
    1968 Coupe de Ville
    that has gotta be one of the most insane posts here ever.

18. 4v1df12h1ng

4v1df12h1ng Sensei

Name:
    Who
    Boat:
    yes pls
    I read your story on PCS last year issue. I was wondering when your story will coming out on BD..

19. Kurt

Kurt Mistadobalina

Name:
    Kurt
    Boat:
    %%%%%
    Ha, I've been a member on this other site for a billion years. Here is the link back

BoaterEd

20. ConSeaMate

ConSeaMate Legend in my own mind

Name:
    Buster Brown
    Boat:
    28' Silverton "ConSeaMate"
    REDRUM......................