Freshie
Aug 6, 2003
Chula Vista
Visit site
Name
Jarrod
Boat
24 Diesel Skipjack Flybridge
Sorry, I wasn't being sarcastic or facetious. But apparently it came off that way. I was saying that legitimately I had the guys with me for 4 hours and couldn't get much out of them. I have no clue what happened.
And VERY Sorry for my wise-assery!

:)

These guys fucked up for sure. It was literally four and a half minutes from the time they passed way too close to us slow trolling to when they were capsized.

That bow shot up and you KNEW that boat was FULL of water.

I must have checked the bilge 20 times on the way home!

Good on you guys for picking them up. You guys reacted really fast and handled the situation REALLY WELL!

Baja Belk is DEFINITELY the type of person you want out on the open water! Good to know there are people like you on the water!

As far as the other two nimrods that sank their boat. I'm sure they will have a false story for their insurance company that relieves them of liability.

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    If the drain plug was forgotten the boat would’ve been full of water upon launch Let alone idling through the Harbor, bait system theory sounds more realistic to me

Upvote 0

cvjarrod

Freshie
    Aug 6, 2003
    Chula Vista
    Visit site
    Name
    Jarrod
    Boat
    24 Diesel Skipjack Flybridge
    If the drain plug was forgotten the boat would’ve been full of water upon launch Let alone idling through the Harbor, bait system theory sounds more realistic
    Agreed.

Could also have been anything else connected to the thru hull fitting, like a wash down pump.

It must have been something attached to a thru hull fitting to sink the boat in under 5 minutes.

What a bummer if this boat sank because they did not double up on hose clamps!

TWO HOSE CLAMPS ON ANYTHING IN THE BILGE!

Upvote 0

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
    Nov 28, 2003
    in the Hood
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Franks ho
    When BB said the 2 were tight lipped when they were aboard his boat says a lot.
    I bet it was something pretty trivial.

Vigilant32

BightPatrol
    Nov 9, 2004
    Name
    G
    Boat
    I’ve seen several nice sea worth boats that flipped/sank/etc due to faulty Rule cartridge style bait pumps. One of the dumbest designs in marine vendor history.

Upvote 0

Dream to fish

Deck Swaby
    Jul 25, 2009
    Hell, CA
    Name
    Phil
    Boat
    20' Beachcraft Cuddy
    I’ve seen several nice sea worth boats that flipped/sank/etc due to faulty Rule cartridge style bait pumps. One of the dumbest designs in marine vendor history.
    Isn't that what through hull fittings with shut off valves are for? They only work if you actually close them when there's a problem...

Upvote 0

Vigilant32

BightPatrol
    Nov 9, 2004
    Name
    G
    Boat
    Isn't that what through hull fittings with shut off valves are for? They only work if you actually close them when there's a problem...
    Yes, but if you don’t know it’s leaking until too late because you didn’t see your bilge pump screaming or didn’t have a high water alarm installed, then your upside down before you can shut the valve. Or is your valve is old and corroded and stuck open…

Reactions: CRC_222
    Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Sep 19, 2003
    San Pedro, Ca.
    www.yayacalls.com
    Name
    Stefan
    Boat
    Grady White 263 Chase
    Every boat should have bilge pumps capable of pumping out twice the water of the bait pumps it has in the bilge.

I have two Rule 1100 cartridge bait pumps on two different thru hulls, and three 2000 GPH bilge pumps and high water alarm

Upvote 0

Dream to fish

Deck Swaby
    Jul 25, 2009
    Hell, CA
    Name
    Phil
    Boat
    20' Beachcraft Cuddy
    Every boat should have bilge pumps capable of pumping out twice the water of the bait pumps it has in the bilge.

I have two Rule 1100 cartridge bait pumps on two different thru hulls, and three 2000 GPH bilge pumps and high water alarm
    That's a serious amount of pumps! Nobody can say that's a bad thing. But wow...

Upvote 0

HookEmDanO

Huhuhuge member
  • Jan 31, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Dan-O
    Boat
    1997 Trophy 2352
    I have 2 mid bilge pumps a 500 and 1500

in the rear bilge, also 2... a 1000 and a 2000

all set for auto AND manual AND 2 bright red lights on the dash

hey, its a bayliner
    lol.gif

BUT none of them have even gone off while out on the water...only in the front yard for testing

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    I have that type of bait pump on my boat and it’s always bugged me, What’s the best pump to replace it?

Upvote 0

Otto

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 1, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
    Boat
    19 SeaPro
    I have that type of bait pump on my boat and it’s always bugged me, What’s the best pump to replace it?
    If that cartridge snaps in like it should, I don't suspect any problems. I have a new powerful bildge pump.

Upvote 0