Boat sale - What would you do?

What would you do?

• Pay full price commission every time

• Create a long lasting broker relationship with an established customer commission schedule

• One time commission adjustment since the boats not for sale

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

pthein

Dorado
May 14, 2006
SF
Name
Phil
Boat
35' Cabo / Intrepid
Hypothetically

Broker that you bought a boat from approaches you with someone that wants to buy your boat. Boat is not for sale - Your happy with the boat and don’t want, need or were even thinking of selling the boat. But every boat has its price. Broker says I can get you that price but also asks for full commission. No sales listing created, no fielding multiple inquiries and showings etc, just a quick simple sale.

You fully understand brokers provide a lot and there is value you expect to compensate for - after all this is how brokers make a living. Not wanting to be boatless and having cash for a bigger better boat is it fair to expect something less that off the street sales commission from a broker that you expect to do future business with for years to come combined with the quick simple sale?

Upvote 0

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    Shortage in multiple industries. Car dealerships are doing the same thing offering to buy back vehicles that have recently sold. The problem is that when you go to buy a boat you will be paying a premium as well. So that supposed high price that you're getting on your current boat won't matter much. I also believe in this current market there is no need to have a broker as the boat will sell quickly with very little effort.

Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    Broker? Let's see...

Real estate broker
    Stock broker
    Boat broker
    Car broker
    ___ broker

The only folks broke-er, are the participants in the transaction. Doesn't matter how many times industries try to change the "titles" and job descriptions. It's sales. Guess who wins.

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    I would negotiate a half commission with him. You aren't looking to sell and are happy with the boat. Half of something is better then 100% of nothing and he knows he'll get it back on the new boat so he'll work harder for that sell

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    If the broker brings a buyer who will pay whatever price, net of commission, that I am happy to sell at, by definition I sell. Conversely, if I tell the broker the number I must net and he says fine, I will get you 90% of that amount (ie, he is keeping a 10% commission), then why would I sell? Is this a trick question, or am I missing something?

If the question is whether I would walk away from the deal because I think it is too rich for the broker, or anyone else, well, that is a rookie mistake. Never look in the other guy's pocket or count his money. In the long wrong you do better hoping that every deal you make is better for the other guy than for you.

Upvote 0

J Woodman

I know nothing
    Dec 8, 2006
    Ventura
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    15' Gregor "Silver Bullet", Parker 2310 "Deep Color"
    If he wants a commission on your asking price then you aren't getting your asking price. Whatever you buy later will be higher priced also. Maybe make an agreement that the broker will sell your current boat with no commission but he can make a full commission on your future purchase.

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    If he wants a commission on your asking price then you aren't getting your asking price.
    Except OP didn't have an asking price. Broker came to him and said "what will it take for you to sell, bearing in mind that I want a full commish on the deal". I don't know anything about OP's boat, but let's say he is happy to sell if he nets $1M. Broker finds someone happy to pay $1,111,111, broker takes his 10% off the top, and OP gets $1M. Everyone is happy.

Upvote 0

Castlepadre

Almost A Member
    Jan 28, 2020
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Mateo
    Boat
    WorldCat
    Hypothetically

Broker that you bought a boat from approaches you with someone that wants to buy your boat. Boat is not for sale - Your happy with the boat and don’t want, need or were even thinking of selling the boat. But every boat has its price. Broker says I can get you that price but also asks for full commission. No sales listing created, no fielding multiple inquiries and showings etc, just a quick simple sale.

You fully understand brokers provide a lot and there is value you expect to compensate for - after all this is how brokers make a living. Not wanting to be boatless and having cash for a bigger better boat is it fair to expect something less that off the street sales commission from a broker that you expect to do future business with for years to come combined with the quick simple sale?
    What's a broker supposed to do to earn " full commission"? In my book if you get the number you want after his/her commission done, no other considerations.

Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    Do not be willing to pay allow someone to leech off your hard owned property or be duped by an inefficient secondary market. If a hypothetical buyer is willing to pay 10% over asking, there is a serious price discovery issue. Both parties are losers in his scenario. Anything transaction with 10% commission is ought to be a crime, as it's essential theft.

Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    CA sales tax is around 8-10% depending on County. Pure robbery.

All in the country where the founding members left their home country to avoid taxation without representation.

Reactions: wils
    Upvote 0

mike mitchell

Jul 25, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Michael Mitchell
    Boat
    20 Bertram
    Two things to consider.
    The slip, can you hold it or does it go with boat?
    If you are going to downsize you win, if not you lose. You can take the money and look for what you are selling, but it will cost you more because the market has moved up. If you are going to downsize then you win because you will have more money to spend. Seems like the broker is the one who wins no matter what you do. If you are happy, keep what you have.

Upvote 0

mike mitchell

Jul 25, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Michael Mitchell
    Boat
    20 Bertram
    Except OP didn't have an asking price. Broker came to him and said "what will it take for you to sell, bearing in mind that I want a full commish on the deal". I don't know anything about OP's boat, but let's say he is happy to sell if he nets $1M. Broker finds someone happy to pay $1,111,111, broker takes his 10% off the top, and OP gets $1M. Everyone is happy.
    Until the OP tries to replace the boat and finds he has to pay more for the same thing.

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
    Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    If a seller gets what he wants out of a boat, why care what a broker makes?

Upvote 0

butcherboy

Retired Bum
    Jul 4, 2007
    escondido ca.
    Name
    tom cunningham
    Boat
    Compton 33 / Gig Harbor Whitehall rowboat
    You could be in a good place. Tell parties you agree to net terms contingent on you/broker finding your replacement boat that meets your approval. Broker then works fanny off to earn two commissions or he gets none.

Reactions: mike mitchell
    Upvote 0

J Woodman

I know nothing
    Dec 8, 2006
    Ventura
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    15' Gregor "Silver Bullet", Parker 2310 "Deep Color"
    I agree with your math but that's not how I read it in the original post. "Broker says I can get that price but also asks for a full commission." I read that to mean there is a commission charge on "that price", not an addition to that price to cover commission.

Reactions: Blackfish
    Upvote 0

marlyn

• Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Broker is making money on both ends,buyer and seller and he doesnt own or pay for anything,Its good to be the broker,lol.

Upvote 0

af dreamer

Apr 16, 2007
    long beach,ca
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    44 luhrs dreamer
    I have bought and sold many boats,I have almost always brought a broker in.If they are any good they perform many things to move the sale along like working with the yard,the surveyor or surveyors.I have never been sorry.JMHO,Tom

Reactions: butcherboy
    Upvote 0
    May 13, 2004
    Long Beach and points due west
    Name
    Bob Ballew
    Boat
    2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
    If your boat is in demand, why not just post it on Craigs List and here? Put the commission savings toward the next boat purchase...Bought my 25' Parker off Craigs List...but, boatless when another good fishing season is approaching creates lots of stress...:)

Reactions: butcherboy
    Upvote 0