Boat Run Honolulu to Kahalui

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by michael caswell, Apr 6, 2010.

1. michael caswell

michael caswell Newbie

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    36' Tiara
    Wanted to ask some advice and help on running boat from Sand Island, Oahu, to Kahalui, Maui. will be going in early May and need some local guidance on charts, GPS points, best routes. Appreciate your kokua. Mike

2. oldmanadam

oldmanadam Newbie

Name:
    adam lahne
    Boat:
    22' fiberform "amateur hour"
    pick your day wisely. you will be crossing a nasty channel. what kind of boat?

3. bruno

bruno Newbie

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Grady White Tigercat
    I make that run 2x a week. It is about 95 miles if you run the south side of molokai. I am not sure how big your boat is. If you wait for kona winds you could have a nice trip. Just want to keep an eye on the forecst for the kaiwi and pailolo channels. Kahului can be a real blow hole.

4. russell kato

russell kato "Kamoku"

Name:
    russ
    Boat:
    15' Arima - Kamoku
    Hey Mike,
    Bruno's run sounds similar to the one the inter-island ferry used to take to Kahului. This link might be helpful for you to plot your course using the coordinates that you get from this map. Just move the cursor to the spot you want and it will give you the coordinates. Hope this helps.
    Free Topo Maps - MyTopo/Maptech MapServer

5. CMonster01

CMonster01 Newbie

Name:
    Clifford
    Boat:
    Big enough to float without it
    When Pailolo gets nasty, you may want to consider another Maui port. My opinion, if the weather closes down (presuming heavy trade winds), consider heading for Lahina via South side of Lanai. Keep a weather eye during transit from Sand Island to Lanai (waves can be a bit problematic), stay inside of the weather buoy off S. Lanai, round the light house on SE Lanai (note: currents can rip there) and turn northerly towards Lahina. A bit more protected that way. At a guess, maybe 12-14 hrs.+/- one way depending on speed. Maybe stay one night in Lahina, cleanup, fuel up (if you are not a sailboat), get water and provisions (supermarkets within a few blocks of harbor) and go next day close inshore rounding W Maui to your original port hoping that the chop will be somewhat less inshore.

6. kapnd

kapnd Newbie

Name:
    don
    Boat:
    ss minnow
    Leave early, go like hell!
    Its a nasty route, but doable.
    I like to overnight in the cove at Kaanapali, or Kahana, makes the second day easy.
    If you have the option, wait till the wind dies down a bit.

7. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Mike if it is a small boat 18to40ft. wait for a light&variable day then enjoy your ride.Set your gps up on Lahina it will take you right past the lee corner of Molokai then on to the fun zone.If it is blowing put it on your ship (Pasha) then enjoy the fun zone while you wait for it!Mike thanks for your help in the past and give me a call while you are on Maui.Doug

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010