PENN

mattsfishn

Nov 27, 2005
San Diego
Name
Matt
Boat
Someday
Great trip, and as advertised. I didn't catch a single fish, lost a small yellow at the boat. I just want to say the trip was advertised as "targeting big bluefin", and that's exactly what we did. With more than enough stops on paddys as they came, we spent the majority of the time chasing those massive boils with gigantic bluefin. Unfortunately we couldn't get them to bite.

I went with two friends, one whom fishes once a week, the other, celebrating his birthday and never fished offshore. You can guess who won the jackpot, the first timer. Roughly a 20 lb yellow on a rod he borrowed from me, and said his only thought during the ten minute fight was, not dropping my gear in the drink.

The crew did fine, the boat was clean, and the captain did absolutely everything he could think of to get us on those bluefin. Again, just wanted to post the trip report because I did hear a few on the boat complaining about why we kept chasing the tuna and not hitting the paddys harder, sayin "they're not gonna bite, they're not hungry,they're bla bla bla" "why don't we just load up on yellowtail?" I am just glad the boat did as I expected when I booked the trip, and had a blast....fishing. Imagine that. Good on ya, Prowler!

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
A couple weeks ago a local sport boat with 19 angers caught 4 BF tuna.2 in the 75lb range and 2 in the 150 lb range.
Not a good average.

The next day they had,i forget,about the same amount of passengers...got skunked.
A lot of 3 quarter day people dont normally target huge fukin bluefin...am I right?
They just want to go catch fish at the nados where yellow tail is normally a bonus.

NOW, the bonus is trophy grade(not wicked grade :))huge bluefin tuna.Who is geared up for 50 to 200 lb class tuna on a 3/4 day trip.NOT ME!

Anyhow,I have fished the prowler,good boat,good captain...buz...good captain.

ITS THE CATCH OF THE DAY! Its whats happening out there!
Hell,im not even ready for whats happening out there...what IS happening out there? I dont even know.
Answer that question and you,yes you,are at the top of the food chain.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Heres my explanation.

BF came up earlier than expected and the seiners dropped the ball,theyre only fisherman...just like us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lougio

Capt Lou
Jul 19, 2014
La Mesa, CA
Name
Lou
Boat
'03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
Good for you and the boat sticking with the plan. Really it isn't that different than when you're on your own boat and you have a plan.. as soon as it turns into a tough day everyone wants to change it up. Stick to the plan because that's when you're thinking clearly and not out on the water listening to everyone and their brother in-law saying "We should do this or do that". Now multiply that by twenty on a sporty.

Upvote 0

bajaspearo

May 25, 2006
Corona
Name
Tanner Cortes
Boat
18' Stringari
i love the prowler, buzz is a great skipper and pretty awesome fisherman too. learned so much from him and the deckies back in the 80s and 90s.

Upvote 0

mattsfishn

Nov 27, 2005
San Diego
Name
Matt
Boat
Someday
The Capt. was named John (bass,boss), actually I don't exactly remember, with the second being an old salt ,named Jim.
Buzz was not on the trip. The operation ,as a whole, was exactly what I wish for in every trip I go on. Sadly not all operations run the same, the cliché " you get what you pay for", sometimes you don't get what you pay for and on a sporty the only recourse is to not ride again and/or bitch and moan online about it.

I did get what I paid for, and I'm here bitching and moaning about how great it was!

Reactions: solid72
Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
Brookings Oregon
Name
mike
Boat
19"Gregor
Good attitude.You have to enjoy the boat ride if you catch fish it's a bonus.That's something a lot of the new peeps have lost touch with.

Reactions: tanner.s
Upvote 0

Peg North

Peripatetic
May 22, 2009
West Sacramento CA
Name
"Buggywhip"
Boat
Slow Poke
I went on the Prowler for the 1.5 last Sunday 6/28. I had a great trip, too, on a nice clean boat that fished hard and fed us well. Class operation. Yeah, we got some yt on paddies in the morning, and a yft, on a blind strike at 6am. LOTs of time chasing boils, on the hunt. Cool to see. Maybe one day I'll get a biggie, maybe not. But I'll keep fishing for them.

Reactions: 2454 big mike
Upvote 0