Boat registration on aluminum skiff questions

fishingkid

Aug 15, 2004
Lake Elsinore
Name
Boat
N/A
How hard would it be to get a 14 ft aluminum boat registered that has not been registered in several years has no CF numbers no title and had been passed around owners without going through dmv? Boat has not been used in atleast 15 years curious if it’s worth the hassle or buy something else? Contemplating building a small aluminum skiff just curious on registration before putting much time and money into it.

Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
Not hard... Say it was a gift. "Barely worth anything" and they will ask you what do you think it's worth?!

Upvote 0
May 13, 2004
Long Beach and points due west
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat
2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
AAA can only help with something they can find on a computer. Go to dmv and tell them you bought it for $10, probably it was homemade....they will be happy to take your money....was $20 for 2 year regis, now, gov. wants to charge $70 for 2 years...might take a pic with you in case they want to see it...or, if you row it only, then, you don't have to register it until there is a motor on it....plus saving money on fuel...

Reactions: fishingkid
Upvote 0
Nov 10, 2007
Chino
Name
Joe
Boat
none
I just went through this a number of months ago, the boat didnt have a registration number, AAA cannot help you if you dont have a hull ID...the boat I bought didnt have any information in the system and hadnt been registered for years...went to the DMV, they created a new hull number...I thought I was gonna get nailed with fees but it was like 150.00 bucks for boat and trailer

Upvote 0

miaf

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 14, 2013
Name
Boat
I just registered a boat that had no hull number and had never been registered. Just had to fill out the forms that stated you believe the boat was homemade. They will ask what the estimated value is. Go low, as this is what your fees are based on. Also state it was a gift or be prepared to have a bill of sale, that also describes the boat as a homemade boat. They will issue you a hull number and CF numbers. Don’t tell them it has and engine on it or you will have to get some sort of emission check. Mine did not have an engine, so I got to bypass that. Don’t let them tell you the boat needs to be inspected. The first time I went to the DMV, I was told that. I came back a couple weeks later with the boat and found out they don’t inspect it. Idiots.

Reactions: DOGHOUSE26
Upvote 0