Dexter Outdoors
Mar 18, 2011
SoCal
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
Hey Brian,

As many have mentioned, just sign up on any boat that fits your schedule and budget. Try to fish on as many LR boats as possible to understand their style, personality and overall comfort level. Once you have a half dozen + trips under your belt, you'll find yourself leaning towards a certain operation or two. Good luck

Upvote 0

Tar Pit

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 7, 2006
    Reno NV
    Name
    Friend of Bucko Shaw
    Boat
    None.
    Most of the boats, in the past, have let first timers use loaner gear, and all you do is pay for the line, they change it out after every trip so the line is new for the next guy to use, after you have finished the trip. They want you to have a wonderful time, and you will be hooked ( no pun intended) to start buying some of your own gear for your next trip. It take a while to obtain all the gear, and the boats realize that. They want to help you.

I agree 100%. But I'm saying that some boats have much better equipment that others. My buddy on our 5-day trip was given 1 set up. An Accurate 2 speed with #50 spooled on it. Day 1 we are catching YT, YF and dodos in the 15-20 pound grade and people are fishing 30#. I asked if they could give him a 30# set up and was told they had none. Well I gave him my extra #30 set up to use and he was now getting fish.

If my buddy went alone he would have been stuck with that heavy gear all 5-days. my two cents

Upvote 0

Rodless_Jim

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Apr 3, 2008
    Mexico, DF, Mexico
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Strictly a Rider
    I agree 100%. But I'm saying that some boats have much better equipment that others. My buddy on our 5-day trip was given 1 set up. An Accurate 2 speed with #50 spooled on it. Day 1 we are catching YT, YF and dodos in the 15-20 pound grade and people are fishing 30#. I asked if they could give him a 30# set up and was told they had none. Well I gave him my extra #30 set up to use and he was now getting fish.

If my buddy went alone he would have been stuck with that heavy gear all 5-days. my two cents

It would be a very good idea if you could identify which boat that was, and how long ago (in general terms) this happened. It would also help to know if your buddy was in touch with the boat in advance, and let them know he would need multiple outfits.

It has been a long time now since I had to borrow gear, and very long indeed since I had to borrow from the boat. Even before I had my own gear (there is a reason why Rodless is my handle, even if it no longer applies!) I had good friends who helped me out. But in this day and time, almost all of the boats have excellent gear, and if you give them enough advance notice, they will set you with all you need.

I know, for example, that Excel's loaner gear are all quality Okumas, most of them (I believe) on Super Seeker rods. I didn't actually notice what kind of loaner gear Intrepid had on my last trip, because I didn't actually notice anyone using loaner gear. I'm sure there must have been a couple of people on the trip who didn't have all their own gear, but everyone seemed to be using quality stuff.

What it comes down to is that almost all of the boats mentioned in this thread go way beyond the call of duty to take care of their customers, and they take extra care with newbies. You just need to make sure they know that you are going to need some setups.

Anyway, it's a good idea to let them know ahead of time that you are a first-timer, because then they will make sure someone is ready to help you from the time you arrive at the Landing.

Upvote 0

skotz

Can't wait for the next bite!
    Jun 22, 2009
    Modesto, Ca. USA
    Name
    Skot
    Boat
    Seaswirl Spyder
    I will be hosting the Accurate reels trip on the Royal Polaris during September. It is a 7 day where I will be bringing Accurate gear for ones to use during their trip. Would love to have you.

Do you bring any leftys on your trips?

Upvote 0

Elitetv1958

Sep 20, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Music, Red Rooster, America Angler, Polaris Supreme
    I recommend the Polaris Supreme and the Red Rooster. That being said... Pretty much all the long range boats are terrific. Don't be afraid to tell the crew you are a newbie. Especially the Polaris Supreme. They will help you out. The crew is awesome and host usually carries passengers that are happy to help as well. JMHO.

Upvote 0

vikebrian84

Almost A Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    nope
    Take a look at the Spirit of adventure trip 23 9 day. A Extra day in the zone from the usual October 8 day for the price of most other 8 days, also sponsored by Avet and Seeker, cant beat that. It will be my first time on the boat but I hear its top notch and has a excellent crew.

Upvote 0

Tar Pit

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 7, 2006
    Reno NV
    Name
    Friend of Bucko Shaw
    Boat
    None.
    It would be a very good idea if you could identify which boat that was, and how long ago (in general terms) this happened. It would also help to know if your buddy was in touch with the boat in advance, and let them know he would need multiple outfits.

It has been a long time now since I had to borrow gear, and very long indeed since I had to borrow from the boat. Even before I had my own gear (there is a reason why Rodless is my handle, even if it no longer applies!) I had good friends who helped me out. But in this day and time, almost all of the boats have excellent gear, and if you give them enough advance notice, they will set you with all you need.

I know, for example, that Excel's loaner gear are all quality Okumas, most of them (I believe) on Super Seeker rods. I didn't actually notice what kind of loaner gear Intrepid had on my last trip, because I didn't actually notice anyone using loaner gear. I'm sure there must have been a couple of people on the trip who didn't have all their own gear, but everyone seemed to be using quality stuff.

What it comes down to is that almost all of the boats mentioned in this thread go way beyond the call of duty to take care of their customers, and they take extra care with newbies. You just need to make sure they know that you are going to need some setups.

Anyway, it's a good idea to let them know ahead of time that you are a first-timer, because then they will make sure someone is ready to help you from the time you arrive at the Landing.

The boat was the Red Rooster 3.
    The trip was last July. 2014.
    He told the RR office that this was his first trip and that he needed equipment. I just assumed he would get more than 1 set up for a 5-day trip.

The crew was great and they worked very hard to see he had a good time. I just think we should have more than 1 set up for him.

Upvote 0

$norkle

May 6, 2008
    Corvallis,OR
    Name
    Bruce
    Boat
    In my dreams!
    All the long-range boats catch fish. The captains are all pretty fishy. They all have bonanza trips and they all have the occasional tough trip. The major difference is in the comfort level of the boats. Some are more spacious and have a much better ride. A few, quite frankly, are uncomfortable. Like everything else in life, you get what you pay for.

Upvote 0

TEAMFISH

JUST ADD WATER
    Aug 17, 2006
    TORRANCE
    Name
    DAVE
    Boat
    SOLD IT
    I recommend the Polaris Supreme and the Red Rooster. That being said... Pretty much all the long range boats are terrific. Don't be afraid to tell the crew you are a newbie. Especially the Polaris Supreme. They will help you out. The crew is awesome and host usually carries passengers that are happy to help as well. JMHO.

Did my first 8 day on the Polaris Supreme. Had the best time of my life and the crew was awesome. Felt like family the first day. I also went solo and met some of the coolest people.

Upvote 0

COSDoug

Nov 23, 2008
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    Hobie Kayak
    Did my first 8 day on the Polaris Supreme. Had the best time of my life and the crew was awesome. Felt like family the first day. I also went solo and met some of the coolest people.
    Don't be afraid / hesitant about going solo. I do it once a year on the Intrepid. I also use their loaner gear. Coming from Colorado it's a hassle to bring rods and reels. The Intrepid charges $10 per trip for each set up. The rods and reels are, no question, top shelf. All 2 speeds. Each night they offer to put on fresh line. I get 3. A 30, 40 and a 50#. I've already made reservations on this year's 6 day for loaner gear. It's a no brainer.
    As stated above, we are all very lucky to be able to access this resource. There are many fine operations to choose from. It's been my experience that people are very friendly and forthcoming. It's sort of like going to a wedding where everybody is happy, happy, happy.
    Keep in mind the crew has an agenda. They have you as a captive audience. Their goal is to make sure you don't look elsewhere. They want to make sure you have a great time and come back again and they are darn good at it. Keep a good, "positive", attitude and it's hard to go wrong.
    That's all I have to say about that.......
    Doug

Reactions: $norkle
    Upvote 0

Anglewood

Up to no good...
    Feb 16, 2012
    Culver City, CA
    Name
    Connor
    Boat
    Intrepid, New Del Mar
    I have to echo the sentiment about not being afraid to go solo. I went on my own for one of my trips this past summer and had a great time! Once you get the lay of the land it isn't too hard to figure out where you can fit in, remember everyone on the boat is there because they enjoy fishing, so you already have that in common. Just enjoy yourself and above all listen to the crew and other anglers, there is a lot to learn, but it is all fun.

-Connor

Reactions: $norkle
    Upvote 0

Dr Polynomial

Nov 13, 2013
    Eldersburg
    Name
    jeff
    Boat
    don't have one
    For the last five years I have been going on an annual 8 day trip. I have nothing but good things to say about the Royal Polaris and the Excel. Excellent trips every time . I was disappointed with the Shogun, fishing was good but the crew and service was average at best.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    To some, size, spaciousness, "comfort" etc. are the more important factors. To me there's nothing more important than the members of the crew as well as the galley guys and the captain. I like fishing the Angler. Not the biggest or the fastest. If it were all about comfort, The Spirit of Adventure would be out of business. Staterooms have little if any storage space and no wash basins. Crew, second to none.

All the long-range boats catch fish. The captains are all pretty fishy. They all have bonanza trips and they all have the occasional tough trip. The major difference is in the comfort level of the boats. Some are more spacious and have a much better ride. A few, quite frankly, are uncomfortable. Like everything else in life, you get what you pay for.

Upvote 0

hilltop

lurking in the shallows
    Jan 1, 2010
    sb 805
    Name
    hilltop
    Boat
    sold, pangas, Intrepid, and diggin the RRIII
    I'd listen to the above poster.....when I first joined I pm'ed Steve and asked a bunch of questions..........what a good source of info. and I hope to share the rail with him someday.

Upvote 0

Rhatical

Captain
    Oct 22, 2003
    San Diego
    Visit site
    Name
    Bob
    Boat
    SD Fleet
    Many good options as others have stated. The ones I've ridden (none over 3 day trips) that I would highly recommend:
    American Angler
    Excel
    Royal Star
    Royal Polaris
    Intrepid
    Independence
    Red Rooster III

Upvote 0

strackle99

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Mar 20, 2008
    Villa Lepro, Baja
    Name
    Todd
    Boat
    The one on the fish
    Take your fime, and choose carefully.
    My first big trip was on the Royal Star, and I will always be partial to that operation.
    After that, either the Intrepid, or Indy, are both tip top
    Beyond those two others, the Angler, RP, RR3, Excel, Spirit of Adventure, Polaris Supreme, Shogun, Vagabond. In about that order.
    That just my opinion, if i had to choose.

Upvote 0