boat reccomendations

Dexter Outdoors

Brian Tsai

Dec 8, 2014
Name
Brian Tsai
Boat
in the future
Which one of the long range boats do you guys recommend for a first trip?

I am looking at a 7-10 day trip and will likely need to rent over half the outfits.
For me fish catching>luxury cruising.

Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
Oceanside Ca.
Name
Mike Morris
Boat
prowler kayak
Brian most of the boats that run 7-8 trip are all equipped to handle first timers what is your time frame that might be a better judge of what boat to hop on these shorter trips fill up fast at times just go fishing deck hands are full of help and information

Upvote 0

albacore11

Member Intrepid 200# Club
May 19, 2006
Crowley Lake, CA
Name
Christopher
Boat
Gone but not forgotten
Most, if not all the Long Range boats will take good care of you. You will definitely have a more enjoyable experience if you know some other people on the trip. I fish a particular boat because I know most of the people I am fishing with and they are on the same trips.

The deckhands will take good care of you, just make certain you let them know it is your first trip and they provide you all the assistance you need.

You also need to give some thought to what you expect. Some trips will target big fish exclusively, while others will be targeting a variety of species. Call the boat office and ask about the trip you are considering and find out the game plan. Know in advance that weather does come up and it can impact your trip; it is after all fishing and not catching.

Reactions: XL1
Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2007
Montebello
Name
Sherm
Boat
INDEPENDENCE
Upvote 0

Rodless_Jim

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
Brian,

These days it seems like the only boats I fish are Excel, Intrepid, and Independence. That's not really intentional...it just seems to work out that way. Other boats I would (and do!) consider are the Red Rooster III, American Angler, Shogun, and Vagabond. I have fished both Shogun and Vagabond in the past, and if the right trip came up, I would fish the Angler or the Rooster too.

A couple of people have already said: the first thing to do is figure out when you can go...or in my case, when I cannot go. There are events on my yearly schedule that take precedence, so I know I can't plan a trip that coincides or overlaps with those dates. For me, the windows end up being pretty tight sometimes. Hopefully, your schedule will have more wiggle room...but even so, identifying your windows is probably first.

The next thing to do is determine the length and type of trip you want to take. There can be a world of difference between a June 7-day and an October 10-day! When you have a real handle on the trip you're looking for, start researching your windows for the boats that "sound good." Pick as many as five or six possible trips, then come back to the board, present your list of potentials, and seek more specific comment.

In a couple of days, you'll know which trip you want.

Hope this helps!

-Jim

Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
I am biased. I say American Angler. They can flat out fish and have seen them time and time again help the inexperienced catch fish and make a memorable vacation. Plenty of good boats but they are the best IMHO.

Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Walnut Creek CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
They are all good. Some are better depending on your priorities and preferences. I have had great trips on most of the boats. We all have our favorites. My favorite is the Royal Star due to fishing prowess, crew, catch care, food and customer service. I also recommend the American Angler, Red Rooster, Spirit of Adventure and Vagabond without hesitation. Find a trip that fits your schedule and go! PM me if you need additional info.

Good luck and welcome to our addiction...

- Jeff Burroughs

Upvote 0

salty brain

Nothing but salt between the ears
Sep 25, 2012
OC
Name
Dave
Boat
what ever floats
Look at the vagabond, great boat and crew, doesn't matter if its your first trip or your ridding alone, every one is treated cool and Mike and the boys are great at get first timers in the swing of thing. They will give you all the help you need. You should never worry about climbing on a boat alone you just make new friends.

Upvote 0

Illkeepfishing

Long Range Sportfishing Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2011
New York, New York
Name
Charles
Boat
Royal Polaris
I've heard good things about all the boats, but I recommend the Royal Polaris. In 2004, I flew out from New York to fish Long Range for the first time, not knowing a soul.

Doug Kern of Fisherman's Landing got me started the day before by selling me only what I needed (a few hooks, lures, and sinkers, and a small plastic box to put them in). Then Doug took me to the dock outside the shop and taught me how to cast with a conventional reel! I couldn't believe it. This guy was so invested in my having a great Long Range experience that he teaches me how to cast. Later wehn I found out that he was the manager of the shop, I was even more impressed that he took the time.

Once on board the next day, the crew of the RP, Roy Rose, John Collins, Eddie Felarca, to name a few, treated me very well. Another crew member named John, who's no longer with boat, lent me his spare pair of Real Tuff boots because my feet were getting soaked on deck wearing my supposedly waterproof (not) low-top hiking boots. That simple act saved my trip. Wet feet are no fun.

The Charter Master Corky Yoko had Newell outfits for passengers to use and taught me how to tie the Double San Diego Jam Knot.

I could go on an on about how great this trip was, how much I learned, and how many fish I caught. I was able to do very well once I quickly caught on to the various methods of Long Range fishing. The key, in my view, is to tell them it's your first time and then listen to the crew. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions. They want you to catch fish. Tell them that you want to learn and to please tell you when they see you doing something wrong. That's how you learn and get better. Good luck. Charles.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    All of the boats running the long trips are very, very good at giving everyone on board as good of an experience as possible, and as good of a shot at hooking and landing a bunch of big fish as they possibly can provide. Like was mentioned, it's fishing not catching, so nothing is guaranteed. Weather can interrupt the trip, sometimes unexpected mechanical issues happen, and sadly sometimes medical issues happen. Sometimes sharks seem to target a particular angler more than others.

Some of the boats are plusher than others, like flying first class rather than business class. They all get you there, and you won't get hungry on any of them. I'm glad that you intend to rent a lot of your gear, that is very smart. Actually using the gear you rent, as well as trying various outfits from your fellow anglers (which is quite common, we all like to try different rigs) will cause you to seriously reconsider your future tackle purchases. Joining an established group can be a lot of fun, but you will quickly make new friends if you walk on board not knowing anyone, especially if you bring a couple bottles of good booze on board in your duffle bag and smile and offer to share after dinner. And quickly learn the names of all of the crew and treat them with the respect that they richly deserve.

Upvote 0

DannyNoonan

Smarter than I look...
    Apr 17, 2007
    3rd dumpster on the right
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Lund LX200 LFC
    Personally I like the RS 'cause I've fished it a number of times and I really like the crew - like old friends, and this means a lot to me...

However, all of the quality LR boats strive to give you an excellent experience. My suggestion would be to:

#1 pick a trip on whatever boat that meets your scheduling needs
    #2 pick a trip based upon who else might be on it - if any of your friends are planning to take the trip

From there, bring a good attitude, be considerate of others, and you will undoubtedly make friends - both passengers and crew. Have fun, and good luck on your first trip!

Upvote 0

COSDoug

Nov 23, 2008
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    Hobie Kayak
    Personally I like the RS 'cause I've fished it a number of times and I really like the crew - like old friends, and this means a lot to me...

However, all of the quality LR boats strive to give you an excellent experience. My suggestion would be to:

#1 pick a trip on whatever boat that meets your scheduling needs
    #2 pick a trip based upon who else might be on it - if any of your friends are planning to take the trip

From there, bring a good attitude, be considerate of others, and you will undoubtedly make friends - both passengers and crew. Have fun, and good luck on your first trip!

Upvote 0

DMcD

Nov 21, 2011
    Idyllwild, Ca USA
    Name
    Dennis McDougall
    Boat
    None
    As far as the boats go, just about any of them will provide you with an excellent fishing experience. However, if this is your first LR experience, are not quite familiar with all the tackle and techniques, and are thinking about renting a lot of the tackle, you may want to consider a trip within your schedule that is sponsored by one of the major tackle dealers such as Shimano, Accurate, etc. Last year I took a couple of newbie friends of mine on an 11-day sponsored by Shimano on the Royal Star. Neither of these guys brought any rods/reels whatsoever. The Shimano rep must have had at least 60-70 or more rod/reel combinations set up for just about any application, and for anyone to use. Nice way to learn what you might want to acquire in the future.

Whatever you decide, relax, have a great time, and good fishing.

Reactions: hagridfish
    Upvote 0

egarratt

• Aug 11, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Eddie G
    Boat
    None
    Just sign up and go on a trip. You will love it, and whatever boat you choose will be your forever favorite boat. You might check with office and make sure they can set you up with gear, as I have heard some boats will do free loaner gear to first timers (you have to pay for line and stuff, just not the rental of rod and reel).

Upvote 0

Tar Pit

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 7, 2006
    Reno NV
    Name
    Friend of Bucko Shaw
    Boat
    None.
    What he said.....
    I fish the rooster and last year I took a first timer. He used the boats loaner rods and reels and they were all beat up. So FREE loaner gear is a must.

Upvote 0

hagridfish

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 21, 2008
    Aurora Colorado
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    None
    JMHO. I really like the idea of going on a trip sponsored by one of the reel companies. They always have lots of "toys", and want you to play with them. If you want to learn how to "rig" all your own stuff, the deck hands are there, and will help all they can.
    I enjoy the trips I go on with the group from "Kens Custom Reels". Ken is a wealth of knowledge, the AA, I believe, lets first timers borrow gear for just the price of line refills. Ken is the ULTIMATE charter master. His give aways, usually include all the terminal gear you will need, and he is always looking to help. The guy can really fish too. And he will teach, show, explain. Yes, I am biased, but he really is a talented teacher. That is the trip you want. Someone who will show you how to have a good time in this "hobby", no, this insane passion, that is called "long range fishing. Book a trip, and have a great time! :-)

Upvote 0

TShooter

Team Cheesy Poof
    Mar 24, 2004
    Alpine
    Name
    Robert Peterson
    Boat
    Yak, Cheesy Poof
    I will be hosting the Accurate reels trip on the Royal Polaris during September. It is a 7 day where I will be bringing Accurate gear for ones to use during their trip. Would love to have you.

Reactions: redsalmonslayer
    Upvote 0

backlashjack

Scallywag
    May 14, 2007
    Alta Loma, CA
    Name
    Jackson
    Boat
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    EXCEL. Hands down.
    All of their rental gear is new Okuma stuff. Mak 10, Andros, etc., all on Super seeker rods.
    The crew, food and accommodations are top notch. Skipper is awesome - very fishy guy

Upvote 0

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
    Utah
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    LONG RANGE fishing
    What he said.....
    I fish the rooster and last year I took a first timer. He used the boats loaner rods and reels and they were all beat up. So FREE loaner gear is a must.
    Most of the boats, in the past, have let first timers use loaner gear, and all you do is pay for the line, they change it out after every trip so the line is new for the next guy to use, after you have finished the trip. They want you to have a wonderful time, and you will be hooked ( no pun intended) to start buying some of your own gear for your next trip. It take a while to obtain all the gear, and the boats realize that. They want to help you.

Upvote 0