I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 4, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Mel Patten
Boat
23 Sportcraft boat
Recenlty I posted about a guy who rammed into the back of my boat as I was sitting at the SI dock. The boat has been repaired and now the guy does not respond to my letters or my insurance company. My biggest mistake was not calling the harbor patrol on channel 16 when it happened.

My problem is that I have the guys information from his dirvers license, but I did not get his date of birth and I do not have the owners name and address from the boats CF number. I've checked out the house address and the truck and boat were not there.

If anyone has access to the DMV data based and can get me his DOB and boat registration info, it would be greatly appreciated. Just PM me and I will pass on his driver license number and info, and boat CF number. I want to go to small claims and recover my deductable and a small labor charge. I may not recover any money, but I want to send the judgement to the credit agencies and his credit report will be flagged for eight to ten years.

The turkey had no insurance and stated that he would cover the repair charge.

Any support would be appreciated.

Mel Patten aka Dreamboat

hung380

Apr 30, 2007
newbury park
Name
hung
Boat
2006 trophy pro 1902
Dont you have up to a year to file a police report? I might be wrong but cant you give the police his dl# and they can search?

Vermonster

Feb 26, 2003
Escondido
Visit site
Name
Sean
Boat
I'm a Ho'.....
Dont you have up to a year to file a police report? I might be wrong but cant you give the police his dl# and they can search?

Ditto this. You will be very hard pressed to find anyone with access to this sstem, to give you the information. A very big no-no......... Go the legal route, let them do it.....

superduty

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 15, 2007
So Cal
Name
Jack
Boat
n/a
I would suggest filing a police report....In the alternative if you are going to file agianst him in small claims, then you can file documents wtih the DMV to get his info. You can request info on people who you are suing.

N J Mello

Lead Dog
Feb 6, 2007
Hemet, CA
Name
Neal J. Mello
Boat
21' Sea Ray 'MelloW DayZ"
File a police report - they will search the DMV - but probably won't give you his address. When it's time to sue, the DMV will provide his address based on the police report AND the lawsuit papers.

yellowtail101

Sep 7, 2006
El Cajon
Name
David
Boat
18' Bayrunner CC
I am not sure about non-injury boating accidents, but a vehicle on the street (non-injury) accident, it is an exchange info only incident, no police report. I am guessing that it is the same way on the water. I know this only applies for the area I work in the city of SD. Check with Harbor PD 1st. They may have a different policy. No one in law enforcement will or shouldn't anyway, give up DMV info. It is all tracked and you are held accountable for all inquiries...Hope this helps some...Good luck

mrodey

Jul 1, 2007
Ocean Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
32' Tollycraft, Saint James
I would think your insurance company would be pretty aggressive in going after him to recoup this loss... they have the time, manpower, and resources to do it. Just like if you get hit by an uninsured motorist... you insurance company should go after them with a vengeance!

Stanley

Pro Boat Scrubber
Nov 28, 2003
Agua Hedionda
Visit site
Name
Spooker
Boat
24' Skipjack FB, 19.5' Glastron SE and a ScupperPro TW
Private Investigators will find this guy. Call around for best pricing.

crackodawn

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 15, 2004
Alhambra
Name
Don
Boat
22 Fiberform pilot house
Give me his name and I'll find him if he ownes any property in San Diego County. Its all public records

Crackodawn

john7429

Sgt
Aug 2, 2005
Anaheim, CA
Name
John
Boat
24' Skipjack/Cobra Tandem Kayak
Talking to police before going to small claims is the best route.

You need to show that you took actions to resolve this on your own.

I'm surprised your insurance isn't cover it as an uninsured boater case in which they take care of you first and then go after the guy.
Going this route usually gets you the least amount of help since they don't want to give you more than the absolute minimum.

Taking him to small claims (if the damage was little enough) would be the best route to recover all lost money/expenses.

Don't cut this guy slack. He's trying to screw you over.

mikejohn13

Jun 26, 2007
San Diego
Name
mike
Boat
18' suntracker pontoon
I feel your pain. Last summer I got hit on the river by a guy on a wave runner he did $6300 damage to my boat I got his info but only after saying I was calling the cops then it was he's the info no need for cops but I still did good thing too 2 and a half hours after he hit us he still blew a .13 plus the cop got the info from me for the other and said it would be on the report but it wasn't and the guy why owned the wave runner gave my insurance Co the run around untill I was able to get it from the cop, so if you ever get hit on the water GET THE INFO THEN AND THERE your insurance Co can only do so much plus if the damage is more than $500 you should get a police report. It's a hastle but it's worse as you can see not to get a report.
Mike

Sortasober

Rarely fish w/o the kids
Mar 3, 2006
Tustin
Name
Steve
Boat
Sold the last 3, now looking
$50 have the Sheriff's Dept drop off a letter to em

toxsick

Feb 28, 2006
CA
Name
Darin
Boat
25, Trophy, Headhunter
Check out zaba search for name, address, age, and partial birth date.

dc

brant48

Dec 12, 2006
Sun Diego
Name
Man of Interest
Boat
Striper 21 Wa......Vengeance
Its pretty much a waste of time......and time is money for all the money you spend hiring a PI to track him down, you could probably just go to small claims with his address but you still have to waste time serving him with the papers. Hardly worth your time and money for a 500 deductible??? To each his own but I have had my car hit on two separate occasions by clowns with no insurance.........If you can verifiy the person was uninsured SOME not all insurance companies will waive the deductible if you have a waiver on your policy............