Boat Project Finally Worth a Share

PNWMatt2016

Sep 12, 2016
Bothell
Name
Matt Frazier
Boat
Need One!
I have always wanted to own a boat....Whether or not it was for me to go out solo, take a friend or family member, well now, to take my kids out and get them hooked. My wife...well, she is in no rush for us to get a boat...Something about saving money, using the funds for other things, not having another monthly payment...I dunno, I wasn't listening to everything she was saying. About two months ago, I found a lady on FB who was gifting a 14' Hewes Craft Aluminum V-Hull...They had a pond on their property and the kids were no longer into it; I snagged it the same hour she posted it. It was rough...dusty, dirty, 3 wooden bench seats with warped tin, rotten transom board and some rivets that needed fixing. The next day I found a guy selling a trailer in Burien, didn't have a title and needed some paint. It was solid, nothing but surface rust. I offered him $150 and he took it. That next day began my biggest project I've taken on. Over the last two months, I've spent countless nights and weekend days overhauling this sucker to get it fishing ready and wife/kid approved...Let's just say I added enough extra comforts so that if they came out with me, I wouldn't be hearing "I have to pee, can we run back in", "It's too sunny, I'm hot", "my back hurts from these seats, "i'm ready to be done". etc etc. I first ripped off the transom, tried some weather strong ply wood, didn't work so well, went to PVC Board, which has amazing flex and is sealed on-top of everything with a white primer. I removed all three bench seats and created a flushed deck, as I wanted the kids to be able to walk forward and aft without having to climb over each bench. I used quite a bit of 2 part pour foam, some egg crate and 2x4's for stringers. Finished it with 1/8" diamond plate and some sea decking strips. I added a single bench across the back with a sheet of timber tech board running down the aluminum angle bars where the swivel seats would attach to. Forward, I added to extra locations of angled brackets where I could lay more Timber Tech boards across to make a false hatch lid. Below this lid is where my 6 gallon fuel tank and deep cycle battery would sit, above would be another swivel seat location. I added a scotty crab pot pulley on the bow, so that we could have a little extra leverage when we pull pots or an anchor line up. With the sides being so low on the boat, I made make-shift railings from 1/2" by 6 inch steel tubes with 1 inch PVC tubes laying across the tops and running from bow to stern. I found 2 mini lake troller style downriggers on FB Marketplace for $35 each. Bought 4 fish on rod holders from a guy on craigslist for $30. Added of them right near the down riggers, put 6 inch extensions on to clear the railing, and I'm fishing... I decided to go with a 2 color paint job, White Hull and Blue Sides. I used Top Side Paint, which turned out to be fantastic product. Well, what is going to push this thing through the water. I thought about going 15 horse, however with the pandemic, everyone's outboards (used/new) went up significantly in price for some reason lol... And I did not want to add more weight if I didn't have to. I found a guy "forced to sell" his 98' Johnson 2 stroke 8HP outboard..I ran over, the wife had laid it on it's side in the garage (first mistake)..he couldn't keep it running and they were moving to Oklahoma..She made make an offer (on his $400 asking price)..I told them it needed new spark plugs and probably a carb rebuild.. Pulled out another $150 cash and walked off with my next steal. After having a buddy help me with the carb rebuild and playing with the idle, she was good to go! My parents wanted to get me something for father's day, as I had told them to pass on it originally..Come July, half way through this, they wanted to get the kids out there fishing, so they picked me up a 55lb Minn Kota Riptide Trolling Motor...So here we are, a couple months later, about $800 into this and first day sea trial yesterday in the books! I'm excited to have this is a my starting boat...Hopefully the wife will get excited seeing the kids having a blast and down the road we can upgrade to my dream offshore salt boat. Until then, tight lines and enjoy the pics. Thanks for all the people who helped with ideas, thoughts, suggestions for improvement, knowledge over all! Bud, Nathan, Goat, and many more! If I could fit all of you, I would take you out... But we'd sink this tin can!

20210604_134425.jpg

20210605_174154.jpg

20210605_174855.jpg

20210606_224519.jpg

20210606_231831.jpg

20210606_231951.jpg

20210607_144412.jpg

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
Dude, why not at least twins??? 👍👍

Upvote 0

PNWMatt2016

Sep 12, 2016
Bothell
Name
Matt Frazier
Boat
Need One!
Blood hit the deck! We capped her out with max weight and gear the other day..After all my kids blankets, ipad, snacks, cooler etc.. We fished with everyone and their brother yesterday outfront of Mukilteo. Launched at 630, fished until 930. 6 fish on. 3 landed. All pinks. Saw 1 nice coho roll next to us.. trolling the usual white flasher, pink hoochie with brined herring strips tipped on the hook.

20210826_110144.jpg

IMG_1386.jpg

20210826_204842.jpg

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Blood hit the deck! We capped her out with max weight and gear the other day..After all my kids blankets, ipad, snacks, cooler etc.. We fished with everyone and their brother yesterday outfront of Mukilteo. Launched at 630, fished until 930. 6 fish on. 3 landed. All pinks. Saw 1 nice coho roll next to us.. trolling the usual white flasher, pink hoochie with brined herring strips tipped on the hook.

View attachment 1313239

View attachment 1313240

View attachment 1313241
    THE LITTLE ONE LOOKS STOKED!!! CUTE

Reactions: PNWMatt2016
    Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
    Nov 30, 2010
    Redondo/WA
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    SOLID work......that opens open alot of ground for you. Hope to see you at CQ and/or NB next year. That can fish Waadah/Cave in most weather in the summer...great job...

Upvote 0