Dexter Outdoors

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
It also has a lot to do with the group of souls paying to go....i've been on the same boat two days in a row...same crew same capt and cook ,,,the boat was the same .....but with a whole new group and it can be like a light switch was thrown.
on the first day there was this whiner that was second guessing everything the crew and captain did..all day non stop.....it poisoned the entire atomsphere...as soon as they all left and a new group got on it was an amazing difference.
Yes I was on the crew both days and we were all more tired then the last day......I will never forget that whiners face.

Reactions: Otis2527
Upvote 0

reellady

I'd rather be catching TUNA
Aug 26, 2011
fresno, ca usa
Name
donna
Boat
reel lady
Captains and crew really make a difference. Captains that cuss out crew in front of us really turns me off even if he puts us on the fish. I would rather have less fish and a friendly captain, makes for a better trip.

Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Walnut Creek CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
Hello D Penton,

Your question is so subjective it is difficult to answer. Many subtleties depending on crew, passengers and your personality. You and I could be on the same trip and experience things very differently. All LR boats and their crews are very good. If you want to know their "personality", go on a trip to discover which personalities work best for you. That is how most of us found our favorites...

- Jeff Burroughs

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Is it the boat, the skipper, the crew, or the cook. You will find one that works for you. For me that is a stable crew and office. I got to be honost when a new guy comes on board it is not instant love. That changes always though. The best always stay on as a team.

Upvote 0

bob1825

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 11, 2007
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Anyone the fits my schedule
    As others have posted, you just need to get out there and try different lr boats to find one that fits you. I've done several lr trips but haven't repeated boats yet because I want to try them all out. I still need to try the Red Rooster 3 (planning 2017 trip), American Angler, Royal Star and Polaris Star. I've never had a lr boat with bad captain or crew, they are all professional and do a great job. It's the other passengers that have the biggest impact. Good thing is that you don't have to interact with anyone who rubs you the wrong way.

Reactions: Bill W
    Upvote 0

alan760

Dec 7, 2003
    Encinitas, CA
    Name
    Alan
    Boat
    American Angler
    Is it the boat, the skipper, the crew, or the cook. You will find one that works for you. For me that is a stable crew and office. I got to be honost when a new guy comes on board it is not instant love. That changes always though. The best always stay on as a team.

Agree with that. I judge a boat based on the front office person, Capt, Crew, and Chef. I would give slightly more weight to the front office since this is the person you deal with before the trip even starts.

Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
    Apr 4, 2003
    Tucson
    Visit site
    Name
    David Tang
    Boat
    Intrepid
    Agree with that. I judge a boat based on the front office person, Capt, Crew, and Chef. I would give slightly more weight to the front office since this is the person you deal with before the trip even starts.

Interesting.....I think the office staff is important as far as getting logistics and finances straight but IMO the Captain, chef and crew are much more important as I will be sharing close quarters and actually be fishing with them with them for a week to two weeks as opposed to a brief encounter with the office personal....the captain will get us on fish and set the game plan the front office has zero to do with the actual fishing experience.

IMO Choosing a boat is like choosing a girl friend/boy friend....everyone has different tastes, needs and styles and certain boats and crews will appeal to different people....and IMO you need to "date" a few to find your ideal match....sure sometimes it is love at first sight....but not usually..... sometimes your honey will disappoint you but if you ask the folks that have been doing this for any length of time most have a favorite boat and crew and you forgive them and try again , if the transgression(s) continue then a change of operations may be in order.

Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    Captains and crew really make a difference. Captains that cuss out crew in front of us really turns me off even if he puts us on the fish. I would rather have less fish and a friendly captain, makes for a better trip.
    How about when the captain chews out the passengers.? It has happened and still does, but not as often.

Upvote 0

Reverendpdp

Jun 10, 2016
    People's Republic of South Florida
    Name
    D Penton
    Boat
    Not Yet
    Well I was prompted to ask the question mainly because several guys mentioned it, BUT also because in the cruise ship industry (yes completely different I know...), certain ships have their personality. Carnival is known as a party boat for the younger crowd. Holland is known for it's class but gearing to the more mature crowd. Norwegian and Royal Caribbean are somewhere in between. Some include everything that is high end, others nickel and dime you for every other extra and offer what amounts to cafeteria food. Do the LR boats fit some of these designations?

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    The guys in the galley, whether cooks or chefs, can play a vital role in keeping up morale when fishing is slow.

You have the captain and 3 crew members in the binos looking for fish, one on the tank.
    People congregate in the galley and the cooks keep their spirits up. Experienced it on a
    short trip on the Rooster with Stan in the kitchen.

Upvote 0

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
    Mexico, DF, Mexico
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Strictly a Rider
    I think captains and crews do have personalities, but (as at least one other poster has said), it is the other anglers on the trip that really seem to tell the tale. Some trips are just AMAZING because of the group. Others, well...

Unfortunately it is not ALWAYS predictable. I have been a repeat player on a trip where the first time it was off the charts, and the next time the change of just a few people really changed the whole dynamic.

Nowadays I really only fish a couple of boats, and I try to get on a charter with people I know and with whom I like to fish. My schedule makes it challenging sometimes. Even so, it's great to be able to fish with a group of friends when you can.

But as a general rule, all of the groups with whom I have fished have plenty of nice folks. It takes a pretty special set of circumstances for me to say "I don't want to fish with these guys again." Has only happened twice in 16 years. And I can't say for sure how much my own attitude may have played a role.

As long as you come with a good attitude, I think you're pretty much guaranteed to have a great time.

Reactions: $norkle
    Upvote 0

jimm

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jul 31, 2003
    North San Diego County
    Visit site
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    none
    How about when the captain chews out the passengers.? It has happened and still does, but not as often.
    You probably aren't listening to him!

You will be a better because of it!

Upvote 0

fujirose

Jan 17, 2009
    Roseville, CA
    Name
    Jim Fujitani
    Boat
    21' Seaswirl
    One point that has not been discussed: How were the folks of the previous trip with their interactions with the crew?!
    I have seen sour attitudes carry over to our charter from bad interactions during the previous trip.

We recognize that we are all humans and we all have bad days. Give the crewman a little room. After a few hours or a day, the crewman remembered who we are and he relaxed.

The crew is working, but that doesn't mean we can't help them smile and also enjoy working the decks/galley/wheelhouse on our trip.

Upvote 0

dtf

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 16, 2004
    So. Bay Ca
    Name
    David
    Boat
    22ft, Pursuit
    Some times crew members need to be reminded what and how there job should be done. That's why he is called the Captain.
    That Captain is also one of the most fishie captains in the fleet.

Upvote 0

Rhatical

Captain
    Oct 22, 2003
    San Diego
    Visit site
    Name
    Bob
    Boat
    SD Fleet
    IMO Choosing a boat is like choosing a girl friend/boy friend....everyone has different tastes, needs and styles and certain boats and crews will appeal to different people....and IMO you need to "date" a few to find your ideal match....sure sometimes it is love at first sight....but not usually..... sometimes your honey will disappoint you but if you ask the folks that have been doing this for any length of time most have a favorite boat and crew and you forgive them and try again , if the transgression(s) continue then a change of operations may be in order.

Completely agree with this, and do believe they each do have a distinctive "personality" based on the boat and crew.

Upvote 0

okie man

Oct 24, 2006
    new palestine indiana
    Name
    kerry way
    Boat
    18' javalin
    When they feel and treat you like family! It goes from a fishing trip to a reunion ! I have a favorite captain ! Not because he puts you on more fish, has the biggest boat or biggest ego! He knows how to entertain you, keep you positive in tough bites, tells you about the ecosystems your fishing ! I've never fished with a bad captain but I would consider him the best of the best!

Upvote 0

$norkle

May 6, 2008
    Corvallis,OR
    Name
    Bruce
    Boat
    In my dreams!
    When they feel and treat you like family! It goes from a fishing trip to a reunion ! I have a favorite captain ! Not because he puts you on more fish, has the biggest boat or biggest ego! He knows how to entertain you, keep you positive in tough bites, tells you about the ecosystems your fishing ! I've never fished with a bad captain but I would consider him the best of the best!

For sure this is the most important attribute. LR trips are vacations with fishing thrown in. The welcoming attitude of captain and crew can make any trip a memorable experience regardless of the fishing-----if they treat you like extended family, all the better. And the ugly truth is that LR boats and their clientele do have personalities----and they usually begin with the captain and crew. That's neither good nor bad, but it provides virtually everyone with a boat suited to their taste; those personalities eventually are reflected by the regulars that patronize that boat---again neither good nor bad, but observably different.

I've been on 4 LR boats. One I only rode once and would never (repeat: NEVER) ride again regardless of being very fishy. Two others I probably won't ride again even though they were mostly okay experiences in spite of some passengers that I would have left behind, and the other has become my regular ride. Every one of them has regulars that swear by them---and for good reason in that they produce good catches, but for me anyway, the crew and passengers around me on the trip are priority #1.

Upvote 0

albacore11

Member Intrepid 200# Club
    May 19, 2006
    Crowley Lake, CA
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    Gone but not forgotten
    Some boats still think fish counts are the only measure, like I used to.[/QUOTE]

As do some anglers. I will take quality over quantity every single time. I do not fish for limits, only taking the fish I can make good use of.. Several of each species is good, if the trip offers that selection. There is only so much room in my freezers.

Reactions: Anglewood
    Upvote 0