BOAT OWNERS BEWARE

AKEMI TOO

Nov 20, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Name
Steven
Boat
21 Seaswirl Stripper W/A
Went to do service work on my outboards this morning only to discover things in my cabin had been gone through. Didn't see anything missing until I looked around the boat. I couldn't believe it, they had taken all my gaffs (5 altogether). In all my 35 years of fishing I've heard of other things being taken but never gaffs. Times must be desperate, so just a warning to all my fellow boaters, BEWARE.

Beamer94107

Jan 8, 2013
Ewa Beach, Hi, USA
Name
Pete
Boat
Crystal B
Went to do service work on my outboards this morning only to discover things in my cabin had been gone through. Didn't see anything missing until I looked around the boat. I couldn't believe it, they had taken all my gaffs (5 altogether). In all my 35 years of fishing I've heard of other things being taken but never gaffs. Times must be desperate, so just a warning to all my fellow boaters, BEWARE.

Beamer94107

Jan 8, 2013
Ewa Beach, Hi, USA
Name
Pete
Boat
Crystal B
Sorry for the theft of your gaffs. When I take my boat in for service I remove everything. I mean everything. Where did you take your boat to be serviced?

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Steven,
So sorry to hear about the missing gaffs. Hey i might have one you could use until you replace 'em. Now I'm thinkin' maybe I'll keep the bang stick loaded when i leave the boat. I can see it now... " look, cool bang stick" the perp swings it around and blows a hole thru his buddy. Oh bummer.

It sounds good but i'd never do it.

Thievery sucks
Pat

AKEMI TOO

Nov 20, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Name
Steven
Boat
21 Seaswirl Stripper W/A
Pete was doing the service at home, my boats on a trailer. Pat thanks for the offer but I'll probably go to POP and get a cheap one so I won't feel bad if it's taken. Must not have been fishermen cause they didn't touch my fly gaff or bang stick. What a hassle now have to think about taking everything off and loading it in the morning before I leave home.

JimmyK

Fisherman wannabe
Jun 1, 2009
Waipahu, Hawaii
Name
JimmyK
Boat
17' Seaswirl Striper CC, Krystana C.
Steven, sorry to hear of your predicament today. I will look and see what I have. You need a meathook? I think I have one hook left, gotta weld on a handle.

changboy

Nov 9, 2009
Honolulu
Name
Brian
Boat
"PARIS C" 23 sportcraft custom
Steven, that's a real bummer and a reflection of the times, sad to say!

Hij

Aug 1, 2011
Mililani HI
Name
Jason Hijirida
Boat
25 Force, PAIGE H
Sorry to hear about your boat Steven! That sucks. Got a phone call about your post and was told to empty out my boat. Then tonight at 11:30pm I get a call from my mom and she told me someone was by my boat! WTF! I tell you what is this island coming to?! We work so hard to maintain our stuff and take care of what you got only to get stuff stolen! I guess we gotta lock everything up.

Beauchat2

Aug 21, 2012
oahu
Name
Russ
Boat
22 Force flybridge DEEEEZEL, 16 Arima Sandbar Queen
Sorry to hear about that Steve.

Kinaiahi61

Jan 17, 2012
Lihue, Hi
Name
Kalani
Boat
Kai Kea
Sorry to hear!!! I live on Kaua'i in what I thought was a good neighborhood but things were stolen all around us. You just can't trust anymore. May God heap burning coals on their head. Good luck and hope you load up the boat next trip out. Aloha and be safe.

untensan

Jan 30, 2010
Kealakekua
Name
Terry
Boat
21' Seacat CC
A couple of weeks ago someone stole 3 gold reels off a boat at a residence in Kainaliu town. Kona is not what it used to be. I'm thinking its the drugs and the high unemplyment. I'm surprised no one has gotten a "lead enima" yet.

JimmyK

Fisherman wannabe
Jun 1, 2009
Waipahu, Hawaii
Name
JimmyK
Boat
17' Seaswirl Striper CC, Krystana C.
Lock up all your gear, anything that can just pick up, people will steal it. Out of sight, out of mind. Now gotta be more cautious when you see used gear for sale...

AKEMI TOO

Nov 20, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Name
Steven
Boat
21 Seaswirl Stripper W/A
Thanks everybody for all the kind words. Like Jimmy said have to be cautious about buying used gear. Just can't imagine there's much of a market for used gaffs, only trollers would buy them. Hawaii ranks last in the US for boat ownership per capita, maybe only about 14K registered in the state. If you take out the skiers, joy riders, sailboats and live aboards there can't be too many left for fishing state wide. Especially since that's statewide, Oahu's share is only a part of what's left. Thanks again and be careful everybody.

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Steven,
So sorry to hear about your theft report! These inconsiderate people make it so difficult to trust anyone anymore, not to mention making our lives more difficult by takin extra measures after a long and hard day of fishing to ensure that our treasured gear is ALL LOCKED UP!
On one long day fishing I got home around 6:30pm and instead of putting everything away which would have taken at least another hour I decided to just lay down my rod and gold reels in my garage and have dinner with my wife and daughter and take care of things later. After about 30 minutes I went back down to finish putting things away only to find that someone had ripped off my 5 rod and reels! Laying in my driveway was my fishbag loaded with akus, 6 Mahis and 2 Onos which they didn't even touch! Thanks to my home owners insurance (because rod and reels were in my garage) I was able to replace them .......but what an inconvienience. I'm sure there are a lot of tales among us fisherman relating to something being stolen from them.....you are definitely not alone. I share in your anger and mistrust of mankind! What happened to the ALOHA that made Hawaii such a special place to live! May you recover from your losses and be blessed with rewards far greater than what you lost!

wadesauto

May 6, 2009
Waipahu/HI
Name
wade
Boat
2150 seaswirl -FANTASEA
sorry about your loss. we've encountered a incident where someone walked into our garage and manage to take 2 rod and reels with a 12/0 and 14/0. glad that was before we invested in some shimanos. people now days are desperate. we unload everything ( even pedestal seats and life jackets. we load up in the morning. it's a hassle but better to be safe.

Ulele2

Jun 5, 2011
Honolulu/HI
Name
James
Boat
20' Tiara/Ulele II
Gotta watch out! All these fucking crackheads will steal all your shit without even thinking! They broke into my parents house, took all my gold reels, my Furuno fishfinder, my Garmin GPS, (I keep EVERYTHING) in the house. A year later, the fuckers broke in again, but this time, there was an alarm that was installed with motion sensors and it went off, scaring them away, but not before they got a few small reels and some of my mom's jewelry. I hope those fuckers get caught by the cops or better yet, somebody that'll teach 'em a good lesson about stealing people's shit!

AKEMI TOO

Nov 20, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Name
Steven
Boat
21 Seaswirl Stripper W/A
On a smaller note, a head's up I had my safety check sticker off my trailer stolen too. In the past I've bought used fishing gear, but after a friend got ripped off I'm much more cautious. Now if I don't know the person, I watch out, I ask them the name of the boat it came off of, or at least what kind of boat they have, maybe what kind of motors they have or where they fish. Sometimes they say they sold their boat, but I still ask what kind of boat and maybe a few more questions. I've fished long enough to know when they don't know what they're talking about or they sound fishy, then I tell them no I don't think I'm interested. Maybe if there's no market for the stuff they might stop taking them.

Sep 21, 2010
12 miles @ 52 degrees
Name
Dave
Boat
24' Thunderbird
Sorry to hear that. To bad get lazy dumb ass punks out there that cannot work for a living that they gotta steal from us hard working fisherman. I have my boat in front of my house and also take out everything from my boat except my fiberglass fishbox. Hopefully some asso don't take my fish box. If you like borrow my gaffs, let me know since I hardly fishing because of work.

AKEMI TOO

Nov 20, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Name
Steven
Boat
21 Seaswirl Stripper W/A
Thanks for the offer Dave, went to Hanapaa and got some economy gaffs. At least if I forget and leave them in the boat I won't feel so bad if they're gone. Just the hassle of now having to think about taking everything out of the boat and re-loading early in the morning. My boat is in my driveway about 30 feet from the house, guess nowadays nothing is sacred. Oh well live and learn.

oiohunter

Sep 28, 2012
Honolulu
Name
Steven Abe
Boat
none
In the early 90s somebody stole rods and reels from my Grandmother's house in Holualoa twice! The gear They stole 2 custom graphite trolling rods that I wrapped for my uncle with the one 80SW and 130H Penn Internationals along with a 50SW brand new in the box. All of the rods I wrapped have his name on it under a layer of flexcoat. The thefts were reported to the Police but nothing was recovered. What hurt the most is that the rods were hand wrapped with underwrap patterns that I came up with and have not seen anyone duplicate it. Need to lock everything up now days. Too many crooks out there. You have to take the rods and reels in the house and lock them up. Cannot store them in a garage locker. I heard too many stories of gear stolen out of home garages out here in Honolulu. I feel for you - guys are going to steal anything to make a buck. Better to be safe than sorry.

- - - Updated - - -

In the early 90s somebody stole rods and reels from my Grandmother's house in Holualoa twice! The gear They stole 2 custom graphite trolling rods that I wrapped for my uncle with the one 80SW and 130H Penn Internationals along with a 50SW brand new in the box. All of the rods I wrapped have his name on it under a layer of flexcoat. The thefts were reported to the Police but nothing was recovered. What hurt the most is that the rods were hand wrapped with underwrap patterns that I came up with and have not seen anyone duplicate it. Need to lock everything up now days. Too many crooks out there. You have to take the rods and reels in the house and lock them up. Cannot store them in a garage locker. I heard too many stories of gear stolen out of home garages out here in Honolulu. I feel for you - guys are going to steal anything to make a buck. Better to be safe than sorry.

AKEMI TOO

Nov 20, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Name
Steven
Boat
21 Seaswirl Stripper W/A
I know how you feel Steven, it was only gaffs, but one of them was the first gaff my wife and I bought 30 years ago. It's not just the loss but that there was sentimental value connected with it. I can replace them but never the memories that went with that gaff.

force21

Oldie
Mar 3, 2009
Kailua Hi USA
Name
Glenn
Boat
21 Force JAYMIELYN
I know how you feel Steven, it was only gaffs, but one of them was the first gaff my wife and I bought 30 years ago. It's not just the loss but that there was sentimental value connected with it. I can replace them but never the memories that went with that gaff.
Sorry to read about the theft Steven. I know these cowardly thieves will find any means to steal from hard working people that has to BUY their own stuff. All we can do is try to discourage the resale of items by personalizing them. I will keep an eye open for anyone selling used fishing equipment.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry to read about the theft Steven. I know these cowardly thieves will find any means to steal from hard working people that has to BUY their own stuff. All we can do is try to discourage the resale of items by personalizing them. I will keep an eye open for anyone selling used fishing equipment.