Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Another point is when the fish is close he will come high on the outside circle and go low on the inside circle. When he goes high you want to pull, called cutting off the circle. When he goes low, you want to go low to guide him around the boat hull.

Olddog8

Well-Known "Member"
May 13, 2012
Poway,ca
Name
Rick
Boat
Sold long ago
I’m my earlier days I admit I was prone to getting way too excited when a big fish was close to the boat. The sudden shot of adrenaline even after a long fight hits you when you finally see your adversary. As I have gotten older and smarter, I’ve learned to keep myself settled and just do what I have been doing to get them there and not get carried away at the boat. I’ve seen plenty of the bigger bluefin earn their freedom because of trying to horse them in at the end.
I did not mean to imply "horsing them in", far from it. I'm simply saying that it is very easy to get a little slack in the line at the end if you are not careful. Big fish is pulling hard, that's what you expect, then 30' bellow the boat turns into 3' because the fish stopped for a second. That kind of moment is what you need to watch for and maintain pressure. Difference between rushing and maintaining pressure on the hook.

Let em eat 74

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 12, 2016
Anaheim Hills
Name
Kevin
Boat
Whichever1is leaving
I did not post to single you out at all Rick. I was just adding another thought to the discussion. I’m in total agreement with David as I have found doing anything different in the last moments sometimes makes for a bad reaction from the fish. They often tell you when they are done and staying calm and in tune with what’s going on helps immensely in finding that moment.

Reactions: Olddog8

Cubeye

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Steady and smooth.......

and never ask or encourage the crew to dig for a fish.......I have seen many a fish lost because a crew member digs and hits the fish and it doesn't stick or tears out which lights the fish up on ten feet of line....something usually fails......

Last trip I had a cow at color pretty quick and it was still hot....a crew man stuck the fish before the others were ready.... it tore out just as another crew got his gaff into the fish it literally ripped the gaff through is hands taking a bunch of skin off....I still had my reel in gear and the fish ripped off 100 yards in a heart beat....well we finally got it but it took another 30 minutes....214# of adrenaline charged tuna....I got lucky..... it usually doesn't end well.
I wonder how Tommy Rothery felt when he free gaffed that Cow? Or was it a Super?

mmayo

Barking Spider
Jul 18, 2006
Tehachapi, CA
www.landofmayo.com
Name
Mark
Boat
Vagabond & Royal Star
650BB6CD-0F4C-4695-8F71-65C1BF935F3D.jpeg
Last year at Guadalupe on the Vagabond I caught a nice one (138#) on boat length mono, lost one at color on boat length mono and heard the very thorough and excellent seminar from Mike Lackey. He said among many useful tips to use a boat length of mono. Another angler landed four over 100# on a Penn Fathom 40 with 80 spectra and lots of topshot mono. I love fluoro, but sometimes it helps me catch more and bigger fish when I do what the expert guy tells me to do. I had short topshot rigs ready just in case.

PS - RIP Kyle. (another great deckhand on the Vagabond)

effigy

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 18, 2007
Oregon
Name
Mark
Boat
Which one? Too many....
Any new thoughts on this topic? Especially for bluefin?

Signed, stuck at home.

Aug 17, 2017
Califonia
Name
Scott
Boat
Shogun
Any new thoughts on this topic? Especially for bluefin?

Signed, stuck at home.
There are great points on both sides of this. I’ve caught and lost fish using both techniques. I think it will come down to personal preference on this. What you as the angler has confidence in. Most of the rods I use are 7.5- 8ft. I think this helps with shock in the end game. A properly set drag is key as well. My vote is for spectre to flouro leader of various lengths ( depending on conditions).
I have to say the hidden gem or takeaway in this thread is the keeping calm and steady at the end. I think I can remember hearing Ed on the PQ say “breathe through your nose and keep a bend in the rod”.
great memories
Scott

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Highliner
I have found a little bit longer topshot gets me more bites with BFT and in PV with YFT.
Certainly not a boat length, and, in fact, zero mono!
I’m just saying what works for me.
Since changing to a 25-30 foot topshot of straight FC, I’m getting way more bites than I was with 10-15 feet.
And I am not pulling any hooks, plenty of stretch if you ask me.
YMMV

Aug 17, 2017
Califonia
Name
Scott
Boat
Shogun
I have found a little bit longer topshot gets me more bites with BFT and in PV with YFT.
Certainly not a boat length, and, in fact, zero mono!
I’m just saying what works for me.
Since changing to a 25-30 foot topshot of straight FC, I’m getting way more bites than I was with 10-15 feet.
And I am not pulling any hooks, plenty of stretch if you ask me.
YMMV
I do the same but only up to 18ft. Was told to do at least 15ft by Blake on the Star. Maybe I will bump it up next trip.
thanks
Scott

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
Aug 14, 2016
Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
Name
Eric Marin
Boat
10' Model T
I've been doing the same for a while on everything, and it's nice on the lighter gear not having to retie leaders, you just have to be attentive to to where your line is, hooked up or not, to other lines/hooked fish, boat/anchor, etc. as to not chafe up the entirety of your fluoro but I can last the whole season even if you're fishing multiple times a week. Fluoro is a lot more resilient than most give it credit for.

red_teppin

Aug 8, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Boat
no
Not sure if it applies to fish but, I’ve been in water when others were fishing.

Under the conditions at the time, the white spectra looked like a laser beam, almost glowing. My friends mono was nearly invisible.

Reactions: Cubeye
Aug 17, 2017
Califonia
Name
Scott
Boat
Shogun
Not sure if it applies to fish but, I’ve been in water when others were fishing.

Under the conditions at the time, the white spectra looked like a laser beam, almost glowing. My friends mono was nearly invisible.
It doesn’t seem to effect the bite ratio that I’ve experienced. Quite the contrary.
ymrv
Regards
Scott

Reactions: Fishybuzz

mmayo

Barking Spider
Jul 18, 2006
Tehachapi, CA
www.landofmayo.com
Name
Mark
Boat
Vagabond & Royal Star
If you look at my gear you will see mostly very short 4’-5’ fluoro top shots. When Mike Lackey does the seminar and emphatically says to do something, I do it. I changed and got three hookups: one lost to jaws, one heartbreaker break off at gaff and the fish shown with long tops. I also follow Blake in the Star when with him. Like they say “listen to the experts who are on in the water daily”.

Last edited:
Reactions: FishRock and Bill W

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Like they say “listen to the experts who are on in the water daily”.
Has worked for me on many occasions. Only thing I would add is to do what they say immediately if they repeat themselves. Usually results in a hookup within the next bait or two.

Last edited:

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Those pearls of wisdom from the skipper are priceless, can't count how many shitty days turned to good ones when they see what you're doing and tell you what you're doing wrong. Leader length, winding too fast or slow, right depth,wrong hook.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Yep once at Hurricane Bank on the Intrepid.......slow early AM bite....I come out on deck kinda late drinking my coffee everyone is already flylining their bait...Capt Kevin comes down from the house and says "someone may want to try a sinker rig" well all the people had their baits out and didn't want to bring them in.... I get a 100# set up rubber band a 4 oz sinker, stick 3 sardines on my hook through the eyes and drop it straight down 30' down my line stops...two hours later I got a 254# laying on the deck.....yea it pays to listen.

Attachments

Last edited:

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Those pearls of wisdom from the skipper are priceless, can't count how many shitty days turned to good ones when they see what you're doing and tell you what you're doing wrong. Leader length, winding too fast or slow, right depth,wrong hook.
If you ever find yourself questioning the skipper, you are either on the wrong boat or might be a moron.