"Boat Length of Mono"

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by effigy, Mar 16, 2018.

1. RideHPD

RideHPD Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie

Name:
    Eric Marin
    Boat:
    10' Model T
    Having read your posts before I figured you would appreciate the analogy, I only meant that I don't mean to speak beyond my experience and am open to finding out I'm wrong, especially when tuna are the topic of discussion.

dh515, Cubeye and Fishybuzz like this.
  2. RideHPD

RideHPD Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie

Name:
    Eric Marin
    Boat:
    10' Model T
    Are the close-to-the-boat escapes mostly pulled hooks or broken line? I was under the impression they were predominantly tackle failures.

3. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    The fish close to the boat will sometimes roll over and pull the hook. Close to the boat sometimes the fish may take a run in to boat gear like rudder or screw or the sonar dome.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    ReelDealAngler-, Steve K and dh515 like this.
  4. Olddog8

Olddog8 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Sold long ago
    I have limited experience compared to many, but I've seen a lot of pulled hooks on lost fish. On the last trip, a couple brave and experienced anglers broke off on 80lb. Closser to home in the last couple years I've seen big Bluefin chew through, mostly because the fight was taking too long (IMHO); after 90 minutes shit goes wrong. Anglers simply were under gunned and/or were overwhelmed by how hard big tuna pull and didn't fish hard enough (again IMHO). Lines break, but the longer the fight, the bigger the hole worn in the fish gets. Doesn't take much for a hook to fall out of a worn spot. Add the weight of a jig and it's even worst.

DesotoBound, freegaff2 and Bill W like this.
  5. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    I’m my earlier days I admit I was prone to getting way too excited when a big fish was close to the boat. The sudden shot of adrenaline even after a long fight hits you when you finally see your adversary. As I have gotten older and smarter, I’ve learned to keep myself settled and just do what I have been doing to get them there and not get carried away at the boat. I’ve seen plenty of the bigger bluefin earn their freedom because of trying to horse them in at the end.

Olddog8 and stephen campbell like this.
  6. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Who said this: “I hate it when that happens!”

Oh, yeah. That was me

bparker1225 likes this.
  7. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

Steady and smooth.......

and never ask or encourage the crew to dig for a fish.......I have seen many a fish lost because a crew member digs and hits the fish and it doesn't stick or tears out which lights the fish up on ten feet of line....something usually fails......

Last trip I had a cow at color pretty quick and it was still hot....a crew man stuck the fish before the others were ready.... it tore out just as another crew got his gaff into the fish it literally ripped the gaff through is hands taking a bunch of skin off....I still had my reel in gear and the fish ripped off 100 yards in a heart beat....well we finally got it but it took another 30 minutes....214# of adrenaline charged tuna....I got lucky..... it usually doesn't end well.

Olddog8 and Bill W like this.
  8. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Another point is when the fish is close he will come high on the outside circle and go low on the inside circle. When he goes high you want to pull, called cutting off the circle. When he goes low, you want to go low to guide him around the boat hull.

sonofahab and Fishybuzz like this.
  9. Olddog8

Olddog8 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Sold long ago
    I did not mean to imply "horsing them in", far from it. I'm simply saying that it is very easy to get a little slack in the line at the end if you are not careful. Big fish is pulling hard, that's what you expect, then 30' bellow the boat turns into 3' because the fish stopped for a second. That kind of moment is what you need to watch for and maintain pressure. Difference between rushing and maintaining pressure on the hook.

10. Let em eat 74

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    I did not post to single you out at all Rick. I was just adding another thought to the discussion. I’m in total agreement with David as I have found doing anything different in the last moments sometimes makes for a bad reaction from the fish. They often tell you when they are done and staying calm and in tune with what’s going on helps immensely in finding that moment.

Olddog8 likes this.
  11. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    I wonder how Tommy Rothery felt when he free gaffed that Cow? Or was it a Super?

Fishybuzz and Olddog8 like this.
  12. Let em eat 74

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    I’m guessing he was “All shook up” Kub. Lol

Cubeye and Olddog8 like this.
  13. mmayo

mmayo Barking Spider

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Vagabond & Royal Star
    650BB6CD-0F4C-4695-8F71-65C1BF935F3D.jpeg Last year at Guadalupe on the Vagabond I caught a nice one (138#) on boat length mono, lost one at color on boat length mono and heard the very thorough and excellent seminar from Mike Lackey. He said among many useful tips to use a boat length of mono. Another angler landed four over 100# on a Penn Fathom 40 with 80 spectra and lots of topshot mono. I love fluoro, but sometimes it helps me catch more and bigger fish when I do what the expert guy tells me to do. I had short topshot rigs ready just in case.

PS - RIP Kyle. (another great deckhand on the Vagabond)

terryc. and fishboy93 like this.